Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 Defender P400

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 01:37 AM
Overlanding
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2021 Defender P400

What’s the mileage for each oil change recommendation? I can’t find this anywhere in the manual or on the car. Thanks!

Old 05-29-2021, 06:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 682 Likes on 410 Posts

I believe it's 21,000 miles. I plan to change mine every 7500 miles using an extractor and Liqui Moly oil.

See Umberto's excellent video here: https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...-video-104279/

Our LR4 recommended change interval was 15,000 miles. I have changed it every 7500 and my timing chain guides are still quiet after 131,000 miles.

Old 05-29-2021, 07:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 268 Likes on 168 Posts

It’s 21K. A lot of super paranoid people still stick to 3K or 5K intervals but I’ll probably do a change at 10K since I’m just semi paranoid.

Old 05-29-2021, 04:36 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes with suggested spec synthetic I’d be sort-of comfortable with the 21k interval but I’ll be doing every 10k because it’s easy enough. If you’re running around in dirty, dusty environments and dirt roads often I’d consider something a bit less, but my defender is a part time off roaster at best. It’s also newer tech, and people like to hold on to old habit.

Theories abound, but the one I hold on to is that the manufacturer, backed by engineering studies, would have both a very high disincentive to overstate the interval (causing engine troubles under warranty) and at the same time would have an incentive to get people in to the service departments (to fuel additional revenue) by understating the interval, and yet it is still at 21k. Just following incentive logic.

The following 2 users liked this post by A Faceless Man:
GFranklin (06-10-2021), Kev M (05-29-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 10:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Pluto is a planet. The green trees around the Amazon river are a jungle. Rebooting is a valid solution approach to any problem on any digital device. Often large corporations are not logical -- and understanding their choices is not possible.

And Oil changes on internal combustion engines (even those with an 8 quart sump) are necessary at least every 10,000 miles (5,000 miles on a sunny day!) -- especially when the vehicle is off-road alot, it tows and the change is easy to do.

Fun times. Thanks for the sharing. I happily plead guilty as charged on all points -- experience is a double-edged sword.

Enjoy !!!

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 06-01-2021 at 10:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (06-11-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 11:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 308 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner

And Oil changes on internal combustion engines (even those with an 8 quart sump) are necessary at least every 10,000 miles (5,000 miles on a sunny day!) -- especially when the vehicle is off-road alot, it tows and the change is easy to do.
I know it's a stupid oil thread and you are being largely tongue in cheek. But I can testify from experience that this sort of blanket statement is patently false and harmful if only in the continued spreading of misinformation.

I have seen the insides of motors that lived with 15-18k oil changes for over 100k miles that looked pristine (some of which I know where thrashed mercilessly much of their lives).

I have seen oil sample test results from that same range that show the oil is good for continued use.

Yes, there are certainly conditions that reduce the numbers, and though I don't have any of the JLR data that led them to the 21k interval, but I feel confident between the huge sump and use of very high quality oils with significant additive packages that all but the most extreme uses should be fine for AT LEAST 10k miles, and most likely that full 20K+.

I don't think I've changed the oil on a personal 4-wheel vehicle in UNDER 8-10k miles in going on two decades, though many of those vehicles used ECU logic to monitor data such as engine temps, rpm, drive cycles etc. and would advise if data suggested more severe conditions that required a more frequent change. And none of those vehicles used a sump larger than 6 quarts, I imagine the logic would have shown even longer changes with a 9 quart+ capacity. I haven't yet read anything about the ECU on the D's and whether it uses such input, but I'm curious. Still, I won't be changing it ANY sooner than AT LEAST a year and 10k, and I might play with 15-20k, we'll see.

Old 06-01-2021, 11:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Kev M
I know it's a stupid oil thread and you are being largely tongue in cheek. But I can testify from experience that this sort of blanket statement is patently false and harmful if only in the continued spreading of misinformation.

I have seen the insides of motors that lived with 15-18k oil changes for over 100k miles that looked pristine (some of which I know where thrashed mercilessly much of their lives).

I have seen oil sample test results from that same range that show the oil is good for continued use.

Yes, there are certainly conditions that reduce the numbers, and though I don't have any of the JLR data that led them to the 21k interval, but I feel confident between the huge sump and use of very high quality oils with significant additive packages that all but the most extreme uses should be fine for AT LEAST 10k miles, and most likely that full 20K+.

I don't think I've changed the oil on a personal 4-wheel vehicle in UNDER 8-10k miles in going on two decades, though many of those vehicles used ECU logic to monitor data such as engine temps, rpm, drive cycles etc. and would advise if data suggested more severe conditions that required a more frequent change. And none of those vehicles used a sump larger than 6 quarts, I imagine the logic would have shown even longer changes with a 9 quart+ capacity. I haven't yet read anything about the ECU on the D's and whether it uses such input, but I'm curious. Still, I won't be changing it ANY sooner than AT LEAST a year and 10k, and I might play with 15-20k, we'll see.
I suspect you may be entirely correct --- If the new 21K oil with the new JLR oil is in reality available (I ordered it and the label noted only the old specification).

And yes, there is justification to say Pluto is NOT a planet. But, it is to me and will remain in my head as such (with the added silent thought that such a thought may be outdated, not factual and clearly not fashionable). Does someone holding that thought as such risk spreading disinformation? Maybe. It also helps test the validity of what would like to become a "fact".

I am very urious also about the ECU logic you note. Learning new approaches and ideas never gets old !!

Enjoy !

The following 2 users liked this post by TrioLRowner:
GFranklin (06-10-2021), Kev M (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 11:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 308 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
I suspect you may be entirely correct --- If the new 21K oil with the new JLR oil is in reality available (I ordered it and the label noted only the old specification).

And yes, there is justification to say Pluto is NOT a planet. But, it is to me and will remain in my head as such (with the added silent thought that such a thought may be outdated, not factual and clearly not fashionable). Does someone holding that thought as such risk spreading disinformation? Maybe. It also helps test the validity of what would like to become a "fact".

I am very urious also about the ECU logic you note. Learning new approaches and ideas never gets old !!

Enjoy !
Ha ha, I'm not taking up the pseudo-philosophical debate regarding Pluto as astro-physics or astronomy is very far from my wheelhouse. But a number of OEMs have been using data collected by the ECU to trigger an oil change monitor for some time now. BMW and Mini were among the first I came across it with, but it's become so "common" even FCA uses it on things as plebian as my Jeep.

But again, JLR honestly has the most to gain or lose from the perception of unreliability should motors go boom from lack of oil changes. And if air-cooled tractors like Harleys regularly run 5k mile intervals on dino juice, just imagine what a high quality synthetic can do in terms service life.

I do go as low as 5k on some of our air-cooled motorcycles including my Guzzis and our Ducati, all of which are running just a few quarts each and live a much harder life overall.

But full disclosure I went to full 10k intervals on M1 fluids in everything automotive back in the late 90s, maybe slightly ahead of the curve at the time, but it was data driven.

Last edited by Kev M; 06-01-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Hey, nothing wrong with being an early-adopter, trend-setting, leader on those things which strike your passion !!

More power to you .... enjoy !!

Old 06-01-2021, 11:48 PM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

I recently did an oil change on my wives XF (first one) and I used Castrol oil. Surprised that it advertised " 20,000 Miles Between Oil Changes – Guaranteed",
https://www.castrol.com/en_us/united...rformance.html.
I believe I've been thinking of the old times when oil was changed after 500 miles.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...old-motor-oil/

Quick Reply: 2021 Defender P400