2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Compressor Blowing Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 12:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 238 Likes on 97 Posts

Anyone else still having fuse issues? I installed a compressor myself (to save money of course), but did it carefully and methodically (as per PowerFul UK's videos and the more crytic Land Rover instructions). It turns on but may inflate a tire, or may blow the fuse half way through. Fuses only blow when under load. Interestingly, if I have the compressor hose attached to a tire before turning on the compressor (so under air pressure load) the fuse blows quickly after turning on compressor. But most of the time, with the compressor on first, I can move to at least a tire or two and get them inflated before it blows again.

Since I purchased and did the install myself (for a great price from LR Direct in the UK, I might say), I'm sure I have no warranty coverage (unless Land Rover were to honor a warranty on the part itself... but what a nightmare I'm sure that would be since I'm not the dealership). That's what I get for trying to cheap out.

Well, I may just have to go back through the installation and make sure all my connections are solid and clean...

Here's a link to my install thread

Old 01-08-2022, 12:07 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Akrna
mine required a new compressor - no issues since.
I guess you'll never know if it was truly a faulty compressor or faulty install on the first unit, and better on the second? Glad it was solved!

Old 01-08-2022, 02:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

Well this is a bummer as I'm about to order and (self) install one of these. It sounds like at least 3-4 ppl having the same problem with it, is that right?

Old 01-08-2022, 03:42 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Well this is a bummer as I'm about to order and (self) install one of these. It sounds like at least 3-4 ppl having the same problem with it, is that right?
Don't let our experience scare you off. I was able to save serious money by finding a fair price and doing it myself. If you aren't worried about saving $, then have your dealer do it, and you'll have a cleaner repair/warranty experience if it acts up.

I'm about to do some electrical troubleshooting and I'm hopeful that I may find some glitches in my wiring. There's a weird step where you have to essentially "re-tool" the plug that originally went to the 12v accessory plug under the compressor in order for it to provide power to the compressor (steps 3,5 & 6 on Land Rovers installation instructions). Its probably the step where I screwed up, because now I've discovered that my 12V accessory plug isn't functional (even when the compressor is off) and this is NOT correct. I must admit that I didn't test its functionality during or after the install. I suspect that something is out of place with my wiring in that step and its intermittently causing problems.

Powerful UK's video gives you more info on that little "re-tooling" of the plug step, so be sure to pay special attention and you'll be fine.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (01-08-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 02:48 PM
Rock Crawling

Today I took down the installation and looked over everything. I think my problem was the wiring inside the 12V accessory outlet underneath the compressor. You have to do some creative wiring and re-work the plug from the original loom, to the accessory plug on the new compressor loom. Its really a finicky little plug and you have to have really good close up vision (and I don't!) to see the little plastic tabs holding the wire plugs in place as you pull them out and install into the new loom accessory plug.. So I found that one of the little female plugs wasn't seating properly inside the new plug assembly. Thus the outlet wasn't working and probably shorting the relay inside the compressor that's designed to turn off the outlet when the compressor is powered on. I had damaged the plug with all my messing about, so I just insulated and plugged the female ends of the two wires directly onto the male posts inside the back of the outlet, then taped everything up to secure the wires from coming out.

Just to be sure (while I had everything taken apart, I powered up the compressor from a 12V battery outside of the vehicle, with an inline fuse, and it worked fine (thanks for the suggestion @GrouseK9 )!

Now, I'm pleased to say everything is working! The outlet powers on when you open a door or start the engine, and turns off when the compressor is turned on.
Used the compressor to inflate and deflate multiple tires and (fingers crossed) no more blown fuses.

So the moral of the story is to be REALLY careful with all the wiring connections, because its very sensitive to any irregularities!

Note: green LED showing the outlet is powered up and then in the next photo, compressor is on and outlet turns off.

The following 2 users liked this post by drcoop:
GrouseK9 (01-09-2022), WMN (01-10-2022)