Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 Base Model quick overview after 10 days

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 07:50 AM
4wd Low
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2022 Base Model quick overview after 10 days

Great Forum and wish I would have discovered it prior to my lovely wife's burning desire for the Defender back in January! That said, she loves her new ride; I think it is pretty cool too. Took delivery in the Southwest Florida rain on June 16th just two days early from original estimate updated in April after early March order. Like many, that 2021 order became a 2022 two weeks in. Not having a build configurator online for the 2022 and trying to buy the lowest priced but enjoyable Defender, we missed several items that were not clearly defined for us during the configuration process that many of you have explained.

"Eight way Semi-Automatic seats" is a fairy tale. We did not realize that the only power adjustment was the recline.....that is the ONLY no power adjustment on our cheap Buick Encore business vehicle. When we added the Interactive dash, "advanced off road pack" (which added the $1600 air suspension) Clear site rear view mirror, Premium headlights, and hitch receiver, for less than $1800 more had we chosen the "S" version, we would have gotten the upgraded interior with full auto seats, leather trim, rear arm rest, (interactive display included along with premium headlights) reverse shift mirror tilt and a few other "must haves". The good news is, with this being our first LR, we decided to lease it for two years which based on the unreal residual values right now, made the payment nearly half of comparably priced SUV's.

On the third day of ownership and the first interstate highway ride, the check engine light came on. Back to the dealer the next day for a quick fix while I waited. Two days later I noticed the full size gas gauge (in the Two dial configuration) was not working.. showing full with half a tank. Then on the 5th day, I realized that the Start Stop function was not working under any driving conditions.

Back to the dealer two days ago for an overnight fix (Gave me a nice Maserati as a loaner) and picked it up yesterday "after a software update". Tech drove the vehicle 25 miles (they did not tell me that he drove that far but I had the trip counter on automatic and it was back to normal count and had 25 miles on it) Service rep said "The start stop is fixed and worked every time the temperature in the cabin was over 72 degrees"., Not sure what that temperature slot thing really meant, but on the way home and the rest of the day, the start stop never worked. The line through the circle A was always illuminated at a full stop no matter what the AC was set at or was on or off. I have read and re-read all of the limit conditions to the start stop mode and what they told me seemed ridiculous as the Maserati loaner they gave me start / stopped at every red light no matter what the AC was set at.

We are planning a 3000 mile road trip in one week so not sure what to do next week about this ongoing issue. Yes, the gas gauge is now working.

Any suggestions are welcome. I will update again next week.

Old 06-26-2021, 08:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by insight3fl
Great Forum and wish I would have discovered it prior to my lovely wife's burning desire for the Defender back in January! That said, she loves her new ride; I think it is pretty cool too. Took delivery in the Southwest Florida rain on June 16th just two days early from original estimate updated in April after early March order. Like many, that 2021 order became a 2022 two weeks in. Not having a build configurator online for the 2022 and trying to buy the lowest priced but enjoyable Defender, we missed several items that were not clearly defined for us during the configuration process that many of you have explained.

"Eight way Semi-Automatic seats" is a fairy tale. We did not realize that the only power adjustment was the recline.....that is the ONLY no power adjustment on our cheap Buick Encore business vehicle. When we added the Interactive dash, "advanced off road pack" (which added the $1600 air suspension) Clear site rear view mirror, Premium headlights, and hitch receiver, for less than $1800 more had we chosen the "S" version, we would have gotten the upgraded interior with full auto seats, leather trim, rear arm rest, (interactive display included along with premium headlights) reverse shift mirror tilt and a few other "must haves". The good news is, with this being our first LR, we decided to lease it for two years which based on the unreal residual values right now, made the payment nearly half of comparably priced SUV's.

On the third day of ownership and the first interstate highway ride, the check engine light came on. Back to the dealer the next day for a quick fix while I waited. Two days later I noticed the full size gas gauge (in the Two dial configuration) was not working.. showing full with half a tank. Then on the 5th day, I realized that the Start Stop function was not working under any driving conditions.

Back to the dealer two days ago for an overnight fix (Gave me a nice Maserati as a loaner) and picked it up yesterday "after a software update". Tech drove the vehicle 25 miles (they did not tell me that he drove that far but I had the trip counter on automatic and it was back to normal count and had 25 miles on it) Service rep said "The start stop is fixed and worked every time the temperature in the cabin was over 72 degrees"., Not sure what that temperature slot thing really meant, but on the way home and the rest of the day, the start stop never worked. The line through the circle A was always illuminated at a full stop no matter what the AC was set at or was on or off. I have read and re-read all of the limit conditions to the start stop mode and what they told me seemed ridiculous as the Maserati loaner they gave me start / stopped at every red light no matter what the AC was set at.

We are planning a 3000 mile road trip in one week so not sure what to do next week about this ongoing issue. Yes, the gas gauge is now working.

There's a little more to the start/stop triggers than they are explaining (or rather, "not" explaining).
https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/.../proc/G2735602

Old 06-26-2021, 06:07 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for the link. We have read most of the owner info and their explanation of when or when it will or will not shut off. But after taking a ride today, there is no doubt that 76 degrees on the AC setting is the magic number... at or over the 76 degree setting, it stopped at ever light. At 75 or less, it did not stop. I guess if you want better fuel economy, you have to agree to have your AC set at nothing lower than 76

The following users liked this post:
Chief65 (06-26-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 06:26 PM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Thanks for the link. We have read most of the owner info and their explanation of when or when it will or will not shut off. But after taking a ride today, there is no doubt that 76 degrees on the AC setting is the magic number... at or over the 76 degree setting, it stopped at ever light. At 75 or less, it did not stop. I guess if you want better fuel economy, you have to agree to have your AC set at nothing lower than 76
Great tip. I will make sure my AC is always set below 76.

The following 3 users liked this post by TheMoke:
Chief65 (06-26-2021), Iceman153 (06-27-2021), WMN (06-27-2021)
Old 06-27-2021, 06:41 AM
Mudding
Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMoke
Great tip. I will make sure my AC is always set below 76.
Agreed. Best LR feature ever.

Old 06-27-2021, 09:24 AM
Drifting
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

I’m afraid this is not right. I have my cabin temp set at or below 70 and have had stop start activate. Here’s the official list from the site listed above.The following conditions inhibit an auto stop:
  • The external temperature is less than approximately -4°C.
  • The external temperature is more than approximately 40°C.
  • The engine or other vehicle systems have not reached their optimum operating temperatures.
  • The driver's seat belt is unbuckled.
  • Demand from the climate control system requires the engine to be running, e.g., when in defrost mode.
  • The vehicle's battery charge is low.
  • The auto stop/start system is deactivated.
  • After reversing, the vehicle's speed has not exceeded 16 km/h (10 mph).

GrouseK9 (06-27-2021)
Old 06-27-2021, 11:03 AM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Congrats on the vehicle. Sorry to hear all those problems popped up so quickly. Sounds like you are in Naples (Im from there Originally). I was last seeing LR Naples charging over MSRP (which is not surprising as I found that occurring typically when I lived there and never bought a vehicle locally because of it). Curious if you paid MSRP or above?

MattEvan (06-27-2021)
Old 06-27-2021, 04:02 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by p010sp0rt8
I’m afraid this is not right. I have my cabin temp set at or below 70 and have had stop start activate. Here’s the official list from the site listed above.The following conditions inhibit an auto stop:
  • The external temperature is less than approximately -4°C.
  • The external temperature is more than approximately 40°C.
  • The engine or other vehicle systems have not reached their optimum operating temperatures.
  • The driver's seat belt is unbuckled.
  • Demand from the climate control system requires the engine to be running, e.g., when in defrost mode.
  • The vehicle's battery charge is low.
  • The auto stop/start system is deactivated.
  • After reversing, the vehicle's speed has not exceeded 16 km/h (10 mph).
Understood. That is what I expected,,,, only under those conditions but the reality is the 76 setting.. We are taking an extended road trip soon. The current observations are short trips around town including on the way to Church today and the 76 degree setting was the fact again today. We will re-evaluate on the road trip before taking it in again.

Thanks for your feedback.

Old 06-27-2021, 09:12 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SW Florida

IReally sorry to hear about everything..have a safe trip..!

Good luck