Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2023 LCD instrument cluster upgrade/retrofit question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2022, 05:56 PM
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2023 LCD instrument cluster upgrade/retrofit question

I'm receiving my MY23 defender is a couple of months, unfortunately I just learned all MY23 cars won't come with the full digital instrument cluster, instead it will be the ugly needles. This alone is such a deal breaker as I've been so used to full digital cluster now.
I've read somewhere on this forum that the full digital instrument cluster is the same parts used on other Jaguar/LR cars such as the discovery and f-pace. One post even points to a few ebay listings of discovery LCD panels.

Is this true? is it just a simple swap of parts?

Any input greatly appreciated

The following users liked this post:
_Allegedly (05-27-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 03:20 AM
Drifting
Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

What I can say is that all versions EXCEPT the X won’t receive the digital dash. So that’s one of the reasons I ordered a X ( same goes for large display end iSight)

Old 05-27-2022, 09:33 AM
Banned
Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by tt6368
I'm receiving my MY23 defender is a couple of months, unfortunately I just learned all MY23 cars won't come with the full digital instrument cluster, instead it will be the ugly needles. This alone is such a deal breaker as I've been so used to full digital cluster now.
I've read somewhere on this forum that the full digital instrument cluster is the same parts used on other Jaguar/LR cars such as the discovery and f-pace. One post even points to a few ebay listings of discovery LCD panels.

Is this true? is it just a simple swap of parts?

Any input greatly appreciated
Believe me when I say I was just as bummed as you are that I couldn't get the full digital display on my 90S. It was a deal breaker for me as well but I needed to replace our ageing BMW. We've had the Defender now for almost a month and have put 900 miles on it and I have to say I have grown to like the display. It is rather unobtrusive and you still get 95% of the utility of the digital display. I also like the "analog backup" the needles give you in the event of a full digital blackout event. Maybe that's the pilot in me liking steam gauge backups to all this digital wizardry. I don't know your build specs but I have a relatively basic build in Pangea Green and the needles also lend a certain retro look as well. I also noticed someone else had posted something similar saying the needles aren't as bad as they look in pictures and he liked them. I was all set to find a way to swap out for the full digital too, but in less than a month's ownership, I don't even think about it anymore. I suggest giving them a chance for a month or two first. You can always change them down the road if you really hate the needles. Just one person's perspective after thinking I HAD to replace those needles on day one of ownership.

GrouseK9 (05-27-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 11:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 461 Likes on 232 Posts

I recently read an article about retrofitting digital instrument clusters on the Ford Maverick. It seems the Escape has the identical cluster and there seems to be plenty in junk yards for removal. So the guy did a swap. It works, except for several things where off. These where items like the fuel tank indications and several of the minor items like temp and oil pressure. The clusters have their own programming to adapt to the sensors attached to that specific vehicle. So unless you are adapt at flashing the unit's internal firmware, you may have a digital cluster working from let's say a Discovery, but it will not indicate many items correctly. Yes it kind of sucks to not get this tech in your vehicle. I do find mine pleasing. Would it have been a deal breaker, well yes. Provided the price remained the same for a less tricked out trim level. If it was discounted, then perhaps not. I like the tech, but my wife not so much so. She just wants a simple car, with ***** and fewer chimes and beeps and warnings, camera and so on. I will have to spend some time looking to see if I can make the virtual symphony of beeps and chimes not overwhelm me when I start the car. Really, who are the nerds that like all that annoying sounds. I would love to have seen that focus group of twits, "yes more beeps and chimes, all cars need more beeps and chimes!"

GrouseK9 (05-27-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 03:02 PM
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UtahLandy
Believe me when I say I was just as bummed as you are that I couldn't get the full digital display on my 90S. It was a deal breaker for me as well but I needed to replace our ageing BMW. We've had the Defender now for almost a month and have put 900 miles on it and I have to say I have grown to like the display. It is rather unobtrusive and you still get 95% of the utility of the digital display. I also like the "analog backup" the needles give you in the event of a full digital blackout event. Maybe that's the pilot in me liking steam gauge backups to all this digital wizardry. I don't know your build specs but I have a relatively basic build in Pangea Green and the needles also lend a certain retro look as well. I also noticed someone else had posted something similar saying the needles aren't as bad as they look in pictures and he liked them. I was all set to find a way to swap out for the full digital too, but in less than a month's ownership, I don't even think about it anymore. I suggest giving them a chance for a month or two first. You can always change them down the road if you really hate the needles. Just one person's perspective after thinking I HAD to replace those needles on day one of ownership.
It's not about function, it's a pure aesthetic thing for me. My 8 year old BMW has an all digital screen. The 2012 range rover had an all digital screen. It is the one piece of glass you stare at 90% of the time in the interior. It's butt ugly and doesn't belong on a 80k car (well im in **** controlled BC canada so 100k in my case).

anyway seems i'm **** out of luck. I think LR is using the shortage as an excuse for more profit. I called the dealer and they can order an OEM screen for about $2k.

Mechano2020 (05-29-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 06:01 PM
Winching
Received 592 Likes on 306 Posts

^^^^ Completely agree that this looks like JLR is exploiting the situation. ^^^^^
And I believe because it appears that JLR is the only company not making the customer whole in some way - like discounting the cost equal to the OE eliminated.

This is my first LR and I'm already soured on the company. I hope JLR prove me wrong.

Matt

Old 05-28-2022, 12:35 PM
BD1
Three Wheeling
Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

What is the difference in functionality with full digital vs analog/digital? Any links to pics/videos comparing the two versions? I am planning to buy new defender and just starting to research.

Old 05-28-2022, 01:12 PM
BD1
Three Wheeling
Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Answered my question. If others are wondering:

Full digital:

I would just use 2 dial version so not a big deal to me if I get analog on my new order.