2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Available New Carpathian Edition 110

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 08:12 PM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts

i have never paid sticker and always got significant discounts on my cars. if i didn’t get over my my p400 it would be a hard pill to swallow

i agree with the comment on watches. if you don’t have the connection to get a watch as msrp then you are hanging out with the wrong crowd or not doing something right

Originally Posted by Yulongtd6
Paying over MSRP is very stupid and makes no sense to me, it's just a waiting game (same goes for watches, etc.)

Agree on price sensitivity, I have a V8 and could care less about the price of gas. If anything I'd be more concerned about my boat this summer.

Old 03-01-2022, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 108 Likes on 48 Posts

Saying I’ll never pay over msrp for a car or watch is like saying I’ll never pay over ipo price for a stock or what the the house price was when it was first built.

It’s a lovely thought and makes for good virtue signaling and grandstanding on forums but it’s completely disconnected from reality.

Some things trade below original listing price some things trade over, that’s reality … and reality is indifferent to your feelings, opinions, morality, or inability to accept it.

A whole bunch of people told me not to pay $30k over for a Nautilus Travel Time three years ago … now they’re trading for a quarter mil, $200k over sticker.

Buy the things that move you if they are worth it to you at their current market price regardless whether they are trading above or below msrp … sometimes the market goes your way and most often it doesn’t, but at least if it doesn’t you’ve enjoyed the thing, which is the point of money to begin with.

The following 2 users liked this post by soulsea:
catman (03-01-2022), yocut33m (08-06-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 08:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 186 Likes on 112 Posts

You can also just have patience.

Old 03-01-2022, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Yulongtd6
You can also just have patience.
Patience is relative to desire and means.

Money is a renewable resource, time isn’t.

Old 03-01-2022, 09:32 PM
Mudding
Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by CombatNinja
Have fun losing $50,000 on a stupid Defender in 2 years.
Rough day at the office eh?

Old 03-01-2022, 09:39 PM
Winching

there is no msrp on homes and stocks. but both are considered investments. i can’t remember a time a new car has appreciated and considered anywhere near an “investment” but we are in interesting times. These times will end. But what’s most important is losing 50k or any number on your defender really matter.

but as all things end, this bubble of housing and watches will burst. My gut is that we are really close

Originally Posted by soulsea
Saying I’ll never pay over msrp for a car or watch is like saying I’ll never pay over ipo price for a stock or what the the house price was when it was first built.

It’s a lovely thought and makes for good virtue signaling and grandstanding on forums but it’s completely disconnected from reality.

Some things trade below original listing price some things trade over, that’s reality … and reality is indifferent to your feelings, opinions, morality, or inability to accept it.

A whole bunch of people told me not to pay $30k over for a Nautilus Travel Time three years ago … now they’re trading for a quarter mil, $200k over sticker.

Buy the things that move you if they are worth it to you at their current market price regardless whether they are trading above or below msrp … sometimes the market goes your way and most often it doesn’t, but at least if it doesn’t you’ve enjoyed the thing, which is the point of money to begin with.

Old 03-01-2022, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ehloo
there is no msrp on homes and stocks. but both are considered investments. i can’t remember a time a new car has appreciated and considered anywhere near an “investment” but we are in interesting times. These times will end. But what’s most important is losing 50k or any number on your defender really matter.

but as all things end, this bubble of housing and watches will burst. My gut is that we are really close
When a new development gets built the houses are released by the builder in their equivalent of msrp.
When a stock goes to ipo the set price is the msrp.

What happens afterwards is dictated by supply/demand market value.

You want to hold on to your traditional view of how a car or watch purchase ‘should’ behave, have at it. Like I said the market and reality go on and are indifferent to your opinion beyond your power to spend your money as your wish to. I have yet to meet a person who’s all up on their virtues about sticking to msrp that hasn’t beaten down a dealer for as much off of msrp when the market is in their favor. The complaining only goes in one direction … pretty much the definition of hypocrisy.

If one can’t grasp the fact that msrp, on a physical product of all things, is arbitrary and indifferent to market value, good luck navigating a world that stuff like NFTs, meme cryptos, meta real estate, all have value out of thin air.

No one has to like it or even spend any of their money where they don’t want to, pendulums inevitably swing and if one waits long enough they might swing to them being right at the expense of losing a lot of money and joy on the way there whist their life clock is ticking away waiting to be proved right … beyond that it’s all old man yelling at clouds.

If i didn’t have access to an msrp allocation I would have called your dealer the minute I saw your opening post. Yesterday is irrelevant and tomorrow is unpredictable … today $20k over sticker for that car is actually a decent deal.

Last edited by soulsea; 03-01-2022 at 10:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lutfy (03-02-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 10:20 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts
Old 03-01-2022, 10:46 PM
Winching

i disagree on your comment on new construction and prices released by builders being considered “msrp” I am somewhat in this field and those prices are driven by the market and demand. Msrp is based on cost and profit margins. Although it might sound similar i have seen builders dramatically raise prices. cost have gone up but they are just maximizing profits and pricing to the market. why not

Msrp is not driven by market and demand.

don’t get me wrong. i agree with your comments. Shoot, i paid over for my V8 and not thinking twice about my decision. I am not complaining about the over msrp market we are living in. Just an interesting time to see a a well known depreciating asset go the other way around. Market/demand is dictating prices. One can wait and hope one day their dealer gets the allocation and purchase at Msrp. the way things sound the 5.0 Supercharge V8 will be a thing of the past and even more collectible

But i would personally not pay over on a watch. I have never purchased a watch from anybody beside a dealer. Sometimes i have to spend way more than i want on other items to get the actual desired watch. The watch market is hugely inflated like everything else. feels great for those that a have collection but if you don’t ever sell the current market value doesn’t mean much

either way i enjoy the discussion and perspective

Originally Posted by soulsea
When a new development gets built the houses are released by the builder in their equivalent of msrp.
When a stock goes to ipo the set price is the msrp.

What happens afterwards is dictated by supply/demand market value.

You want to hold on to your traditional view of how a car or watch purchase ‘should’ behave, have at it. Like I said the market and reality go on and are indifferent to your opinion beyond your power to spend your money as your wish to. I have yet to meet a person who’s all up on their virtues about sticking to msrp that hasn’t beaten down a dealer for as much off of msrp when the market is in their favor. The complaining only goes in one direction … pretty much the definition of hypocrisy.

If one can’t grasp the fact that msrp, on a physical product of all things, is arbitrary and indifferent to market value, good luck navigating a world that stuff like NFTs, meme cryptos, meta real estate, all have value out of thin air.

No one has to like it or even spend any of their money where they don’t want to, pendulums inevitably swing and if one waits long enough they might swing to them being right at the expense of losing a lot of money and joy on the way there whist their life clock is ticking away waiting to be proved right … beyond that it’s all old man yelling at clouds.

If i didn’t have access to an msrp allocation I would have called your dealer the minute I saw your opening post. Yesterday is irrelevant and tomorrow is unpredictable … today $20k over sticker for that car is actually a decent deal.

Old 03-02-2022, 10:18 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by CombatNinja
Have fun losing $50,000 on a stupid Defender in 2 years.
LOL, isn't that commonly known as "Buying a Land Rover Product?"

Quick Reply: Available New Carpathian Edition 110