Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apple CarPlay Mutes

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 12:01 PM
Overlanding
Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Apple CarPlay Mutes

Hi all, every couple weeks my Apple CarPlay will mute for no reason. When this occurs, the Mute Icon appears on the right side of the Pivi. I will hit the Power button on the volume **** near passenger side and the Mute icon will go away but CarPlay will still be muted. If I then select FM as Audio source, the FM will play normally. I can then go back to CarPlay and it will work normally again. This has occurred both when my phone was linked to Defender and when my wife's phone was connected to Defender, and has happened when connected both via Wireless and Wired. Anyone else experience this issue or have an idea of how to permanently resolve?

Last edited by warkeld; 10-26-2022 at 12:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 10:24 AM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by warkeld
Hi all, every couple weeks my Apple CarPlay will mute for no reason. When this occurs, the Mute Icon appears on the right side of the Pivi. I will hit the Power button on the volume **** near passenger side and the Mute icon will go away but CarPlay will still be muted. If I then select FM as Audio source, the FM will play normally. I can then go back to CarPlay and it will work normally again. This has occurred both when my phone was linked to Defender and when my wife's phone was connected to Defender, and has happened when connected both via Wireless and Wired. Anyone else experience this issue or have an idea of how to permanently resolve?
This happens to mine as well. Honestly, it happens almost daily. I'm the only one who connects a phone to CarPlay so I'm not sure what the deal is here. I brought it up to Service department at my dealership and they didn't find anything wrong. I'm still looking for a solution as well.

GrouseK9 (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 11:49 AM
Mudding
Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

Same here and I've just become accustomed to quickly switching input to FM radio then back to my phone

GrouseK9 (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 12:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Ditto. I find I have to press the "Power" button / or push in the volume button. Once I do that, it takes off again.

Old 01-08-2024, 06:23 AM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

a few days ago Carplay completely stopped working for me. my phone won’t connect, tried my daughters phone, same thing. another quirky thing that hopefully resolve in a few days, but it’s already been a few days. 😐

Old 01-09-2024, 11:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 461 Likes on 232 Posts

I get this issue from time to time, but it seems to occur at the same places. It seems to happen where there are traffic monitoring systems or bank alarms are in place. I also find it out in the middle of nowhere around train switching signaling systems. Mine will also connect up fine on the first start up, then as I run errands, it will act like there is no phone at all for quite awhile after a restart. I have found if it is being really choosey suddenly about re-connecting to the phone, I then plug it into the center console's USB with a lightning cable. Then it acts fine and I can even un-plug it after a while. There have been times, I have to leave it plugged in the entire trip. It is annoying. It would be kind of cool if there was a mute/unmute soft key. Obviously they thought about it, or there would be no symbol showing it muted. Then again it could be something going on with the phone itself. It is just somewhat life threatening to trouble shoot on the phone while driving. That and it seems to like to do it when I am alone in the car.

I suppose there is something out there in the 2.4 ghz or a multiple of that band causing interference in the Bluetooth signal and mucking up the connection, which manifests itself as a mute function signal either from the car to the phone or the phone to the car. Would be interesting to see if other non-JLR bluetooth CarPlay installations suffer from similar issues.

On a side note, the audio sounds better when directly connected to USB and I am deaf, mostly (the flight surgeon says I have selective attention deficiency when my wife is speaking, as he cannot find anything wrong with the beepy machine they test with). So the fact I can notice the difference is significant.

WAFOX (01-10-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 08:55 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for the reply. and the laugh.

yeah about a week
ago carplay stopped certain behaviors. if i grab my phone and put on a song on spotify, or even a youtube video it would
immediately play through the speakers. Nowadays, not so
much!

I usually check traffic on my
phone before i walk
out the front door, then the car pics it up when i get in and i can see google maps on my screen. Not so
much these past few days.

Car is at the dealer now for a headlight LED issue. I’m worried that if i mention the issue they’ll charge me to then “find nothing” soooooo

like most probs i just cross my fingers when i start up and hope for 1 less quirk today !!🤣

Old 01-10-2024, 04:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 461 Likes on 232 Posts

Just for information, when I drive by this traffic gizmo on I-40 about 80% of the time going westbound and 40% of the time going eastbound, it kills CarPlay.

This this piece of mystery train automation does it every other time I go by:

Old 01-10-2024, 05:26 PM
Mudding
Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

Glad to hear others have the same experience. I also noticed how some specific locations here seems to zap carplay pretty regularly and it's always made me wonder what signals are being put out in those areas to impact carplay.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:41 PM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

Android Auto does the same thing