2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Activating ACC and other features via Pathfinder App

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 08:01 AM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default DIY activation of ACC and other features via JLR Pathfinder or TOPIx Cloud Diagnostic

UPDATE

For a cost of $216 USD, I was successful in using the JET-Pro software app ($199 for a 72-hour license - used to be $99 but it seems they recognized the value people were getting from the solution and hiked the price) and a $17 OBDII ethernet cable from Amazon to activate Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and other popular features on my 2021 D90 First Edition. See the following thread for details on how people have successfully used this combination:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90062.html

Powerful UK’s video demonstrating that they were able to activate Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) got me thinking about the “DOIP” aspect mentioned during the video. I suspect he’s referring to the more advanced technique of using JLR’s older Pathfinder app or their newer TOPIx Cloud Diagnostics and a DOIP (direct over internet protocol) interface to carry out programming on the Defender. This is presumably the same overall solution used by people who offer in-person activation services.

Since I’m not aware of in-person activation services in my region and would like to understand the cost and viability of a DIY solution, I’m keen on exploring a DIY solution.

I plan to update this post as I learn more and people share their experiences.

Gap IIDTool not quite there (yet)?

I’d go with a GAP IIDTool solution in a heartbeat if it enabled activation of ACC. I’m OK with paying ~$537 for not only DIY activation of ACC, but having DIY access to other already documented activations and vehicle diagnostics on a permanent basis.

JLR Pathfinder or TOPIx Cloud Diagnostics based solution only viable DIY option?

Short of the Gap IIDTool enabling ACC activation, it seems that the only viable DIY option is to use either the older JLR Pathfinder PC-based app or the newer JLR TOPIx Cloud Diagnostics. Both Pathfinder and TOPIx Cloud Diagnostics require a compatible DOIP VCI interface that plugs into the vehicle’s OBDII port under the dash and connects to a PC running either the Pathfinder app or an app that let’s the browser-based TOPIx Cloud Diagnostics connect to the VCI interface.

Options under consideration

I’m considering these overall options:
  1. Buy Gap IIDTool and wait for ACC: Buy the Gap IIDTool ($537 + shipping), use it for the majority of feature activations that are known to work, and wait for someone to figure out ACC activation
  2. Find someone convenient with Pathfinder or TOPIx Cloud Diagnostics access: Find someone in my region (Missouri) or passing through who has either the Pathfinder or TOPIx Cloud Diagnostics access and pay them either $500 for ACC activation or $750 for all of the activations compatible with my Defender’s model year and trim. These prices are the lowest I’ve seen quoted for in-person activation services.
  3. Combo of 1 and 2: Figure out the in-person activator puzzle, get ACC activate an la carte and buy the Gap IIDTool for other activations and ongoing vehicle diagnostics.
  4. Invest in Pathfinder/TOPIx Cloud Diagnostics based solution: The subject of this thread. Figure out a DIY solution and costs for all feature activations and gain access to diagnostic information on a permanent basis.
  5. Option 4 and sell it as a service: Pay for the tool costs and make a tidy profit by selling activation services to other JLR owners in my immediate area. I’m not serious about that, but if there are people local who don’t want to deal with the potential complexities of a DIY solution, I wouldn’t mind helping people out subject to potential multi-VIN costs.

Along the lines of option 4, has anyone had luck with using this combination of tools to activate ACC?
  • DOIP VCI interface - $100 - $1,200 (see below)
  • Pathfinder app or TOPIx Cloud Diagnostics access
  • TOPIx access (free sign up, option to pay daily, weekly, etc)
  • Knowledge to activate ACC - $TBD
  • Windows PC (the easy part!)

Cost estimates

Best case Pathfinder based scenario would be:

~$550 = $250 non-OEM DOIP VCI interface + $200 supplemental CCF tool + TOPIx access of ~$30 per day or ~$100 per month

Worst case seems to be:

~$1,500 = $1,200 OEM DOIP VCI interface + $200 supplemental CCF tool + TOPIx access of ~$30 per day or ~$100 per month

The ~$550 cost could be attractive compared to buying the Gap IIDTool given that ACC could be enabled. If the solution is straightforward to set up, going DIY and diagnostics access could also be an interesting option as compared to coordinating with third party activators.

I personally would not spend ~$1,000 in the near future on a Pathfinder/TOPIx Cloud Diagnostics based solution. I’d rather wait it out a bit more to see if the Gap IIDTool eventually supports activation of ACC.

JLR Compatible DOIP VCI Interface

This is the device that plugs into the vehicle’s OBDII port under the dash and connects to a PC vis either USB cable or wireless. Some form of this interface is required in conjunction with either the JLR Pathfinder app running on a PC or the newer TOPIx Cloud app.

The OEM part number appears to be: JLR-DoIP-VCI-WF and seems to run ~$1,000. Sourcing a pre owned one on eBay or similar might also be an option.

Other, less expensive options are non-OEM interfaces. A few that I’m researching include:My current focus is to research whether any of the modestly priced non-OEM DoIP VCI interfaces are known to work properly with Pathfinder/TOPIx Cloud Diagnostics and with the 2020+ Defenders. If I can confirm that one of the non-OEM devices works in that respect, I’ll order one and run the experiment with Pathfinder/TOPIx Cloud Diagnostics and potentially the CCF Tools app referenced below.

TOPIx Cloud

Since JLR TOPIx Cloud Diagnostics has been replacing the older Pathfinder app, I’d rather skip trying to use Pathfinder. However, it’s not clear to me how one can use TOPIx Cloud Diagnostics to active ACC. Perhaps the steps are very similar between the two apps.

Here’s the TOPIx Cloud Diagnostics user guide.

Pathfinder app for PC

Since Pathfinder has been replaced by TOPIx Cloud Diagnostics, it looks like JLR removed the official Pathfinder app download link from JLR TOPIx.

Many of the suppliers of non-OEM DoIP VCI interfaces provide options to purchase Pathfinder pre-installed on either an HDD or SDD that you can use to swap out the drive from a Windows laptop. They also provide options to purchase laptops with Pathfinder pre installed. Some of these pre-installations claim that Pathfinder subscription is not needed. Presumably that means that Pathfinder will be limited to an offline mode.

I don’t yet know if those pre-installed versions of Pathfinder are of recent enough versions that they would support our 2020+ Defenders.

TOPIx account

Although some of the aftermarket VCI interface sellers provide installations of Pathfinder that can be used in an offline mode, it’s clear that a suitable TOPIx subscription is required to use TOPIx Cloud Diagnostics.

TOPIx access can be paid for on an hourly basis for $32, a month for $102, etc.

https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/t...cle/lookupForm

Knowledge to activate ACC

Once you either have Pathfinder installed on a PC or access to TOPIx Cloud and a compatible DOIP interface connected to the PC and your Defender’s OBDII port, how can you activate the ACC or other features? I.e. what’s the special sauce that the Pathfinder/TOPIx Cloud Diagnostics based activator community has that doesn’t seem to be generally shared via forums?

If people are using Pathfinder by itself to activate ACC and other features, I suspect that similar steps can be performed using the newer TOPIx Cloud Diagnostics app.

CCF Editing Tools?

The following app for $199 is designed to work with Pathfinder. Based on the screenshots, it might provide a one-click means to activate ACC and other features with the help of Pathfinder. Much like you would experience with the Gap IIDTool. This app might be a way to get Gap IIDTool ease of use with a Pathfinder-based solution.

https://autosvs.com/jlr-ccf-tools-4-9-ccf-editor-vbf/

Note the example on their web page. It includes some settings for2020-2022 Defenders and shows “Defender-ACC” (amongst other features). Also note the detailed programming settings for a selected activation.

Who knows whether those options work in practice.

It’s also not clear to me if these CCF tools that are designed to work with Pathfinder will work with TOPIx Cloud Diagnostics.

Last edited by ckamps; 12-03-2023 at 06:39 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ckamps:
Husky44 (10-01-2023), Iceman153 (10-01-2023), verrilli (10-04-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 01:11 PM
Mudding
Received 161 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Waiting game

I am just not that knowledgeable to use the pc solution, I’ll just wait for the IID tool to do it and then buy it to activate it.

The following users liked this post:
starbai (10-02-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 03:05 PM
Drifting
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a high degree of comfort paying someone like Sarek for his time and expertise. In addition, the conversation, the tips, the advice and knowing that perhaps a really nice Land Rover centric professional can make a living and grow the other parts of his business is good for the community at large.

The following users liked this post:
WAFOX (10-01-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 04:17 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by GHasley
I have a high degree of comfort paying someone like Sarek for his time and expertise. In addition, the conversation, the tips, the advice and knowing that perhaps a really nice Land Rover centric professional can make a living and grow the other parts of his business is good for the community at large.
Yep, there’s obviously a market in that context. Which is a good thing. The beauty of a diverse set of people in the community with different interests, a free market, and experimentation.

Funny, Ralf was coming through my city a few days ago, but logistics didn’t work out. I was just getting my Defender back from PPF installation the night he was traveling through. So I’ve moved on to plan B and hence some further investigation.

Last edited by ckamps; 10-01-2023 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 07:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 631 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by ckamps
Yep, there’s obviously a market in that context. Which is a good thing. The beauty of a diverse set of people in the community with different interests, a free market, and experimentation.

Funny, Ralf was coming through my city a few days ago, but logistics didn’t work out. I was just getting my Defender back from PPF installation the night he was traveling through. So I’ve moved on to plan B and hence some further investigation.
I will be back thru st Louis overnight on Oct. 11 thru 13 ish.if u are still interested

Old 10-03-2023, 09:23 PM
Drifting

FYI - I updated the first post with a reference to the following DoIP VCE pass through interface that I’m researching. Although reports indicate that it’s compatible with Pathfinder and other DoIP compatible Land Rovers, I have some outstanding questions to the vendor and need to do some more searching to see if works properly with our 2020+ Defenders. If the results of the research are positive, I’ll probably purchase one of these devices and run the grand experiment of using Pathfinder + Topix account + CCF Editor to see if I can get ACC activated (amongst other activations).

VXDIAG VCX SE for JLR with DoIP (pass through device) - $239

This note is a bit concerning: “JLR TOPIX has banned all Third-party devices from accessing their server. Recommend to take Optional SDD and Pathfinder HDD together. With HDD, can do same programming and coding functions without online access.”

I wonder if the vendor modifies a copy of the Pathfinder app to work with their non-OEM DoIP VCE interface…

Last edited by ckamps; 10-03-2023 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-04-2023, 03:33 PM
Mudding
Received 121 Likes on 62 Posts

...I personally would not spend ~$1,000 in the near future on a Pathfinder based solution. I’d rather wait it out a bit more to see if the Gap IIDTool eventually supports activation of ACC...
It's not if, it's when. As I posted before, we know what the problem is. We spent considerable time trying to find a solution that was as painless as possible. It will be out in the coming months unless some major unforeseen issue crops up.

...I wonder if you could buy this app and review the detailed programming settings and carry out the CCF-based programming via the Gap IIDTool. All without using Pathfinder. That approach would be $199 + cost of Gap IIDTool. If people shared the programming settings, then it would only be the cost of the Gap IIDTool...
If it were that simple, do you not think we'd have programmed it? ;-p (I don't mean that to sound facetious)
The program does not deliver any addresses or routines, it's simply a db of the various settings required to make a specific CCF edit happen. A somewhat refined version of GavinC's thread on Hairy Dan's summary of CCF settings.

Actually it's funny. We (GAP) started this way 11-12 years ago. The forum was RR.net. A whole lot of work later, here we are

The following 2 users liked this post by stevemfr:
ficklma1 (10-05-2023), Iceman153 (10-05-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 04:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,299 Likes on 949 Posts

Originally Posted by stevemfr
A ..... refined version of GavinC....
I must have just polished my wellies.

But yeah. Thanks for the great product and customer support. Looking forward to ACC when it happens.

Old 10-04-2023, 04:50 PM
Drifting

[QUOTE=stevemfr;878561
If it were that simple, do you not think we'd have programmed it? ;-p (I don't mean that to sound facetious)
The program does not deliver any addresses or routines, it's simply a db of the various settings required to make a specific CCF edit happen. A somewhat refined version of GavinC's thread on Hairy Dan's summary of CCF settings.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, duh on my part to speculate that taking config examples from CCF Tools and applying via Gap IIDTool might work. Obviously, to your point, that doesn't make sense. But hey, I'm human and made a mistake.

Since it seems evident that the CCF Tools app can depend on Pathfinder to deliver CCF changes to the vehicle via a compatible DoIP VCE interface device - all of which is different componentry than the Gap IIDTool, it doesn't seem unreasonable to me to speculate that maybe that this Rube Goldberg combo might have different ACC activation capabilities than a standalone Gap IIDTool device.

I'm not sure what your thoughts are on the effectiveness of that combo for ACC activation.

If it's not an effective combo, then I'm left with investigating the magic incantations needed with Pathfinder itself to activate ACC and other features. That might also be a dead end for me if the knowledge isn't accessible and/or I view the cost of a sufficient Pathfinder based solution to be too much for my liking.

Last edited by ckamps; 10-04-2023 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-05-2023, 02:37 PM
Mudding
Received 84 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by stevemfr
It's not if, it's when. As I posted before, we know what the problem is. We spent considerable time trying to find a solution that was as painless as possible. It will be out in the coming months unless some major unforeseen issue crops up.
Can't wait, been holding out on pulling the trigger on a GAAP tool due to the AAC support for a while now. Definitely update us here when you guys manage to crack it!

Quick Reply: Activating ACC and other features via Pathfinder App