Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget build for Colorado mountains

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 01:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick4
I did not get the tow pack, only the hitch.
If you want Advanced Off Road Pack, though, (which the OP does) isn't it cheaper to get Tow Pack (which includes AORP) than to separately buy Hitch and AORP? Seems like to me that was the case when I ordered a 22 back in March.

Old 01-13-2022, 01:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

I called mine a budget build too initially but then went up to an S trim. If I recall at that time there was no rear seat armrest option on the base, that gets added with S trim. I'm not sure you even get lumbar support upfront on the base seats. So I personally went to a 90 S trim and the p300 is great, no regrets as far as that goes. On the other hand if you're in the mountains I'd definitely want to at least do a good test drive or two of a p300 110 in those conditions. That might make me think twice about the p300, with the higher elevation and more uphill climbing you may lose enough on the p300 to have to reconsider. Your call on that. The 10k bump if you go to the six is rough, might have to chop off some things terrain response 2 etc. Everybody has their own opinions and use cases so I can't say what's best for you. Great vehicle though, you'll love it.

Old 01-13-2022, 02:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 78 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks to all. The reason I mention the highway miles is mainly for vacations and if I'm on the road for a couple hours getting to trails. We love the Jeep, but it's tiring at speed for a couple hours.

We're at 9,500 ft elevation, so I do have concerns about that with the 4cyl. But turbos normally fair better at elevation.

Old 01-13-2022, 02:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 631 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by foggy
Thanks to all. The reason I mention the highway miles is mainly for vacations and if I'm on the road for a couple hours getting to trails. We love the Jeep, but it's tiring at speed for a couple hours.

We're at 9,500 ft elevation, so I do have concerns about that with the 4cyl. But turbos normally fair better at elevation.
i towed a 19ft airstream thru the rockies on my way to moab all the way from virginia and back with my 90 4cyl on 35 inch tires. It has plenty of power

The following users liked this post:
Defendit.. (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 03:57 PM
Mudding
Received 167 Likes on 98 Posts

When I lived in CO in the 1980s and 1990s I drove an 85hp 4x4 Toyota truck with no issues at altitude at all. I think the 300hp "base" engine will do fine unless you expect to be doing 80mph with 5 people up to the Eisenhower Tunnel or over Rabbit Ears Pass.

What you are proposing is very close to what I ordered and I am very happy with it - 110 base with 18" steelies, air suspension, off-road pack, tow pack, cold climate pack. I passed on the advanced off-road pack because the tow pack gives most of the same functionality. One thing I would recommend is the lighting upgrade - I feel like the extra $300 or so is a welcome upgrade for the better headlights and fog lamps. I'm really happy with the base seats - I wanted fabric rather than leather which is why I stuck with the base model. The lumbar support is fine for me and I have put some longish trips on them - and I'm someone who had back surgery years ago, so I'm somewhat sensitive to that.

Another relatively low cost option to consider is the clear view rear view mirror which is great because you have good rear vision even with passengers or a dirty rear windscreen. I didn't realize that I had never used the rear wiper and washer until months after I got the vehicle - and the rear glass was completely covered in salt spray.

I added the ladder, expedition roof rack, snorkel, extended wheel arches, and front under shield because I'm a big kid at heart and those added up

Old 01-13-2022, 09:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,299 Likes on 949 Posts

Tow pack includes Advanced Offroad pack, Hitch and Advanced tow assist.

This was ~$650 more expensive than getting Advanced Offroad Pack + Hitch only.

Essentially and extra ~$650 for the Advanced tow assist software.

I went with the former option. Not used the tow assist yet but I look forward to geeking out with it when the time comes. I'll probably drive in reverse the whole way with my trailer just to get my money's worth.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:04 PM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

I’d also add the rear locker. Only because you never know if you need until you do!

Old 01-13-2022, 10:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,299 Likes on 949 Posts

Originally Posted by markjlr
I’d also add the rear locker. Only because you never know if you need until you do!
That appears to already be in the OP's build. (Off road pack= rear locker + Wrangler Adventure tires and rear 110V outlet)

Old 01-14-2022, 08:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

I have the Tow Pack and STILL haven't figured out how it works...Of course I don't tow much with it (maybe 3x), so I probably need to watch a video or something. Anyone have a good link?

Old 01-14-2022, 09:17 AM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by DoctorofRocks
...and the rear glass was completely covered in salt spray.
The exact state of my rear window, lol. The clearview camera is the best thing ever.

And as far as power, Couldn't agree more, 300hp is more than enough and just about the only time I wish I had a bit more is attempting to pass at 70-75 while heading up towards the tunnel. Really that is it, I haven't done any rock crawling but I have tackled some pretty tough climbs off-road and thanks to the gearing, have never felt under powered.

Quick Reply: Budget build for Colorado mountains