2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 110 HSE-Persistent Interior Creaking Sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 02:02 PM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great advice. Thank you. Will give it a shot!

The following users liked this post:
_Allegedly (10-08-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 04:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by Muppetry
I've seen that product mentioned a few times. Have you used it for this specific issue, or is it just a general recommendation?
Oh yes, on BMW's and Mercs. It's legit.

Over time the rubber loses moisture which causes it to shrink a little. When it shrinks, it gets less tight between the gaps which allows a little movement. The movement makes the squeaky.

Gummy Pflege absorbs in and replaces the moisture which swells the gasket and gives that nice tight fit back.

I first used it when a BMW service advisor gave me half a bottle because I couldn't wait to have it done at the shop. They've specified it in their TSB's over the years.

​​​​​​I've used Shin Etsu too. It's the Japanese/Honda version and you're going to meet people who will fight you if you say one is better.

https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Genuine-Shin-Etsu-Grease/dp/B006Z9TZ9M https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Genuine-Shin-Etsu-Grease/dp/B006Z9TZ9M

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MC-10164003-9999.pdf (121.0 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by _Allegedly; 10-08-2021 at 04:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
GavinC (10-09-2021), Muppetry (10-08-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 04:27 PM
Mudding
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
Oh yes, on BMW's and Mercs. It's legit.

Over time the rubber loses moisture which causes it to shrink a little. When it shrinks, it gets less tight between the gaps which allows a little movement. The movement makes the squeaky.

Gummy Pflege absorbs in and replaces the moisture which swells the gasket and gives that nice tight fit back.

I first used it when a BMW service advisor gave me half a bottle because I couldn't wait to have it done at the shop. They've specified it in their TSB's over the years.

​​​​​​I've used Shin Etsu too. It's the Japanese/Honda version and you're going to meet people who will fight you if you say one is better.

https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Genuine-Shin-Etsu-Grease/dp/B006Z9TZ9M
Thanks. I wasn't actually doubting that it is a good product - just wondering if it had been found to work for this specific issue. The silicone oil certainly appears to work, but I'm not sure how long it will last before need to be re-applied.

Old 10-08-2021, 04:38 PM
Pro Wrench

Thanks. I wasn't actually doubting that it is a good product - just wondering if it had been found to work for this specific issue. The silicone oil certainly appears to work, but I'm not sure how long it will last before need to be re-applied.
I hear you. Supposedly silicone oil eventually cracks the rubber (who knows?) and Gummy is water/alcohol based so it feeds rather than coats.

It also smells great and gives a nice 'detailed' look.

I can't say for sure it will fix this guys exact issue because it might not actually be the seals. It is a Land Rover after all so anything goes. I will say it has fixed similar annoying squeaks in 4 or 5 cars for me over the years.

He did say "holding the door closed" helps. Sounds like that helps close the rubber gap which is what this does.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 10-08-2021 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-08-2021, 04:52 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
I hear you. Supposedly silicone oil eventually cracks the rubber (who knows?) and Gummy is water/alcohol based so it feeds rather than coats.

It also smells great and gives a nice 'detailed' look.

I can't say for sure it will fix this guys exact issue because it might not actually be the seals. It is a Land Rover after all so anything goes. I will say it has fixed similar annoying squeaks in 4 or 5 cars for me over the years.

He did say "holding the door closed" helps. Sounds like that helps close the rubber gap which is what this does.
I've heard that about rubber and silicone oil before, but it doesn't make much sense from a materials perspective. Silicone oil is almost entirely inert, and is often used to lubricate rubber gaskets. I'll get some of the Gummy and try that if/when the silicone cure wears off.

Old 10-08-2021, 05:27 PM
Pro Wrench

I've heard that about rubber and silicone oil before, but it doesn't make much sense from a materials perspective. Silicone oil is almost entirely inert, and is often used to lubricate rubber gaskets. I'll get some of the Gummy and try that if/when the silicone cure wears off.
Right. Silicone grease is used extensively on o-rings for plumbing, swimming pool fittings, pumps, etc. It sounds off to me as well.

Old 10-08-2021, 06:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

I only use this and it’s fantastic. And German.

Dndicicco (10-18-2021)
Old 10-09-2021, 04:38 PM
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Can someone show this newbie a photo to show where I apply the stuff? I too have same freaking at top of door

Old 10-10-2021, 12:15 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by cookjw
Can someone show this newbie a photo to show where I apply the stuff? I too have same freaking at top of door
This is not a Defender but you can get a good idea how to use it by reading through. It's not always the most obvious area.

Sometimes it'll drive you bananas and you have to just keep working at it. I had a BMW once that had double seals and I just kept trying until I found this one spot on the outside rear trim.

https://www.tesladiygeek.com/2020/02/stopping-window-squeaks-and-noises-with.html?m=1

GrouseK9 (10-10-2021)
Old 10-10-2021, 02:51 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by cookjw
Did you look at post #8?

Quick Reply: 2020 110 HSE-Persistent Interior Creaking Sound