2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone in Massachusetts need Defender Michelin Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 08:41 AM
Mudding
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Yep, those actually aren't in stock.

Old 08-25-2021, 08:43 AM
Mudding

Thanks for the suggestion -- yes, saw those and a couple Michelin options out there on manufacturer sites but nothing available at retail online... will try the special order. My local tire shop is listed as a Nokian dealer.

Old 08-25-2021, 08:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 634 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by sblvro
I would not sell them. I would put it back during trade in or when selling the defender.
Yep, I'm going to put my OEM wheels in perfect condition with Wrangler OEM tires away until trade-in time. I picked-up another set that I'll use for offroad with AT tires.

Old 08-25-2021, 12:55 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by PaulLR
Get the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV winter tires. However, be aware that they make 2 versions in 255/70/18. You want tire code T431867 which is the XL load version.
Find a Nokian dealer near you and see if they can order them. May take a few weeks to get them.
My local Hogan Tire shop ordered these for me today — thanks for the nudge to get moving. I think anyone seeking dedicated winter tires will need to order vs relying on expectation of tires being in stock or available online. Excited to try the Nokians — the fans are quite loyal to the brand.

Old 08-25-2021, 02:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by patpatriot6
My local Hogan Tire shop ordered these for me today — thanks for the nudge to get moving. I think anyone seeking dedicated winter tires will need to order vs relying on expectation of tires being in stock or available online. Excited to try the Nokians — the fans are quite loyal to the brand.
Did you order 5 winter tires? I got 5 since I figure if I hit a big pothole and blow out a sidewall mid-winter, there is no chance I can find a replacement tire then. Only issue is which way to mount the spare winter tire since they are directional. It's a 50-50 guess.

Old 08-25-2021, 02:51 PM
Mudding
Received 167 Likes on 98 Posts

Has anyone run the Goodyears in New England snow? My 110 is arriving in December (maybe- should have been early September) and I'm on the fence about buying a set of dedicated winter tires (probably Hakkapelittas since I had great experience with them when I lived in VT) or whether the Wrangler "off-road" tires will be good enough for getting to and from ski resorts in the winter

Old 08-25-2021, 02:56 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Did you order 5 winter tires? I got 5 since I figure if I hit a big pothole and blow out a sidewall mid-winter, there is no chance I can find a replacement tire then. Only issue is which way to mount the spare winter tire since they are directional. It's a 50-50 guess.
I would order a passenger side. You are more likely to puncture it from a nail, a shoulder nail or potholes.

The following users liked this post:
PaulLR (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 06:57 AM
Mudding

Yes, ordered 5 -- my thoughts were the same... blow one and pretty much no chance of getting a replacement in a timely manner.

PaulLR (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 07:03 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by DoctorofRocks
Has anyone run the Goodyears in New England snow? My 110 is arriving in December (maybe- should have been early September) and I'm on the fence about buying a set of dedicated winter tires (probably Hakkapelittas since I had great experience with them when I lived in VT) or whether the Wrangler "off-road" tires will be good enough for getting to and from ski resorts in the winter
They were "ok" -- perfectly fine for getting home locally during messy weather driving cautiously. You won't get stuck in a driveway or parking lot. No way I'd feel comfortable using them on some of the white knuckle highway drives between metro-Boston and ski country. You know, the ones where one lane of 89 is clear, the other has snow on it, the person in front of you is driving 35 in their car without snow tires, and you need to pass in the snow lane....

The following 2 users liked this post by patpatriot6:
DoctorofRocks (08-27-2021), PaulLR (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 08:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by patpatriot6
You know, the ones where one lane of 89 is clear, the other has snow on it, the person in front of you is driving 35 in their car without snow tires, and you need to pass in the snow lane....
So true, especially on 89 in VT. Rather than crawl along on 2 tracks of polished ice, you can get better traction and go faster on the snowy lane. As long as you are running winter tires, of course.

DoctorofRocks (08-27-2021)

Quick Reply: Anyone in Massachusetts need Defender Michelin Tires?