Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 Defender Wireless Signal Booster

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 10:03 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 2022 Defender Wireless Signal Booster

In all the literature about the 2022 defender there are mentions of a Wireless Signal Booster.

Ex:
"Each new Defender 90 and 110 is also getting an upgraded Pivi Pro infotainment system. The biggest change is the option of a larger 11.4-inch touchscreen, which offers 60 percent more screen space than before. Wireless charging, an integrated signal booster and WiFi signal are all now standard, so you can count on improved signal and call quality while driving, too"

Does anyone know how this works? Do you need to be wirelessly charging to take advantage of increased signal?

I often drive in areas with low wireless reception so this would be a very helpful feature.

EDIT (Found info in Manual):
PHONE SIGNAL BOOSTER:The wireless charger mat incorporates a phone signal booster. The phone signal booster is a cell phone signal enhancer, designed to compensate for reduced reception inside the vehicle's interior. This phone signal booster operates by selectively boosting signals into and out of the cell phone via an external antenna. The phone signal booster operates automatically when a cell phone is placed on the charging mat; there is no need to connect or set up the phone signal booster.
WARNINGE911 location information may not be provided or may be inaccurate for calls served when using this device.

NOTESThis signal booster is a consumer device. Before use, you must register this device with your wireless provider and have your providers consent. Please contact your retailer to obtain the device’s serial number. Once obtained, contact your wireless service provider to register the phone signal booster.

NOTESYou MUST cease operating this device immediately if requested by the FCC (USA) or ISED (Canada) or a licensed wireless service provider.

NOTESCanada only - Before use, you must meet all requirements set out in ISED CPC-2-1-05. See https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gs...g/sf08942.html for details. You must operate this device with approved antennas and cables as specified by the manufacturer. Antennas must not be installed within 8 in (20 cm) of any person.

NOTESThe phone signal booster cannot enhance cell phone reception in areas where there is no signal available.

Last edited by Ahparke; 06-03-2021 at 10:15 AM. Reason: updated info
The following 2 users liked this post by Ahparke:
AvoTow (06-03-2021), robsonj (01-11-2022)
Old 06-03-2021, 03:11 PM
Drifting
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

This is very cool as I was thinking of purchasing a weboost with the large antenna to attach to my roof rack.
When I get mine i'll test against my buddies Outback which has a weboost installed and report back.

Old 06-03-2021, 03:33 PM
Overlanding
Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Typically no, you do not have to be charging the phone (on the pad or plugged in) to avail of the wireless signal booster. The booster is basically a signal repeater to enhance the cellular signal within the car. The car's exterior antenna picks up the cellular signal, passes it on to the wireless signal booster, and the booster helps to maintain that signal steadily for your phone. I have it in a BMW and I can say that my iPhone's wireless calls are problem-free within the car. :-)

Here's additional information and description:
https://www.signalbooster.com/pages/...sters-work-how

Last edited by bobbyz95; 06-03-2021 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:14 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ex:
"Each new Defender 90 and 110 is also getting an upgraded Pivi Pro infotainment system. The biggest change is the option of a larger 11.4-inch touchscreen, which offers 60 percent more screen space than before. Wireless charging, an integrated signal booster and WiFi signal are all now standard, so you can count on improved signal and call quality while driving, too"

So wireless charging is standard in MY22 ? I thought it was part of comfort and convenience pack? If it is .... awesome!

The following users liked this post:
Ahparke (06-04-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 06:58 AM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have always wondered why car manufacturers did not build repeaters into their cars before. I am glad to hear Rover is finally offering that. I have always had one in my car for the past 15-years and find it hard to live without in Northern Michigan. I like portable ones since I can quickly through it in my bag or on the boat. This is similar to the one I have been using for the past five years and I think it is well worth the money.

https://www.waveform.com/products/we...drive-x-475021

They do only work when there is some signal. If the signal is non-existent, i.e. Death Valley, you still will not get any coverage. But, if you are on the fringe or where the signal is weak, they do make a big difference.

The following users liked this post:
Ahparke (06-04-2021)