Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

110 3rd Row AC - Condensation Buildup

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2024, 01:13 PM
Mudding
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default 110 3rd Row AC - Condensation Buildup

Anyone else have issues with condensation buildup in the 3rd row of their 110 by the rear pillar where the AC vent is? Specifically on the drivers side, the passenger side is unaffected.

Looks to be happening on the interior plastic and exterior square/rear side window. Maybe it’s because it’s extra humid outside right now, but I don’t recall this being a problem before.

Old 06-01-2024, 04:58 PM
Mudding
Received 107 Likes on 69 Posts

Could be just normal condensation from high humidity and drop in cold air temp. Think morning dew or clouds. Or you might have a clogged evaporator core drain tube. When you run the ac do you see the normal puddle under the vehicle? My additional question would be does a defender with rear AC have a separate and additional evaporator core and drain tube? Should you see two puddles under your car from two drain tubes?

The following users liked this post:
EchorecT7E (06-01-2024)
Old 06-01-2024, 05:36 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by SilverSFR
Could be just normal condensation from high humidity and drop in cold air temp. Think morning dew or clouds. Or you might have a clogged evaporator core drain tube. When you run the ac do you see the normal puddle under the vehicle? My additional question would be does a defender with rear AC have a separate and additional evaporator core and drain tube? Should you see two puddles under your car from two drain tubes?
Thanks for the pointers, I will also add it was doing this yesterday afternoon as well when I first discovered it. I had a PDR guy go in there to take out a few dents on the rear quarter panel of the car. Maybe they knocked something loose? I discovered this yesterday afternoon, so not isolated to a time of day/climate.

I haven’t thought to check any drain tubes. I think this morning I saw one puddle in the front and one out back. Definitely normally have one out front, but typically don’t have the 3rd row ac on so can’t comment on that.

It feels to me like the AC is coming out the side of the rear trim piece, not just through the vent. Like maybe the duct is loose or leaking or something.

Others who have the 3rd row AC - does it feel like it’s coming out the edge with the window as well when on full blast? See picture below.

Old 06-04-2024, 12:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

No, no HVAC leakage between interior plastics and the window on my 110. Mine just comes out the vent on the left and vent on the right (I have a 7 seater, so there's 2 vents, 5 seaters just have one side vent). I'm outside with my car and just checked after reading your post!

I'm somewhat attuned to this as my Discovery 2 with rear air leaks air through every crack and panel in the headliner, with little coming out of the vents and I've had a go to fix it a few times (with medium but not high success).

I bet your vent "tube" that channels air to the vent nozzle is knocked loose or something inside the panel. Would also explain the condensation.

Old 06-04-2024, 02:55 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by nashvegas
No, no HVAC leakage between interior plastics and the window on my 110. Mine just comes out the vent on the left and vent on the right (I have a 7 seater, so there's 2 vents, 5 seaters just have one side vent). I'm outside with my car and just checked after reading your post!

I'm somewhat attuned to this as my Discovery 2 with rear air leaks air through every crack and panel in the headliner, with little coming out of the vents and I've had a go to fix it a few times (with medium but not high success).

I bet your vent "tube" that channels air to the vent nozzle is knocked loose or something inside the panel. Would also explain the condensation.
Air was somehow seeping out between the tube and vent. Wonder why JLR didn’t really attach the tube to the vent piece… I think the foam that was there dried out. I used some 3M adhesive tape and superglue. Hopefully this will hold.

Larger issue is now my 2nd row door fixed window is coming loose. Since I hit 50k miles it’s always been something, this car feels like a bit of a curse. Hah

Old 06-04-2024, 08:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by EchorecT7E
Larger issue is now my 2nd row door fixed window is coming loose. Since I hit 50k miles it’s always been something, this car feels like a bit of a curse. Hah
Glad you found the rear air issue!

BTW I've read about other owners having the loose rear fixed window issue. I am not sure if the fix was a new window, or just reattaching it, but this is something that a # of folks on here had under warranty. I think if you search for it, there will be some information. I think in certain cases owners were reporting air leaks or noises while driving that sounded like a window open, and then the window turned out to be loose.