2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black out bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2022 | 07:30 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by MattF
I would think if you went to a quality body shop they could paint the trim / bumpers for much less than a dealer is suggesting. That's the route I'm going to take when my truck arrives...

Matt
They can but the difference is that the Narvik black gloss on the X-Dynamic is smooth and the matte finish that you would be painting is textured. The look, upkeep, and wear would be different.

The easier option would be to just order replacement gloss panels. They aren't really that outrageous.

Old 02-25-2022 | 07:34 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
They can but the difference is that the Narvik black gloss on the X-Dynamic is smooth and the matte finish that you would be painting is textured. The look, upkeep, and wear would be different.

The easier option would be to just order replacement gloss panels. They aren't really that outrageous.
Hadn't thought of that! Will look into sourcing those parts. Thank you!

Matt

The following users liked this post:
_Allegedly (02-25-2022)
Old 02-25-2022 | 08:03 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by MattF
Hadn't thought of that! Will look into sourcing those parts. Thank you!

Matt
This might help.

https://www.powerfuluk.com/vehicles/...110-model.html

Old 02-25-2022 | 08:28 AM
5th Gear

Thanks for all the responses. The replacement panels might be the best option but then that leaves the bumpers needing paint. The dealer had a P300 with the gloss black panels. I was pleasantly surprised how good it looked. They said they did it frequently with good results. Guess I’ll make that call when I see it person. Hopefully sometime this year 😂

Old 02-25-2022 | 08:48 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by TrooperDefender
Thanks for all the responses. The replacement panels might be the best option but then that leaves the bumpers needing paint. The dealer had a P300 with the gloss black panels. I was pleasantly surprised how good it looked. They said they did it frequently with good results. Guess I’ll make that call when I see it person. Hopefully sometime this year 😂
I bought some of the smaller mud flaps to go on my X-Dynamic and I've had a hell of a time finding a paint shop willing to spray them to match the Narvik gloss.

You mind telling me the name of your dealer so I can possibly ship my flaps out so the can paint them?

Old 02-25-2022 | 09:27 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by TrooperDefender
I just ordered a p300 and was bummed there was no way to get the blacked out bumper and lower trim in gloss black without going with the x dynamic. The dealer quoted me $2,400 to paint the bumpers and lower trim in gloss black. They had one on the showroom that they had painted and you would be hard pressed to notice the difference between the painted and original factory ones. I think that’s the route I’m going.

I was quoted $700 to paint the front and rear bumpers from a LR dealer in central Florida

Old 03-06-2022 | 06:58 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
I bought some of the smaller mud flaps to go on my X-Dynamic and I've had a hell of a time finding a paint shop willing to spray them to match the Narvik gloss.

You mind telling me the name of your dealer so I can possibly ship my flaps out so the can paint them?
Its a flexible plastic mud flap - why would you try and paint them gloss black? This will crack and peel off the minute they flex. Take a look at other builds - they are not meant to match the finish of the gloss black. It's a raw rubber finish.

As for painting the lower panels and arches gloss black - I dont think it can be done without risk of cracking/peeling - I have been asking this for the last year and finally got my dealership to sell me the gloss black lower panels and wheel arches, to replace my matte plastic (SE spec) ones. $650 for front and rear bumpers (each) to spray gloss black. They will then need PPF to prevent chipping - so overall its an expensive process.

Old 03-06-2022 | 04:04 PM
Mudding

It’s not an easy process to get the bumpers properly painted. Mine are getting painted Narvik Black right now and my body shop guy sent me these pics. Also included is the lower body armor piece below the front bumper. I decided to paint that gloss black as well.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (03-06-2022)
Old 03-08-2022 | 06:38 AM
Mudding

Looks great! Send pics when it's all been put back together.

Old 03-08-2022 | 07:25 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by therift72
Its a flexible plastic mud flap - why would you try and paint them gloss black? This will crack and peel off the minute they flex. Take a look at other builds - they are not meant to match the finish of the gloss black. It's a raw rubber finish.

​​​Small flaps are neither raw rubber nor are they flexible. They're thermoplastic olefin (TPO) and they can indeed be painted without cracking or peeling.

As to the "why?" well, next to the gloss, they look like they came from AliExpress.

Stop trying to red arrow up there. It's not real. Nothing is.

Quick Reply: Black out bumpers