2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black out bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 06:45 PM
Mudding
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Came out really well for a rattle can job, I played with plastidip on my old set of wheels and the gloss finish didn't come out anywhere near as nicely as yours has. Might have been user error, or maybe the product has improved in the last few years, but it definitely looked a bit uneven. I'm thinking the gloss shows up the imperfections more. I was debating buying a proper spray gun and doing it myself on the defender as I have to remove the rear bumper to do the tow loops anyway, but the shop I found came in at a pretty reasonable cost so I'm just going to get them to do it. A good chunk of their labor cost is removing the bumpers, so if you offer to do that for them and just bring in the bumpers the cost goes down. I also don't really trust shops taking trim off, you always end up with missing/broken clips/screws and things as they are in a rush. You'll probably break some yourself too, but at least you know what broke and can get replacements.

Old 01-12-2022, 03:54 PM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mshotel
I rhino lined mine… only problem is i like it so much I am now rhino lining all the grey trim.

Necroing this thread, but I think this is what I'm going to do too. Or maybe a diy version like powerfuluk did. I think it looks dope af, much better than the silver which looks a touch out of place. I have to take the rear bumper cover off to install the tow loops and the front off to install the front undershield anyways

The following 2 users liked this post by Mcdooogs:
GrouseK9 (01-12-2022), Rover57 (01-13-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 04:05 PM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts

im in the process of getting quotes to paint. those side fog light covers will be a pain with rock chips. the center bumper i can PPF.

now the big question is gloss black or satin or matte. i have extended fenders unpainted raw plastic. if i go gloss i would want to paint everything else and also deal with ppf on the front fenders. prob not worth it and just go matte or satin

Originally Posted by Mcdooogs
Necroing this thread, but I think this is what I'm going to do too. Or maybe a diy version like powerfuluk did. I think it looks dope af, much better than the silver which looks a touch out of place. I have to take the rear bumper cover off to install the tow loops and the front off to install the front undershield anyways

Old 01-12-2022, 04:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

@Mcdooogs - Yep. I thought the same. Now I'm wondering if I should go thru the PITA to remove the bullbar before doing it.

Old 02-23-2022, 05:21 PM
Mudding
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks to all for posting this. I was going over my order with the dealer today and mentioned that I wanted the recovery eyes. Sure, no problem you just need to add the $1200 Bright Package, plus $250 for the eyes themselves. Er, no thanks, I will do it my self.

I did order a receiver hitch, so why not just use a D ring recovery eye there? Seems less likely to damage the bumper cover should you actually need to yank the truck out of a hole.

The following users liked this post:
ybsheen (03-08-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 05:32 PM
Mudding
Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm going reverse.. I want to get the gray bumpers and currently have the glossy black. Anyone in NorCal want to trade?

Old 02-23-2022, 05:36 PM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Drednot
Thanks to all for posting this. I was going over my order with the dealer today and mentioned that I wanted the recovery eyes. Sure, no problem you just need to add the $1200 Bright Package, plus $250 for the eyes themselves. Er, no thanks, I will do it my self.

I did order a receiver hitch, so why not just use a D ring recovery eye there? Seems less likely to damage the bumper cover should you actually need to yank the truck out of a hole.
the parts themselves are about $200 and the install is pretty simple.
Is a video that details taking the bumper off. I did the whole job in about an hour, and i had a seized up screw to deal with

Old 02-23-2022, 10:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

@Drednot - I dont have a personal opinion re: them, but I have read several who are concerned that the receiver route isn't as "strong". The towing rating of the pins to hold the tow receiver and in some cases the receiver itself is not rated as high as some of the towing situations you will be in. They like the recovery rings because the strength rating (especially when divided amongst both of them) is substantially higher. However I don't have real world experience in one failing and it likely has it's use in low mass pulls. However, as @Mcdooogs mentions, it's not too tough to just add the "official" rings yourself. I went that route and am very pleased.

The following 2 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
dogwind (03-08-2022), Drednot (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 07:48 PM
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I just ordered a p300 and was bummed there was no way to get the blacked out bumper and lower trim in gloss black without going with the x dynamic. The dealer quoted me $2,400 to paint the bumpers and lower trim in gloss black. They had one on the showroom that they had painted and you would be hard pressed to notice the difference between the painted and original factory ones. I think that’s the route I’m going.

Old 02-25-2022, 07:25 AM
Winching
Received 592 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by TrooperDefender
I just ordered a p300 and was bummed there was no way to get the blacked out bumper and lower trim in gloss black without going with the x dynamic. The dealer quoted me $2,400 to paint the bumpers and lower trim in gloss black. They had one on the showroom that they had painted and you would be hard pressed to notice the difference between the painted and original factory ones. I think that’s the route I’m going.
I would think if you went to a quality body shop they could paint the trim / bumpers for much less than a dealer is suggesting. That's the route I'm going to take when my truck arrives...

Matt

Quick Reply: Black out bumpers