Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumper re-paint and PPF

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 07:51 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by therift72
Yeah its a killer combo! Not super common to see so I like how unique the color is. The matte plastic trim has bothered me since day one so I'm happy its getting upgraded.

The matte plastic is actually being replaced with the OEM LR gloss black panels through my dealer. My dealer said it is possible to paint the panels but they didn't stipulate how this would be achieved - I went through many people to find out how but the hoops to jump through made it easier to just purchase the new panels, despite the cost (peace of mind and all that). Weirdly, the gloss black front and rear bumpers are not available to purchase so these had to be painted by the dealer.
I would also go with this killer combo if mine is Carpathain Grey. Same here, the textured plastic trims and corners have been bothering me as well and I would like to paint them in either body color, Santorini black or Narvik gloss black. Would you be able to send info of all the new side panels and front/rear corners please? This will save all the painting work with simple installation.

Old 03-28-2022, 08:10 AM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

I'll send you the part numbers I purchased from JLR - its not cheap but it covers everything. Powerful only sells the lower panels in gloss black when in fact there is also the wheel arches, front and rear quarter panels and the small panels under the taillights.

Old 03-28-2022, 10:16 AM
7th Gear

I'll send you the part numbers I purchased from JLR - its not cheap but it covers everything. Powerful only sells the lower panels in gloss black when in fact there is also the wheel arches, front and rear quarter panels and the small panels under the taillights.
I understand that there are more parts than just lower panels so it will be super helpful to be able to get all part numbers. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-28-2022, 10:20 AM
Mudding
Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

That Suntek PPF looks super glossy! How is it holding up?
I had Suntek PPF on my previous vehicle which was a Tesla model S.. I'm sold for life. On multiple occasions I had some really bad scratches only to see them vanish in front of my eyes. On one occasion my car was parked outside of a hotel in the wilderness and a bear attempted to get in the trunk, leaving a whole lot of nasty scratches. After the next day being in the warm sun, it was all gone.
The Defender got a new iteration of this PPF, called SunTek Reaction PPF. It has the usual PPF, but also an integrated ceramic coating. Two birds, one stone. Water and everything else just glides off, amazing stuff!

Old 03-28-2022, 10:23 AM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

See if this helps. The comments in red are to my dealer as I think we need to order 286C17 not the reflectors.

The following users liked this post:
73matt (06-16-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 01:30 AM
7th Gear

This is very helpful and much appreciated! Based on the callouts, would you have the part numbers which you ordered please? Did you order directly from JLR?

Old 03-29-2022, 06:26 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

The top right corner of this trim piece is pulling away about 1/4" on my 110.

Anyone know from experience of it's tape or clips in that spot?

Old 03-29-2022, 06:45 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

If you're lucky, it's one of the sacrificial clips. If not, it may be the trim which would be worse. I don't think you have any sliders, so no idea why it would be loose unless it wasn't put on properly.

Here's a pic of the guts of it from Lucky8's slider install instructions (go to page 3) Link. You might find a video re: it, but I haven't looked at any. The top clips are novel to me. Perhaps one of those. They have broken easily when I removed my wheel trim to put the extended arches in. The bottom ones are more common. PowerfulUk sells them and I vaguely remember a thread re: them. Now that I removed my wheel arches, I have a LARGE inventory. PM me and I'll send you a few if that's what's broken. If it's the upper ones: 'yer on 'yer own.

Old 04-06-2022, 08:52 PM
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered a P400 in Carpathian grey in january with an august delivery date but two weeks ago the dealer had a cancellation on a black P300 with the non-extended black pack. Of course I took it and kept my order for the P400 running. But I was not completely happy with black Defender letters on the black hood and the light grey bumpers.

So I too had the bumpers, lettering and the middle transfersal bar painted. I chose something a little darker than the company color Shadow Atlas grey. I’m very pleased with the result, to me it feels this richer color brings the design together while the light grey felt out of place on such a nice car.

The following 2 users liked this post by Frank22:
jfreez (08-19-2022), The Fulcrum (08-13-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 07:41 AM
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered a P400 in carapathian grey back in january with a arrival date of august but two weeks ago my dealer had a cancellation with this black P300 that came with the non-extended black back. Love this car so far. But like AgentMir I was not a fan of the black Defender letters on the black hood and even less of the light grey bumpers.

So I had the lettering, the bumpers and the middle transversal grill bar painted by my local paint shop. I like the Shadow Atlas color but I wanted something a little darker. So after looking at hundreds of 1x2 inches of color samples (anguishing process) I choose this color. And I love it. I feel it really brings the design together more than the standard light color.

Quick Reply: Bumper re-paint and PPF