Sponsored by:

2023 Defender Order Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2022 | 06:15 AM
|
Overlanding
Default 2023 Defender Order Questions

Hey Team,

So the dealership told me this weekend that they'll have my allocation during the first week of May. I've re-speced out my 2023 Defender since there has been a few changes in the configurator. My build is as follows, please let me know what you think:

https://build.landrover/ACBC3CF1

Unfortunately, it looks like I won't be able to get the clear sight rear view camera due to supply chain issues. My question is whether it's worth it to spec Terrain Response 2. I won't be off-roading the car and I live in Nashville where we lots of heavy rain and some ice and snow during the winter. If I don't spec TR2, I assume I can just turn the program selector to snow/gravel during bad winter conditions and leave it on normal mode for everything else? Is the only real benefit of TR2 for someone who does not off-road their vehicle that they can leave it on auto mode and the car will essentially switch to snow automatically when needed or does it make a lot of additional changes to various performance attributes of the car? I've read previous threads and it's not entirely clear.

Thanks so much!

Josh

Old 04-26-2022 | 06:43 AM
Pro Wrench

Check the box. Terrain Response 2 opens up the ability to select Auto. It does NOT integrate well with the dash (Simon at PowerfulUk has an entire video re: it), but the Auto feature is brilliant when off a highway. It will figure out what you need better than you will select the options. Plus, I figure it won't be bad on the resale.

Now cross your fingers that you actually get the specs you want! Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
JoshuaKM1 (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022 | 07:12 AM
|
Overlanding

Thanks! Yeah it looks like I'm getting all my specs except the clear sight camera, but we'll see once LR accepts the order next month.

Old 04-26-2022 | 07:17 AM
Pro Wrench

I'm not as hung up on losing ClearSight after I found a cheap (lesser cost & likely less quality) alternative - Link.

I will, however, take every opportunity to say how screwed I was at the MY change over when they dropped the options I selected and I lost my rear e-diff. Surprisingly, after seeing @sarek in action with his 90, I'm starting to admit I likely will never need it. But it's the principle of the thing!<g>

Old 04-26-2022 | 12:53 PM
Three Wheeling

Probably not getting that 11.4" screen either

The following users liked this post:
MattF (04-26-2022)
Old 04-28-2022 | 08:15 AM
|
Overlanding

Ok I checked the Terrari Response 2 box lol.

One other question - is adaptive cruise control a must-have?

Old 04-28-2022 | 08:41 AM
Pro Wrench

Well...like all the options, you will get as many opinions as you have purchasers. Here's mine, ymmv. I like the adaptive cruise control (acc) in limited uses. It's not as much as a "must have" for me, but I know many folks absolutely go bonkers for it. What it does is maintains a distance to the next vehicle when in cruise. I think of them as 1/2 seconds per bar of distance so depending on how fast is how far you are away from the car ahead of you. I LOVE it on two lane roads. Back country driving at its finest. I absolutely loathe it on the public highways around large cities or with dense traffic. No matter how much you just want to cruise, there's some maniac that is diving between lanes to go around cars, make late decisions, fill in the blank for why they want to dive in front of you. Often you will see them cruising up behind you and you know they are going to cut close in front of you and keep going. Only when they do that the acc suddenly slams on the brakes because they are within x bars of you and the Defender wants to maintain the distance. Then everyone behind you thinks you are a dangerous moron at best. I have heard that the latest update has made it "better", but personally - I'd rather keep it in "normal" cruise. And yes, there's an option to switch into it. The only thing is: if you do a lot of urban driving, is it worth keeping it off all the time or not? Where I live, I wouldn't pay much more for it or I would seriously consider having it "added" after purchase from one of the gray market folks who are tuning the options.

I once heard a comedian say: there's only two kinds of drivers on the road - morons and maniacs. Morons are all the people slower than me, Maniacs are all the people going faster than me. Hilarious because I think everyone has that mistaken impression.

Last edited by GrouseK9; 04-28-2022 at 08:43 AM.