Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2023 and Activity Key

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2022, 09:52 AM
Overlanding
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2023 and Activity Key

Picked up my 2023 110X this week. During my 10 month wait I decided I might actually use the activity key. I didn’t want to slow my delivery so figured Id handle it after. I found a good deal on the watch unit and grabbed. The dealer is telling me it cant be made to work. Has anyone had their truck programmed after delivery for the activity key?

Old 10-14-2022, 12:10 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm interested in this as well. First question, do you have the correct market version for your car?
US Markets - 315MHz
UK/Europe Markets - 434MHz
APAC - ? (somebody in this region could confirm)

Old 10-14-2022, 12:28 PM
Overlanding

Yes Im in the US and have the 315mhz. Im going to call the service dept in another dealership to see what they say

Old 10-14-2022, 03:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 633 Likes on 380 Posts

I was told by my dealer the activity key is vehicle-specific from the factory and can't be programmed like a key fob. I did order it with my vehicle. Now that I have it, it's not that great. You need to remember to charge it before use. And it's not very intuitive and the screen only stays on for short bursts to preserve the battery.

BMW does it better with a simple key card that looks like a credit card. Swipe it near the door handle to unlock the door. Place it on the phone charger to start the car. Simple to use, easy to carry and no recharging required.

Old 10-14-2022, 04:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

I haven't verified this, but someone on the facebook group let their Activity key run out of power completely and it still will allows you to use the passive entry (door handle button) as well as start the vehicle.

I like mine so much that I only use it.
I don't carry keys anymore.
I upgraded the band to a nice leather one and just charge it twice a week, it will last 1.5weeks usually.

Ordered mine with the vehicle, so I can't answer OP question.
I "heard" that most cars usually take only 2 key fobs and to accept more keys or an activity key, some component needs to be changed or expanded.

Old 10-14-2022, 10:35 PM
Overlanding

Considering LR is only providing one fob anyways right now Id be glad to use the activity key as my 2nd. Looking at LR parts there are a number of compatible KVM modules but I haven’t figured out which would allow the 3rd controller of an activity key. This is a screenshot that Powerful UK posted from LR stating which KVM was needed for a non US Activity key. Not sure if this is the correct KVM for US 315mhz or if there is a different part #. Also not sure which KVM is coning in US spec vehicles
Haven’t found a service tech that was super helpful yet.

Last edited by Santini; 10-14-2022 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-15-2022, 03:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 235 Likes on 97 Posts

I purchased an Activity Key after the fact from a user on the FB groups, in new condition. I did not order it with my Defender. It had been ordered with the sellers D90, but he didn't want it, and I'm sure it would have been initially programmed to his Defender. I made sure it was the North American frequency version and during my new '22 D110's PDI and initial setup at the dealer, they were able to get it paired and works perfectly. No extra hardware needed to be installed. They didn't even charge me and only took them 20 minutes. My salesman kind of just took care of it for me (we had a good working relationship... heck he even helped me install the roof-rack so I didn't have to pay them to do it!)

I'm a runner and for years have put my LR4 smart key in a ziplock and hide it under a rock... always worried someone might see me and come grab it. So I've really enjoyed my Activity Key. I hide my smart key in the vehicle, strap the AK to my wrist, lock the vehicle and head out with no worries! I wear my Garmin on one wrist and the AK on the other. Its light and not even noticeable. Worried about its durability, I cut a clear piece of screen protector vinyl over the screen and changed the band for an elastic/velcro sports band and its GREAT! Sure its ugly, but it serves its purpose.

I use it about 4-5 times a week and charge it about once month.

Old 10-15-2022, 04:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

What’s his face and George were able to program an “after the fact” key to their defender even though it wasn’t ordered with their initial vehicle. Their first one was the incorrect MHz.

Old 10-15-2022, 06:36 PM
Overlanding

I saw that. Looking through part numbers it looks like the kvm module in the 2023’s is different. I based my decision to buy the activity key on that video and other’s experience on this forum. It looks like LR may have deleted the ability to link 3 keys to a vehicle now. I just didn’t know if any 2023 owners had success. If it entails changing out the kvm module I need to figure out which one, if it’s compatible w 2023 amd then figure a cost to swap and reprogram. Im guessing it will make not worthwhile but Im continuing on the quest!

The following users liked this post:
Royalist (10-15-2022)
Old 10-15-2022, 10:40 PM
Received 176 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Royalist
What’s his face and George
That's St. Simon, show a little respect.

The following 2 users liked this post by EasternShoreDefender:
Royalist (10-15-2022), WTFChuck (10-17-2022)

Quick Reply: 2023 and Activity Key