2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternative to BLACK TIE DOWN RINGS / EYE NUTS - BY FRONT RUNNER ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2023, 11:12 AM
Winching
Received 567 Likes on 301 Posts
Default Alternative to BLACK TIE DOWN RINGS / EYE NUTS - BY FRONT RUNNER ?

Hey all and specifically those with a Frontrunner rack - are there alternatives to the BLACK TIE DOWN RINGS / EYE NUTS - BY FRONT RUNNER Tie Down Rings

They seem fairly pricey. Im also thinking stainless might be better than painted?

Thanks!

Old 01-26-2023, 04:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 417 Likes on 171 Posts

Hey! It depends on what you're mounting. I have their wolfpack pro boxes, surfboard rack, max trax mount, gas cans and water mount all of which have nice dedicated mounting systems. I have used a ring for slinging a hammock or something like that off the rack but not to tie anything down.

Happy to answer any install or accessory questions, I have tried a lot of them and been to their shop in Thousand Oaks so I know a good amount about their gear.

The following users liked this post:
MattF (01-26-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 05:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 85 Likes on 40 Posts

FWIW I find them to be pretty solid, having dropped one on the driveway during assembly it doesn't seem to chip or wear easily. That said they do have stainless options on their site for even more money! I use them to tie down our tent with their scrunchie cables and it works out great for us but I wouldn't mind hearing about what other folks use.

I can't be certain but I wanna say I have a couple extra left over that I am not using which I would happily send your way since they are just laying around. I will check this weekend and let you know if I am remembering correctly.

The following 2 users liked this post by mdgs:
inater (01-26-2023), MattF (01-26-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 06:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 260 Likes on 138 Posts

You can buy a m8​​​​​​eye bolt from home depot and an m8 nut. Don't forget to get a one to match your hold weight

MattF (01-26-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 06:59 AM
Winching

Thank you! Happy to take you up on your offer to share information. I ordered the Front Runner rack earlier this week - delivery should be next week. Looking forward to getting it mounted before the snow falls around here.

Originally Posted by inater
Hey! It depends on what you're mounting. I have their wolfpack pro boxes, surfboard rack, max trax mount, gas cans and water mount all of which have nice dedicated mounting systems. I have used a ring for slinging a hammock or something like that off the rack but not to tie anything down.

Happy to answer any install or accessory questions, I have tried a lot of them and been to their shop in Thousand Oaks so I know a good amount about their gear.

Old 01-27-2023, 07:01 AM
Winching

Super generous of you to offer what you might have. It might cost more to ship them then for me to buy them!!

Originally Posted by mdgs
FWIW I find them to be pretty solid, having dropped one on the driveway during assembly it doesn't seem to chip or wear easily. That said they do have stainless options on their site for even more money! I use them to tie down our tent with their scrunchie cables and it works out great for us but I wouldn't mind hearing about what other folks use.

I can't be certain but I wanna say I have a couple extra left over that I am not using which I would happily send your way since they are just laying around. I will check this weekend and let you know if I am remembering correctly.

Old 01-27-2023, 04:10 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 85 Likes on 40 Posts

@MattF I hate to see things go to waste just sitting around when I don't see myself using them. I did end up finding 4 that I would be happy to send your way if you cover the shipping. That said I took a close look at these which I had mounted up before in a different configuration and noticed there is obvious wear on the black finish exposing the metal. Based on your previous comment about the snow (I take my rack off for the winter) you may find a stainless option holds up better with the salt out there. Feel free to DM me your address if you wanna give these extras a go.

MattF (01-27-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 04:21 PM
Winching

Wonderfully generous of you!! Thank you. Will send over a DM

Originally Posted by mdgs
@MattF I hate to see things go to waste just sitting around when I don't see myself using them. I did end up finding 4 that I would be happy to send your way if you cover the shipping. That said I took a close look at these which I had mounted up before in a different configuration and noticed there is obvious wear on the black finish exposing the metal. Based on your previous comment about the snow (I take my rack off for the winter) you may find a stainless option holds up better with the salt out there. Feel free to DM me your address if you wanna give these extras a go.