2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 Defender towing, hitch, sway, pin to ball length.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 06:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcdooogs
Has anyone found a ball mount that is within the recommended length specification? The closest I've found online is ~8.25 inches
This is 7.5"
https://www.curtmfg.com/towing-acces...ch?length=2761

Old 11-22-2022, 09:41 PM
8th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Huc
I've been very happy with the RedArc Tow Pro Elite
Do you have the dash mounted remote head to adjust braking power? If so, does it have to be mounted level like the one Tekonsha makes? Defender's don't have many flat spots on the dash, kind of makes level mounting a challenging proposition.

Old 11-23-2022, 07:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 239 Likes on 118 Posts

The RedArc Tow Pro Elite can be mounted in any orientation. It has to be secure so that it does not move independently of the truck. However, that model really isn't designed to be on dash mounted since the control is separate from the head unit.

Last edited by POPTOPP; 11-23-2022 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:45 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by POPTOPP
The RedArc Tow Pro Elite can be mounted in any orientation. It has to be secure so that it does not move independently of the truck. However, that model really isn't designed to be on dash mounted since the control is separate from the head unit.
Right, I understand the securing of the head unit, I'm asking about the control ****. Tekonsha makes a similar designed unit with a control ****, and they require the **** to be mounted in a level (parallel to the ground) orientation, and my question is, does the RedArc control **** require the same mounting pattern? Or can it be mounted on a angle, or even in a vertical position if desired? I looked over the install guide on RedArc's site but didn't see any info to indicate either yes/no.

Old 11-23-2022, 08:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 239 Likes on 118 Posts

The RedArc control **** can be mounted in any orientation. Most mount the head unit behind the flaring under the steering wheel near the connector and mount the control **** in the knock-out above the instrument cluster dimmer switch. Search the forum for pictures of an install. There's also a youtube video of an install.

The following users liked this post:
Huc (11-28-2022)
Old 11-23-2022, 09:06 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by POPTOPP
The RedArc control **** can be mounted in any orientation. Most mount the head unit behind the flaring under the steering wheel near the connector and mount the control **** in the knock-out above the instrument cluster dimmer switch. Search the forum for pictures of an install. There's also a youtube video of an install.
Perfect, thank you! That is exactly what I was looking to clarify.

Huc (11-28-2022)
Old 11-23-2022, 09:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 246 Likes on 131 Posts

there was a knockout under the e-brake and dash light adjuster **** that I used. You need a little padding to make it 'stick' but it fit just fine there. Just installed this a few weeks ago. Now to find a trailer.

Huc (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 08:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcdooogs
Has anyone found a ball mount that is within the recommended length specification? The closest I've found online is ~8.25 inches
Mcdooogs:

No report yet in North America that I recall that anyone has found an exact length hitch, per the owner's manual. Folks have come as close as they can.

Early in 2020, it was rumored that when buying a factory hitch in N.A., JLR would provide the correctly sized version. In fact, some of us, including me, saw on the sales person's desk a kit all nicely boxed in black foam and plastic.

But, unfortunately, the consummation of the stated commitment to enable folks in N.A. to meet the specification never happened.

Enjoy !

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 11-28-2022 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-28-2022, 10:19 AM
Huc
Mudding
Received 183 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ_Broker
Do you have the dash mounted remote head to adjust braking power? If so, does it have to be mounted level like the one Tekonsha makes? Defender's don't have many flat spots on the dash, kind of makes level mounting a challenging proposition.
I have no knowledge of the Tekonsha controllers. However, I can directly answer your requisitions relative to the RedArc:

Yes there is a dash mounted control **** / remote head to control braking power and switch between the two available braking modes. Example: the control head is my instance is mounted on the angled panel directly below the emergency brake control lever in the Defender,

No the dash mounted control **** doesn't care if it's mounted level or not. It's connected via an ethernet cable to the brains of the system: the control unit. The main braking control unit also does not need to be mounted level - although it must be firmly mounted to a fixed surface. It self calibrates x,y,z orientation based when first driving and completing the calibration process - after that it's a done deal.

Hope that helps - sorry for the late reply - Thanksgiving travel and all here in the U.S.

Old 11-28-2022, 12:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RH5555
The Curt works fine. I used it with their "comfort ball" for a cross country trip with a 24" car hauler.

The backup target is off by just a bit, but you can use it easily for backing.

Quick Reply: 2021 Defender towing, hitch, sway, pin to ball length.