Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better Than Wrangler Adventure?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 10:38 AM
Mudding
Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Better Than Wrangler Adventure?

The Goodyear Wrangler Adventures that come with the off road pack catch a lot of flack, but I think most agree they’re good on road, and approximately decent off road.

There are many great recommendations for tires that do well off-road, like the KO2, but those don’t seem to be as good on road. Obvious many great street tire options that can’t go off road as well.

My question is, what tire do you think would do better at being a primarily on road tire, with comparable road noise, vibration, and MPG, that is at least approx as good as the Wrangler Adventures off road?

Old 10-24-2022, 10:45 AM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am getting 20-23 mpg with a p400 with the 19inch wheels and the stock "off road" tires. My initial test in nasty clay/grass/mud at the ranch was shocking, I cleared through the troubled spots without any issues. Just for fun I engaged the lockers through a spot where vehicles frequently get stuck and I went straight through (and then up) without a hiccup. Previously, I would only take my 3/4 ton with 35 inch toyo r/ts through that section because of how many vehicles it has snared in the past.

No idea how they perform in icy/snow weather.

The following users liked this post:
Caliber (10-30-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 11:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,382 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by jusmax88

My question is, what tire do you think would do better at being a primarily on road tire, with comparable road noise, vibration, and MPG, that is at least approx as good as the Wrangler Adventures off road?
Well, if this new mystery tire has "comparable road noise, vibration, and MPG" as the Adventurer, then how does it "do better at being a primarily on-road tire?" Not being a smartass, I'm just wondering what parameters you want it to beat the Wrangler at?

And from my experience, the OEM Wrangler is great on-road for an AT, and sucks off-road because of its fragile sidewalls, which are a big part of why it's so good on-road. The things that make for a good on-road tire are antithetical to good off-road performance, and vice versa. Which is why I have two sets of wheels and tires, optimized for my off-roading trips and for my on-road (98% of my miles) use. 18" Cooper Discoverer RTs for off- and the OEM 20s for On road.

While the Coopers are fine (I put 4500 miles on them on an off-roading trip out west, which I had to get to from Atlanta by driving, you guessed it, on the road. ) This confirmed my decision to not settle for the added noise and vibration of the RT-style (midway between AT and MT) tires all the time.

Old 10-24-2022, 11:40 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,292 Likes on 948 Posts

For off road you really want to look at it from two primary concerns.

1: Traction. LR has all sorts of electrical aides to help with that and for many situations it can and does overcome the compromise OEM tread. It's a fine tire for the majority of situations. Flat mud, grass sand etc. It's lightweight, has low rolling resistance and has a little more lug than the all season option. Great for most user-scenarios. In snow, it doesn't do the job for me but I'm sure many find it more than adequate. Depends on your snow and road conditions I guess.

2: Toughness. Sidewall strength is absent on the Goodyears. That has been their primary limiting factor for me, preventing predictable access to rockier and rootier trails, of which there are many. Definitely Adventure awaits with the OEM. You just don't know what sort. A thinner sidewall also means far more tire bulge when aired down. If on 20"s as I was, it effectively means this is not an option below light load settings for the terrain I'm on.

On-road they have been great. Off-road and snow. Not so much.

The following 2 users liked this post by GavinC:
GrouseK9 (10-30-2022), this_account_is_mt (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 12:49 PM
Mudding
Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Well, if this new mystery tire has "comparable road noise, vibration, and MPG" as the Adventurer, then how does it "do better at being a primarily on-road tire?" Not being a smartass, I'm just wondering what parameters you want it to beat the Wrangler at?
Better off-road mainly, better snow/ice performance would be nice too, which as I understand it are this tire’s main shortcomings.
I guess my main concern is sidewall strength; even though I went with the 18s I’m still worried about airing down (not sure if I should be).

Old 10-24-2022, 01:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts

Falken, Michelin and Continental are in the running for as good or better than Goodyear OEM AT tires, IMO. Run away as fast as you can from Pirelli.

Off-road, I am still very pleased with my first set of Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

Enjoy !

The following users liked this post:
NoGaBiker (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 01:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,382 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Falken, Michelin and Continental are in the running for as good or better than Goodyear OEM AT tires, IMO. Run away as fast as you can from Pirelli.

Off-road, I am still very pleased with my first set of Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

Enjoy !
Ridge Grapplers are also an "RT" class tire, like the Coopers I mentioned above, and are great tires off-road. In my experience you will definitely give up some NVH refinement compared to the Goodyears. I probably am more sensitive to it because I swap back and forth between the RTs and the OEMs so I keep my "ear tuned" to what the OEMs sound like, and never get used to the added noise of the more aggressive tires. But it's not like it sounds like the 37" Super Swampers on my Wrangler. There is no loud roar that makes bystanders search the skies to see where the C141 is that's obviously about to land in the highway. It's just "relatively" noisy compared to the OEMs. That matters to me on the Defender, which is such a well-mannered and refined road vehicle. Truth be told, if I couldn't have two sets of tires, I think I'd stick with the Goodyears because I prefer them on-road that much.

Then I'd just buy another set of wheels and off-road tires. Oh, ****, I said I couldn't do that in this theoretical. Okay, so I'd buy an older Jeep and do my off-roading in it.

Old 10-25-2022, 01:01 PM
Mudding
Received 75 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the RidgeGrapplers and my ONLY complaint is that their added weight has ready reduced my on-road drivability and my mileage definitely took a hit for the worse.

other than that, they look great and they ride great. I also know that I will be well equipped for any rain, snow, ice, or even a fun off-roasting adventure!

Old 10-29-2022, 09:54 PM
Mudding
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Anyone try the good old tried and true Michelin LTX M/S tires? Not the “Defenders“ ironically…

I put this tire on both my 100 and 200 series Landcruisers and they were great on and off road.

I’m close to needing to replace the stock Duratracs soon and was thinking of giving the ‘ol LTX M/Ss a try…

thoughts?