Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avoid the OEM Black Locking Nuts - They Rust

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 06:46 PM
Mudding
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Avoid the OEM Black Locking Nuts - They Rust

These were on my spare for 6 months, over the winter... They were brand new OEM land rover lugs (VPLWW0093), they looked awesome at first, but apparently there is no rust protection here beyond the paint itself. I left one of the new style lock nuts that came with the car on the spare with these, exposed to the same conditions, and it still looks brand new. I installed and torqued these carefully by hand too, I've never seen lugs do this so fast before. Just a warning for anyone thinking of getting the black land rover lock nuts to match their black rims, they look great, but it's not worth it. Needless to say I'm removing them all and swapping to the new style satin chrome locking lugs that came on the spare, I also bought a spare tire cover for good measure. The lock nuts that were on the other wheels were no-where near as bad as these on the spare, but they were all showing signs of rust.

The new style locking nuts are Part#LR137573 for reference, dealers in Canada do not stock these and try not to sell them as they apparently can't get the master keys for them. They are able to special order them with the part number, or you can get them online pretty easy too. Luckily the new ones come in a 6 lug set (the parts diagram only shows 4 lugs, but there are actually 6 in the pack). The old style only came in a 4 pack so you had to buy 2 and have two keys...

The following users liked this post:
WMN (04-05-2022)