Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

22” wheels or?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 08:03 AM
Drifting
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 22” wheels or?

Morning! I am new to the Forum and my 2022 Defender arrives in 4 to 5 weeks. With the nationwide inventory shortage, I choose an XDynamic HSE. Everything from head’s up display to the 11.4” screen, and air suspension—Carpathian Gray. Nearly all Defenders hitting our market are pre-sold before the hit the lot.

The only problem we are finding is that most of the SE’s and all of the HSEs are hitting our market with the 22” wheels. I don’t know why—I never would have custom ordered with these. The ultimate question is whether to just sell the 22’s with new tires and replace with 20”, install 285 (instead of 275s) on the 22” wheels or just maintain an extra set of wheels where I won’t care as much if the allows get scratched if we do any off-roading. I can see us off-roading—hmmm, maybe 2 or 3 times a year. Although, our house in the mountains has about 1/2 mile of gravel road. It takes 4 hours to the mountains for us—all highways, so road quality is important (and speed…)

I see lots of folks making similar decisions. Mixed views on the 22’s generally with ride quality as it is.

I hate to re-open the whole discussions above—but, ha, I am going to. We will tally the votes.

Thanks!

Old 10-25-2021, 11:08 AM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hear you, and same situation with the 22s. They look great, and I suppose that's the idea, so after a couple weeks of receiving my new vehicle the idea of replacing with smaller more all-weather for the winter seems a downgrade. I might play it by ear and see how the 22s perform; I'm not too worried as the machine is otherwise a beast and is driving so well. I only off road 2-3 a year too tops, so I'm not going to get too worried on that front.

Old 10-25-2021, 12:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,254 Likes on 746 Posts

@Sanctuary2325 - If off-roading involves gravel forest fire roads or farmland or occasional snow, then I wouldn't sweat it or go thru the effort. If you want a different style, then go for it. A friend once told me that you'll spend more for what you want than for what you need!

The problem with the 22's is that most folks who are seriously off-roading want to air them down to increase the surface area (aka traction) and soften the ride. They also want to go with a more aggressive tread, again for traction. The downside is that they are frequently louder and cause lower gas efficiency. If you will only go off-roading that often, I suspect that they aren't planned events. They are just when you want to push things. With almost all of your driving on pavement, you will be getting a louder tire & less fuel economy. Plus, you'll need to pay for the joy. You can offset some of that by selling the existing wheelsets, but you won't get close and you will have to go thru that PITA experience.

I'd recommend sticking with what you have, enjoying the ride, and driving around an awesome looking vehicle.

Old 10-25-2021, 01:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

This one is fundamental, so making the correct choice for yourself is possible, if you are willing to set a concrete limit to your driving approach.

The 22" wheels are not suitable for airing down your tires, or approaching tracks which present potentially damaging holes / logs / rocks etc. -- both to protect the wheels and the small sidewall.

This means you are self-limiting (for the time-frame you keep using the 22"s) to driving on roads which can be transited in high-range -- or so this might be how to best reliably contemplate the matter?

Off-road in high-range can still be great fun -- I really enjoyed my 2016 Evoque and miss it. But, if/when your interests evolve, you can size down the rims so you can air-down and drive off-road in low range -- as far as you can go!

Enjoy !

Old 10-25-2021, 03:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

22’s on the Defender look downright tacky. Like wagon wheels on a tank. It’s sad that JLR even sells Defenders with 22’s, but I guess they have to cater to the mall and bling crowd. Sorry, but I can’t imagine anything that looks so off key as an off road ready Defender on 22’s. Did I say I hate them and find them an embarrassment to the Defender brand? Guess I did. I would dump them no matter what kind of driving you plan to do.

Old 10-25-2021, 04:14 PM
Drifting
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Ha! I have a feeling will dump them. I really wanted the 20’s with the flat black finish and I think they will be a better hybrid option with the bigger sidewalls regardless. Maybe someone will want to trade up and I can ‘trade down.’ Heck, I might take a clean swap. If I put them on ebay, I will let you know. Pictures next month.