Sponsored by:

2023 Defender 110 Sliders

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 09:42 PM
4wd Low
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2023 Defender 110 Sliders

Hi all,

I've searched around here and done some homework but I'm still feeling a little underinformed on options for sliders for the 110 - at least ones I can order off a store without PM'ing someone. I see a lot of Lucky 8 installs but am looking at options as well. Here's what I have so far with some basic pros and cons I've run across (mostly comments from other users, nothing scientific here).

Voyager Racks / New Defender Mods
https://newdefendermods.com/collecti...r-rock-sliders

Okay quality. Welds not looking great.
Steel. Unsure if Stainless. Possible Aluminum body corrosion issues if power coating wears.
Weight is a +/- with these. They're heavy at 100lbs+ a side.
Treat plate inserts look good and functional
Hand written instructions, no pictures, with a good amount of encouragement that it's possible to put removed truck panels back with some cutting. I like the encouragement, but a solid set of instructions go a long way.
Cutting may be required for OEM mud flaps.

Tuff Ant
https://www.tuffant.com/product-page...nt-rocksliders

Personally like the design better. Feels cleaner with the new body style. I have not seen nor heard much about these as they're pretty new.
Their approach is a single plate design where they leave the bolts exposed on the underside of the slider. While I trust a company that builds this stuff for a living has a ton more experience than me, in this case, seems risky. Metal bends and breaks in weird ways when physics are applied.

Tom from Tuff Ant sent me the following:

The bolts used for the TuffAnt RockSliders have been chosen as the best solution, proven over time as used in LR4 products without issue, whilst keeping weight down and allowing a single plate design. As shown in the photo we use a Stainless Steel Countersunk Hex Head bolt that is seated and protected in a chamfered conical washer around the head of the bolt. This combination has been chosen so that if there is any contact with the washer, it will simply slide across and it will not impact the head of the bolt, therefore protecting the bolt if it needs to be removed later. Behind each bolt is a high Strength HPDE block that allows some movement and flex between the car body and the slider without metal-to-metal contact, as well as keeping weight to a minimum. The RockSliders are made from a single-piece steel, with reinforced jacking points, powder coated with a black satin finish.

All additional bolts, washers, e-clips, and HDPE spacers are provided with the TuffAnt RockSliders, along with comprehensive instructions that guide you through each step of the fitment process. Hope this helps answer your questions.

Seems like a solid answer - but physics - I'm not sure. Any LR4 owners have some comments on their experience dragging a couple thousand pounds on these?
Instructions also seem illusive but with the single plate design It sounds like it's easier to keep all undercarriage panels in place - maybe still some cutting.
Sounds like OEM mud flaps work fine without cutting.

Lucky 8
https://lucky8llc.com/collections/de...w-defender-110

Bars stick out farther than Voyager which is a +/- depending on your needs.
Steel. Unsure if Stainless. Possible Aluminum body corrosion issues if power coating wears.
Heavy at 100lbs+ per side. Weight is a +/- with these.
They have a tread plate accessory, but it doesn't look well thought out or aesthetically pleasing.
Great instructions, though they make no effort to replace some of the panels that are removed. I would like to put these back in place even if I have to do some cutting.
Cutting may be required for OEM mud flaps.

I saw a couple other companies out there - One from Germany but I can't tell if they're selling or not. Just saw another one earlier that looked like Tuff Ant - Maybe a reseller?

So with the basics out of the way - are there any first hand experiences or recommendations out there from dealers, 3rd party installers or individuals who have installed more than one pair? Has anyone successfully replaced all the undercarriage panels after installing any of these?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (11-29-2022)
Old 11-26-2022, 12:51 AM
Mudding
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

The Tuffant ones look great to me. Are they shipping to the USA?

Otherwise, there are many posts on the other options. Many of your concerns will take awhile to show up, so I’m not sure if many will be able to offer more info just yet.

jusmax88 (11-26-2022)
Old 11-26-2022, 06:38 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

That tuff-ant does look nice. I’m hoping the US-AUS exchange rate is favorable. I wish there was a link on the listing with the installation pdf. I used to love how Quadratec, the big Jeep accessory catalog, linked the installation instructions for just about everything they sold that would require instructions.

GrouseK9 (11-29-2022)
Old 11-27-2022, 12:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

The Tuffants look nice but I don’t buy the logic with the bolts sticking out underneath. I can just hear one of those bolts getting scraped and hung up on a rock. Depending on where you plan to drive, the lucky8’s stick out further for good reason. Saved one of my doors from damage when I slid into a tree. If you’re going to go to the trouble of putting sliders on, I’d want them to offer max protection. Looks are secondary for me, but I don’t mind the lucky8 looks in any case and new top plates are coming. Wider stance also makes them more usable as steps.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tartan:
GrouseK9 (11-29-2022), TrioLRowner (11-28-2022)
Old 11-27-2022, 08:51 PM
4wd Low

The Tuff-Ant's are shipping to the US - and last I was told, in stock. 1:1.5: USD to AUD at the moment - that's pretty good (depending your home address of course).

Except for Lucky 8, instructions are a bit missing. I do like the idea of having a step for roof top tent, gear reach, etc.

Any experience out there with the door seal after replacing that part for the Lucky 8's? Tuff-Ants don't require removing the OEM strip.

Appreciate the thoughts so far -

Dan

Old 11-27-2022, 09:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Lucky 8 didn’t affect the door seals at all.

Old 11-28-2022, 11:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 216 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Yeeeeeeha
The Tuff-Ant's are shipping to the US - and last I was told, in stock. 1:1.5: USD to AUD at the moment - that's pretty good (depending your home address of course).

Except for Lucky 8, instructions are a bit missing. I do like the idea of having a step for roof top tent, gear reach, etc.

Any experience out there with the door seal after replacing that part for the Lucky 8's? Tuff-Ants don't require removing the OEM strip.

Appreciate the thoughts so far -

Dan
Are you getting this info from TuffAnt Aus or from the US distributor? I'm hearing conflicting messages. Just a few weeks ago, I was told by the US distributor that the sliders would not be imported until market demand could be determined.

Old 11-28-2022, 02:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Yeeeeeeha:

The Lucky 8 sliders are a well-known, proven option. They are heavy and they are plenty tough. The build quality is good.

I think Sarek is doing some very exciting and interesting things in the area of combining pretty looks and light weight with effectiveness.

I agree with Tartan that the logic of sticking out the heads beneath the slider is not wise. None of the other available options have chosen to do so.

More times than I can count I have relied on my Lucky8 sliders to do the job and they have. As an aside, they make my winch-laden Defender drive better by off-setting the winch weight up front.

Enjoy !

The following 4 users liked this post by TrioLRowner:
DefenderSISU (04-12-2023), ficklma1 (11-28-2022), jusmax88 (11-29-2022), mdgs (11-29-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 03:02 PM
4wd Low

Tuff Ant shipping to US. As of Nov 18th this was the message I received from Natassia, Co-Founder.

✅ yes, we provide a comprehensive set of instructions automatically upon purchase. It is absolutely possible to do a solo self-install (3-4 hours).
✅ yes, we can ship from Australia to US. We have already shipped a number of RockSliders internationally in the past week.
✅ they’re in stock now, so the only wait time is shipping.

We will be able to provide estimated shipping times next week. In the meantime, to aide us in providing a quote for shipping, could you please provide a shipping address?

Natassia Pomroy
TuffAnt Co-Founder

The following 4 users liked this post by Yeeeeeeha:
GavinC (12-03-2022), NoGaBiker (11-29-2022), Redtruck (09-11-2023), The Fulcrum (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 07:17 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting, as this is not what I have been told by Tuffant. They did say that they are working on it though. I would certainly like to get my hands on these given the current exchange rates. Any indicator of shipping costs?

I am also trying to find out what Sarek is selling his Aluminum sliders for.

MattF (11-29-2022)

Quick Reply: 2023 Defender 110 Sliders