Three Wheeling
Received 78 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Budget build for Colorado mountains

What's your opinion on a base (4cyl) 110 with the following options:
  • Off-Road Pack$1,550.00
  • Advanced Off-Road Capability Pack$750.00
  • Cold Climate Pack$700.00
  • Air Suspension Pack$1,600.00
We're in the Colorado mountains and have a Jeep that we use for more serious passes. We're looking for something that'd eat up highway miles if needed but also be able to hit the trails.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,254 Likes on 746 Posts

I seem to recall that a lot of the automotive publications that I read when I did my research highly recommended going with the SE and building up from there. Not sure what you are considering a base (S or SE), but you may want to start there. Only other thing I'd consider is the tow package. Mainly because it's such a PITA to add afterwards and it will keep the investment when you resell. It also opens options to tow or haul gear on the receiver.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:46 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 78 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
I seem to recall that a lot of the automotive publications that I read when I did my research highly recommended going with the SE and building up from there. Not sure what you are considering a base (S or SE), but you may want to start there. Only other thing I'd consider is the tow package. Mainly because it's such a PITA to add afterwards and it will keep the investment when you resell. It also opens options to tow or haul gear on the receiver.
I'm referring to the base Defender. I think it's just a Defender, not an "S" or "SE". It has the 4cyl engine and the steelies.

I do need to add the towing package. I had just assumed a Defender would come with a hitch.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:56 AM
Mudding
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

As long as you are OK with fabric seats, this seems like a very reasonable build for the use case. Add the towing package which includes Advanced Off-Road Capability if you want the hitch.

Old 01-13-2022, 11:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

I agree with Bjs1234 and GrouseK9's advices.

I would only suggest that you misnamed your thread. Yours is NOT a budget build, but one quite well-endowed in the capability arena. With what you have specified and a good set of tires suited for the season, I suspect you will find yourself in your Defender more and more, as your gain experience with it over time.

Old 01-13-2022, 11:51 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I live part time in Sun Valley ID. I ordered mine specifically to leave in my house there mostly for skiing and fly fishing. I got the:
-4cy (I didn't want to have the hybrid system in the cold weather and on a car that sits for long periods of time
-4 door as it is easier to shuttle people and so I can fit fly rods inside. As well as space for my dogs in the trunk
-off road suspension
-air suspension, I am also adding a winch
-cold weather package
-Basic interior protection pack
-tow hitch
-roof rails for ski rack
-fog lights
Black color, 20"wheels and Sunroof-these were probably a mistake to order but I couldn't help myself
I also ordered the "new style" mud flaps and rear bumper tow hooks from lucky8

Last edited by Bigwood; 01-13-2022 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 631 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by foggy
What's your opinion on a base (4cyl) 110 with the following options:
  • Off-Road Pack$1,550.00
  • Advanced Off-Road Capability Pack$750.00
  • Cold Climate Pack$700.00
  • Air Suspension Pack$1,600.00
We're in the Colorado mountains and have a Jeep that we use for more serious passes. We're looking for something that'd eat up highway miles if needed but also be able to hit the trails.
I would say definitely yes to 4cyl, off road pack and Cold climate. I would say the advanced off road pack is nominal if any real benefit, but cool tech. And also optional is air suspension (i know i will get grief for this. Has been discused in detail in other post. Again this is my opinion based on real 1st hand experience with my d90 on coils). Air has a lot of benefits, but i dont believe it is any massive benefit off road especially because your post says budget. I would also say get a 90 vs the 110 because it was less money and a better wheelbase for off road, but it looks like the base 90 is more money than the 110 now ......

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 12:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 109 Posts

If you’re mainly eating up highway miles, I would not remove air suspension from your build. The ride quality with air is exceptional, and even better with tire pressures set to the light load pressure.

Old 01-13-2022, 12:25 PM
Mudding
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

I haven't had the opportunity to compare my 110 to a 90. Since the OP mentioned highway driving, is there a big benefit from the longer wheelbase and air suspension?

Old 01-13-2022, 12:57 PM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

What you're thinking is almost my build exactly, and I live in CO.

I think it is perfect. But as someone else mentioned, I started with an S package and went from there. I did not get the tow pack, only the hitch. I also sized down to 18in rims instead of the 19s included in the S package.

I did a lot of trail riding this summer and I love the ability to get off the trail and then make the 2hr ride back home in comfort, I couldn't ask for more. Feel free to PM me if you have CO specific questions or where I've taken my Defender in the year I've had it.

Quick Reply: Budget build for Colorado mountains