2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 V8 Defender 110 - underwhelming exhaust?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 09:43 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2022 V8 Defender 110 - underwhelming exhaust?!

Hi All,

I'm from Sydney, Australia and just recently bought a V8 Defender. I was very underwhelmed by the exhaust note. It seems tamed and doesn't have much in the way of pops and burps. I used to own a Sport SVR, so I know how good this engine can sound.

Any ideas here?

I've heard it might have something to do with particulate filters? If so, is it something to easily fix ie removing it etc?

I don't want a new exhaust system. I'm just looking for a way to improve the factory one.

Thanks so much.

Old 02-24-2023, 10:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 155 Likes on 96 Posts

Obviously opinions in this area are subjective. I find the exhaust of the V8 damn near perfect for me. Quiet enough for business use in auto mode and loud enough to sound like a beast in dynamic mode. I am sure you have been putting yours in dynamic mode? Mine burbles and pops a lot in dynamic. Definitely seen it turn some heads. I have read where people have tried to modify the existing exhaust but seems drone comes into play.

Old 02-24-2023, 11:26 PM
4wd Low
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, feel that same way. Installed the Miltek non-resonated exhaust. Almost to loud... LOL so worth it.

Old 03-03-2023, 05:36 PM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

you can cutout the center resonator. great improvement in volume but still civilized. prob cost 200 bucks

Originally Posted by Nathank88
Hi All,

I'm from Sydney, Australia and just recently bought a V8 Defender. I was very underwhelmed by the exhaust note. It seems tamed and doesn't have much in the way of pops and burps. I used to own a Sport SVR, so I know how good this engine can sound.

Any ideas here?

I've heard it might have something to do with particulate filters? If so, is it something to easily fix ie removing it etc?

I don't want a new exhaust system. I'm just looking for a way to improve the factory one.

Thanks so much.

Old 03-03-2023, 05:52 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for that. Does cutting out the resonator have any impacts? Improvements on performance or fuel usage etc?

And is it something that is noticeable and risk voiding warranty with?

Also any idea where to get something like that done?

Old 03-03-2023, 07:36 PM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

you are cutting the resonator and replacing with straight pipes. any local muffler shop can do the job. it’s welded on and when your done you weld the resonator back.

it could free up some back pressure giving you some extra hp.

Originally Posted by Nathank88
Thanks for that. Does cutting out the resonator have any impacts? Improvements on performance or fuel usage etc?

And is it something that is noticeable and risk voiding warranty with?

Also any idea where to get something like that done?

Old 03-03-2023, 11:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,149 Likes on 619 Posts

All subjective but: Having owned 3 other 5.0 V8's (couple of RRS's), I think the exhaust is fine in the Deefer and in fact is quite perfect.

My initial drive in the car -- I was disappointed in the exhaust. Like you. BUT. The more I drove it, the more I liked it. t's not an SVR... (which I've owned and loved, but ... different vehicle).

It reminds me of an old D2/D1/RRC. It rumbles. It gets louder of course than those on the gas pedal, but it's a nice deep noise at idle. I like it alot.

Last edited by nashvegas; 03-03-2023 at 11:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Nuckle (03-03-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 08:56 AM
Mudding
Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I like mine too the way it is but obviously to each their own. I know I scared my wife when I tested them in the garage with Dynamic mode on so that tells me it’s good enough lol

Old 06-15-2023, 02:14 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Ehloo
you are cutting the resonator and replacing with straight pipes. any local muffler shop can do the job. it’s welded on and when your done you weld the resonator back.

it could free up some back pressure giving you some extra hp.
Hi Ehloo, I just got my defender 110 v8 delivered weeks ago and not really satisfied with the stock exhaust. Have been researching a while on aftermarket exhaust. I think you are the only US user I have seen. I am in Canada so I think mine doesn’t have opf as well.

How’s the resonated milltek? Is there a significant difference between the stock one? At the beginning I plan to go with the non-resonated one as I have seen a lot youtubers reviewing it. But i was worrying about the drone as I got my kid sitting at the back sometimes when we do long trips. Until I saw your post and realized about the Opf thing. thanks for letting me know. If the resonated one is enough for our non opf model I will go for it.

Old 12-16-2023, 07:23 AM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are not too many options to improve the sound unless you either do an oem exhaust mod or you change the whole system to the likes of quicksilver or milltek. It appears that there is a V2 milltek non res system which is an upgrade of their previous version fixing the drone effect. I have discarded the quicksilver system, not too keen on the app feature. I am in two minds, I think the non res system from milltek might be too much but I might still go with it and if I don’t like it I can get the resonated box fitted for around 200ish. I am based in the U.K. so with the particulate filters our systems here and quieter than those sold in the US. Hope it makes sense. I would also recommend fitting millteks valve controller along with their system to you can have full control over the behaviour of the valves at all times

Quick Reply: 2022 V8 Defender 110 - underwhelming exhaust?!