2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive Cruise Control and Emergency Breaking error

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 01:18 PM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

P300 110 Defender 2020. I initially had a few software irregularities and stability but all seem to be cured with Software update 2.0.4 the beginning of November. What I cannot figure out is Forward Alert which seems to MAYBE be part of the emergency braking system. The manual from what I read isn’t correct or my clean sensors don’t work. Searching the forums in UK and Utube I find descriptions that lead me to believe Forward Alert is for traffic that changes lanes in front of you not for an unacceptable closure rate on a vehicle ahead. I am basing my thoughts on the experience I have with our 2019 Discovery Sport which issues a Forward alert for an unacceptable closure rate. It is perfectly tuned-not a nuisance and really what someone sitting with you should say. I have tried to initiate this alert on my defender set to very early in settings without any luck. If it works it will be alerting me after I hit the vehicle in front. I cannot tell if this is as intended-the dealer doesn’t know and there is is not any JLR video I can find that will shed light on it. The Defender camera system in windshield and radar behind badge are different from my 2019 Disco Sport so I am perplexed. All cruise control and adaptive speed limiter functions including Adaptive Speed Limiter work as advertised. So I know that at least the Radar and cameras work. Really this is the only question I have on the entire vehicle. Just can’t find an answer- anyone have any knowledge here?

Old 04-13-2021, 09:56 AM
Drifting
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I am having the "Emergency Braking and Emergency Steering Not Available" error occur again. It has been in the dealership twice to address it and I picked her up again yesterday and again it is back. They did some software update both times to attempt to address it. Sure would like a solution as this has been going on off and on since I took delivery last year.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:47 AM
Mudding

I am headed into Seattle tomorrow for same issue. Car is great in all other respects but randomly I will get 3 or 4 in a day. Always on start and they always go away the next start after a short sit. Usually I have AHBA flipping off and a stall for presentation of map on driver info screen about the same time. Then the car is flawless for a week or more then it’s a repeat. I am trying to catch the warning with my FIXD OBD2 reader to see if there is a code.

My completely uneducated guess is there is some sort of stray signal on start occasionally that makes these items occur. I thought maybe I had a bad battery as others have reported. JLR says it checks good but for me it never reads above about 12.2-12.3 volts after a day of driving. That’s 60-70% for an AGM which seems odd. If I charge it up to 13V which is 100% and it just sits it will drop back to 12.3 volts. I just wonder if there is some management module that isn’t right. That said there shouldn’t be any relation to start up issues at 12.3 volts which should be plenty. I just cannot think of any other cause except of course software. In the absence of anything I can read or hear from JLR I am starting to make up my own answers I guess. Message to JLR.

I will post if I find resolution. Everyone is great about helping at dealer but somewhere someone must know or is working this issue- wish I could just know it is being worked

more later

Old 04-13-2021, 10:52 AM
Mudding

Quick follow up to my post. Some mentioned with the emergency braking and steering warning they didn’t have emergency steering anyway. Try LKA - Lane Keep Assist next time you have it and you will find it doesn’t work and you get a message to that affect.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:59 AM
Mudding

One more update. As of now it appears my Defender VIN is not recognized by my FIXD branded OBD reader device. I assume that will correct itself with time but as of now I won’t be able to capture any codes that might show for the emergency braking and steering warning.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:57 PM
Drifting

I haven't tried to pull any codes. I might give it a go this evening to see if I can get anything.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:58 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by umbertob
Yup, had a similar message pop up a couple of days ago while I was driving, mine said Emergency Braking and Emergency Steering not available, which is kinda funny considering Emergency Steering is not an option in these cars to begin with... Sure enough, ACC stopped working as a result. Pulled over and checked the Land Rover oval, where the radar is hidden, to make sure it was clean and free of debris (it was squeaky clean), got back in the car and restarted the engine. Message was gone and ACC has been working fine since.
Actually we do have emergency steering but it';s called Emergency Lane Keeping Assist that will steer you away from oncoming vehicles that intrude into your lane. See following: https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/.../proc/G2738034 and also https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/.../proc/G2738032 We also have a feature that detects drop off on the right side of the vehicle when in certain conditions but cannot find it to post here. The manual denotes it.

Old 04-13-2021, 01:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 632 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnumforc
Actually we do have emergency steering but it';s called Emergency Lane Keeping Assist that will steer you away from oncoming vehicles that intrude into your lane. See following: https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/.../proc/G2738034 and also https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/.../proc/G2738032 We also have a feature that detects drop off on the right side of the vehicle when in certain conditions but cannot find it to post here. The manual denotes it.
This is true...on a road near our house there is a sharp curve on an incline and the Defender always "sees" oncoming traffic and pulls to the right away from it. Our Honda Passport totally freaks out and even brakes in this same spot.

The following users liked this post:
Magnumforc (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 02:04 PM
Drifting

I turned that feature off this morning (the LKA) after it scared the crap out of me pushing me towards the right lane with cars in it because it saw the curb on my left. Honestly wasn't that close to it. The error appeared not long after that incident. I didn't turn off the LKA for another 15 miles or so until I had a chance to dig into the menu.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 261 Likes on 138 Posts

I watched a Shdelock video where he gave a 6 month ownership update. In the update, he talked about OBD tools and said that after speaking with JLR, they have put code in to give false fault codes on aftermarket OBD tools. He thinks it will all go away once an update is given to all OBD tools designed for the Defender.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Cruise Control and Emergency Breaking error