Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2023 MSRP Increase

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 07:22 PM
Mudding
Received 108 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by The Insider
The US product team has been adding (or maintaining) content in the Defender with each price increase when allowed the choice. In fact, they've been pushing to standardize the towing package along with a number of other smaller features that are less supply constrained.

We don't make changes unless forced or when competitors make a move first. The smaller player in the mainstream market cannot dictate pricing-we go with the flow or parts supply.

For the record, when Defender was launched in 2020 the original starting target price for the P300 was going to be $59,995. The US product team fought to get the price down to $49,900 which was borderline unprofitable. However, we tried to look out for the enthusiasts and regular folks.
We’ve seen the recent year JLR financial reports, and it’s crystal clear profit is not a consideration.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:30 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Oh, please spare me the Google search. What did you read? Record profits? How much increase YOY or what were you spotting? How much of that break down was vehicle sales vs. parts sales. A number of vehicle manufacturers are killing it on the parts side so much that it is massively overcoming their huge decrease in vehicle sales. Enjoy it now, is what I'm thinking. Wait a year or two for your product to dry up and they have a massive hangover when the subsequent parts sales volume corresponds. I'll laugh my butt off at all the scalpers when they truly start to suffer....(ok, I'll quit getting bitter and go back to my usual happy place).

Old 05-05-2022, 08:37 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,402 Likes on 689 Posts

Sales Revenues down from 24B pounds in 2018 to 19B in 2021. No idea about GP.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 08:52 AM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default V8

Originally Posted by CJB
Anyone else notice that in the US the base MSRP increased $1900??
The 110 V8 build went up by $4K. I have my dealer build sheet and today's online build to compare. I hope this is worth the wait.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:07 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Ok, so I had to skim thru the annual report. Unfortunately, it's a fiscal YE so I can't find the 21-22 year ended March yet. I'm sure it will come out soon. Not sure about non-US financial reporting requirements.

Here's the annual report: Link. It's now about a year dated.

Here's the relevant part:

It's an absolute lawn dart of vehicle unit sales and sales revenue. However, the profit has gone nuts. Two things. First off, this is before exceptional items which interestingly sends the profit to zero as they write off a bunch of stuff. That's "Financial Management" that they teach you in business school, not "Financial Manipulation" that winds you up in prison. Not advocating, just not indicting. Second off, there is NO breakdown as to where that is coming from. The accounting / marketing wonks talk about more efficient operations, but without a breakdown of where that's coming from - it's all "nice and fluffy" statements. There is NO breakdown of parts vs. vehicle sales revenue or GP, but if industry norms are held - I would believe it to be driven largely by increased parts sales (volume & pricing) and vehicle pricing that partially offsets the volume drop. As a huge fan of the brand, I'm very concerned that the consistent/continued drop in vehicle volume propped up by reliance on parts sales that is chasing the volume drop is a spiraling existential problem. Hate to say it, but it's empirical that the switch to making Land Rovers (Defenders specifically) a very pricy vehicle may not pan out well in the end. The more I think about it, the more I'm motivated to get a "parts car" from CoPart!

Old 05-05-2022, 10:12 AM
Winching
Received 592 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by The Insider
The US product team has been adding (or maintaining) content in the Defender with each price increase when allowed the choice. In fact, they've been pushing to standardize the towing package along with a number of other smaller features that are less supply constrained.

We don't make changes unless forced or when competitors make a move first. The smaller player in the mainstream market cannot dictate pricing-we go with the flow or parts supply.

For the record, when Defender was launched in 2020 the original starting target price for the P300 was going to be $59,995. The US product team fought to get the price down to $49,900 which was borderline unprofitable. However, we tried to look out for the enthusiasts and regular folks.
@insider Thanks for always engaging. Question still remains: What happens to the orders currently being built? Will JRL expect the customer to pay the new MSRP or will JLR commit to the original agreement when the customer (me) order the truck?

Thanks much
Matt

Old 07-02-2022, 09:22 PM
Overlanding
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Anyone dealing with new MSRP upon taking delivery?

I’ll ask the questions again: What happens to the orders currently being built? Will JRL expect the customer to pay the new MSRP or will JLR commit to the original agreement when the customer (me) order the truck?

I’ve read JLR sent a letter to dealers explaining the price increase and the effective date of March 31, 2022. Apparently the letter went on to tell the dealers that it would honor the price for orders prior to March 31, 2022.

I Purchased a dealers stock order for an X – dynamic 110 V6 on March 25, 2022 that was already in the system. I was freely able to change the options but not the model, doors or engine on the order. I made additional changes in early April and the dealer printed off the pre-price increase prices at that time. Further they they did not mention any coming price increases at that time.

Nnw my vehicle is sitting on the dock waiting to be loaded on a vessel. Since I have read in the forum a number of options may not be coming on the vehicle, I called the dealer to confirm my order was built as specified. Fortunately it appears that I got everything I ordered however when I was checking the build sheet I saw the new pricing in effect. I texted my sales associate of couple hours ago asking if they would honor the original pricing. His response was that he would check. No reply yet.

i’m curious if anybody else is in a similar situation and what their experience has been. Always nice to have some ammunition in advance. Thanks!

​​​​​​​

Old 07-03-2022, 01:19 PM
Overlanding

Anyone dealing with MSRP increase on their order? I was reviewing my build sheet and see that the price has increased vs. the price at order. I’ve contacted my Sales Associate to confirm the ordered price will be honored. He is “checking on it”.

Old 07-03-2022, 06:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 246 Likes on 131 Posts

My 2023 Order for a MY2023.5 Defender 110 SE 400PS the US List price on my order sheet from mid May was $69,300.

I optioned the heck out of it though, so final price was more.

Old 07-03-2022, 06:25 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Trekkie
My 2023 Order for a MY2023.5 Defender 110 SE 400PS the US List price on my order sheet from mid May was $69,300.

I optioned the heck out of it though, so final price was more.
I guess I wasn’t very clear on my question….

‘’I acquired an existing order for a MY23 X-Dynamic in March and the base price was $69,900. JLR increased all their prices in the interim to the now current X-Dynamic price of$ 72,200, Delivery also increased $75. And there were plenty of options as well, but there was no price increase on options. So the build (as built) sheet reflects $2425 over the price quoted at the time I acquired the order.

So now I have discrepancy (and I’m assuming others have or will be seeing this soon too) that is higher than agreed and I’m wondering how this is sorting out for them while I wait for delivery and a response from my dealer

so has anyone else encountered this yet and how has it worked out with your dealer

Quick Reply: 2023 MSRP Increase