Sponsored by:

Blower motor stopped working - no heat

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 10:00 AM
tre
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blower motor stopped working - no heat

We love our 2024 Defender but we've had a few quirks. The latest is the blower motor. It is snowing and 30 degrees today and we have no heat. When I turn the blower motor all the way up, I get nothing. I drove the car for about 30 min last night and never got any heat to come out. Windows started fogging up, etc. Any ideas (other than visit the dealer). If I have to visit the dealer, I will. I was hoping I could do something simple to fix it. If it helps, I have a 110 with the P400 engine.

Last edited by tre; 01-12-2024 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-12-2024, 10:13 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

You may try a reset of the Pivi Pro system by holding down the power button down for about 20 sec. This fixed a climate issue I was having with rear controls. Hopefully it is a software issue and not a mechanical one! Stay warm out there!

Old 01-12-2024, 10:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 402 Likes on 202 Posts

I hope it is software for you. There is another item that has caused me issues in the past, on my Range Rover. There is a resistor in the system, with a big honking heat sink on it. It is for the motor speed control. Luckily it was common to many European cars and a known failure point. It was, thankfully, not too terribly hard to get to and not too expensive either off eBay.

Look here for the service manual pages describing where it is located:
Defender worksop manuals

Old 01-23-2024, 05:14 PM
tre
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick update - In the cold midwest, the car was undrivable without any heat (dead blower motor). The windows would fog up in about 3 minutes. Wipe them, and they fog again 30 seconds later. We drove to the dealer in in below freezing temps with the windows open. The dealer confirmed the blower motor is bad and ordered a new one. It took 5 days for the blower motor to show up but it showed up without the required resistor. Apparently this resistor is special and not a run of the mill resistor. My car has been at the dealer for a week now and the dealer cannot locate a resistor for the blower motor. JLR is working to help locate a resistor and has apparently put a high priority on this. The dealer did not have any loaner cars so my wife and I have been without one car for a week which has been a colossal headache. Yes, this is the same dealer where I purchased my 2024 Defender and they don't have any loaner cars available. Driving to work, multiple kids in multiple sports at the same time, etc, etc. It has been nearly impossible with only one car. So far, my first experience with Land Rover has not been a good one.

Old 01-24-2024, 10:32 AM
Mudding
Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

First experiences with land rover ownership are quite often an eye opener. Look how much extra family together time you have been able to have. Memories that will last a lifetime..... Its an adventure so enjoy the ride. bla bla bla. We all feel your pain and I pass you a virtual beer, bourbon, or refreshment of your choice. Cheers and Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by SilverSFR; 01-24-2024 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:38 AM
Mudding
Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by tre
Quick update - In the cold midwest, the car was undrivable without any heat (dead blower motor). The windows would fog up in about 3 minutes. Wipe them, and they fog again 30 seconds later. We drove to the dealer in in below freezing temps with the windows open. The dealer confirmed the blower motor is bad and ordered a new one. It took 5 days for the blower motor to show up but it showed up without the required resistor. Apparently this resistor is special and not a run of the mill resistor. My car has been at the dealer for a week now and the dealer cannot locate a resistor for the blower motor. JLR is working to help locate a resistor and has apparently put a high priority on this. The dealer did not have any loaner cars so my wife and I have been without one car for a week which has been a colossal headache. Yes, this is the same dealer where I purchased my 2024 Defender and they don't have any loaner cars available. Driving to work, multiple kids in multiple sports at the same time, etc, etc. It has been nearly impossible with only one car. So far, my first experience with Land Rover has not been a good one.
sorry you're dealing with this, fyi, i went through a similar loaner car experience a while back with a dealership (not JLR), and i was able to convince them to cover most of the cost of a rental car for me when they couldn't source a part. it's worth asking. and honestly given your situation, probably worth it to go out of pocket, then let the sales, service, and general manager know how much it cost you. my guess is they'll offer you some type of compensation, even if in the form of discounted service or parts in the future. anyway, hope it gets resolved fast. oh, and also worth checking with your car insurance provider. i always make sure my policies include rental car reimbursement.

Old 01-25-2024, 08:26 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tre
I'm sorry to hear about those headaches. I would definitely escalate to the service manager / director and have them put you in a rental car. I just had my Defender dropped off for a few days at the local dealer for service and they didn't have any loaners available. They called Enterprise and had them drop off a Dodge Durango for me to use while my car was in the shop. Granted it's not a JLR product, but better than being without a car.

Old 01-25-2024, 01:47 PM
Mudding
Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I agree, they should work hard to get you a loaner. I’ve had one for weeks because I’ve had to drop off my vehicles at different times, like for example when the visor light went out and it took 2 weeks to get a replacement. It must be a dealer thing.