2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is air suspension worth it if I don't plan to do much off roading?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 04:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,402 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by sacharama
The ride is much better than coil.
i’m curious about the basis for this statement. Have you done literal back to back tests between fairly identical defenders on the same road with both types of suspension? I realize that the idea of airbags and just floating along on a cushion of air implies a much smoother ride, but a tremendous number of extremely smooth riding premium luxury sedans have coil spring suspension‘s and not airbags. So it is certainly possible to design around coil springs and produce exceptional comfort. I have no experience, zero, with an L663 coil sprung defender. And yes, my airbag suspended defender is much smoother than my coil spring wrangler was. It also cost 2.7 times as much MSRP to MSRP. I suspect that has more to do with it then coil versus airbags. But again, I’m just speculating. Do you have actual experience? Or even a link to a well regarded reviewer who has done such a scientifically based comparison? Thanks

Old 06-12-2022, 04:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 235 Likes on 110 Posts

Yes I have

Before I ordered mine, I test drove the 110 and the 90 multiple times and one of the things I did was to drive the air suspension and the coil back to back on the same route in various speed and such and I felt the difference and decided on the air.

I am only stating that the air suspension ride is better than the coil ride on the defender as that was the question. I am not stating that coil suspension is not good on this car or any other car, but the air suspension ride is better than the coil based on my experience and my application of the vehicle.

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
i’m curious about the basis for this statement. Have you done literal back to back tests between fairly identical defenders on the same road with both types of suspension? I realize that the idea of airbags and just floating along on a cushion of air implies a much smoother ride, but a tremendous number of extremely smooth riding premium luxury sedans have coil spring suspension‘s and not airbags. So it is certainly possible to design around coil springs and produce exceptional comfort. I have no experience, zero, with an L663 coil sprung defender. And yes, my airbag suspended defender is much smoother than my coil spring wrangler was. It also cost 2.7 times as much MSRP to MSRP. I suspect that has more to do with it then coil versus airbags. But again, I’m just speculating. Do you have actual experience? Or even a link to a well regarded reviewer who has done such a scientifically based comparison? Thanks

The following users liked this post:
Kev M (06-12-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 07:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,402 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by sacharama
Yes I have

Before I ordered mine, I test drove the 110 and the 90 multiple times and one of the things I did was to drive the air suspension and the coil back to back on the same route in various speed and such and I felt the difference and decided on the air.

I am only stating that the air suspension ride is better than the coil ride on the defender as that was the question. I am not stating that coil suspension is not good on this car or any other car, but the air suspension ride is better than the coil based on my experience and my application of the vehicle.
Excellent! Good intel, then. By the time I started shopping (Feb 2021) I was lucky to get one drive in the only Defender on the lot, and by the time I went back with a few questions a week later it was gone and I’ve never seen a “for sale” Defender on any of the local JLR lots since that time. The sort of test drives you enjoyed are but a pipe dream to us latecomers.

Old 06-12-2022, 08:34 PM
Rock Crawling

I originally was going to get the Tesla cybertruck as I had put down a deposit on the dual motor model. But then I realized that it was going to be a while before I can get the vehicle, and i decided to get the defender. It was the fall of 2020 when I started looking into it and test driving them. The 90 was not available yet at the time so I was test driving the 110 between the p400 vs p300. Then when the 90 became available I went to test drive the 90 between the p400 vs p300 and air vs coil a few times and settled on the p300 air with off-road pack and 11.4 screen.

Back then there were multiple models on the lot and showrooms available. As you said, it would be impossible to do so later in 2021. I think the options and features on mine can no longer be had shortly after I took delivery of it. I lucked out on the timing and I got somewhat of an unicorn.

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Excellent! Good intel, then. By the time I started shopping (Feb 2021) I was lucky to get one drive in the only Defender on the lot, and by the time I went back with a few questions a week later it was gone and I’ve never seen a “for sale” Defender on any of the local JLR lots since that time. The sort of test drives you enjoyed are but a pipe dream to us latecomers.

Old 06-13-2022, 08:38 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

I'm seriously impressed. The only time I test drove my Defender was on the way home! When I was shopping in early '21 there were maybe 2 Defenders on the lot: one sold and one being test driven. I just laid the credit card # down and ordered. Anyone who has had the opportunity to drive multiple models with various options at a Dealer has my amazement. Well done there. I think the only time I saw that many variably configured Defenders was at SCARR. Then again, most had some sort of lifting or other modification that may have made it a skewed result.

Old 06-13-2022, 08:59 AM
Rock Crawling

First test drive the 110 p400 hse in 2020

One of the later test drive of the 110 p300

The 90 finally arrived

First time seeing the Tasman Blue in person and loving it back in fall 2020

One of the test drives of the 90

Taking delivery of the unicorn

Checking out the cargo space of the 90 to make sure that I can work with the limited cargo space

The above images are not in chronological order.

The following 3 users liked this post by sacharama:
GavinC (06-13-2022), GrouseK9 (06-13-2022), Trekkie (06-15-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 09:07 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Oh, I believed you! I just have the patience of a gold fish. Or is that a Golden Retriever? I forget already....