2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Used Defender - Tips, Tricks, Advice and Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2023, 09:23 PM
7th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face Buying Used Defender - Tips, Tricks, Advice and Suggestions?

Hey friends!
If you were buying a used Land Rover Defender (2020+) what do you have for advice, suggestions, etc.
What would you do? What would you look for? What is a must have or avoid at all costs.

Like "Don't buy that engine, there is something something something" "Avoid the 2020's because blah blah blah" or similar.
Currently have an LR3 and I love it and it's probably one of the most dependable LR's (my opinion) and going to a Defender is slightly exhilarating and petrifying.

The following users liked this post:
ColonelBlood (10-10-2023)
Old 09-30-2023, 06:59 PM
Mudding
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

All of these questions are personal really.

i would find the vin # and call a couple dealers and find out the service history. See if the recalls and regular fixes like headlights, a pillar, etc have been done.

but for me a P400 with a fridge was important : )

Old 09-30-2023, 07:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 109 Posts

I have a P400 110, and I'd definitely get the P400 again.

The features/options on mine that I'm glad I have are:

• Air suspension (others like coils, I'd get air again every time. Ride quality is fantastic, and you have maximum flexibility if you need to raise or lower)
  • Cold Climate Pack (heated wheel, windshield, washer jets and headlight power wash)
  • Advanced Off-Road Capability Pack
  • Off-Road Pack
  • Comfort and Convenience Pack (ambient lights really make the interior plus the refrigerator is something we use a lot)
  • Clearsight rear view mirror (this divides opinion, I love it)
  • Adaptive Cruise
  • Three-zone Climate
  • Head-up Display (I will always get HUD when available)
  • 14-way Heated & Cooled Memory Front Seats
  • Tow Package (adding aftermarket tow hitch is expensive)
  • factory front undershield (adding aftermarket is expensive)

Options I wish I had are the larger screen, mine has the standard 10" screen plus I only have the 400W Meridian and I wish I'd gone for the upgraded audio.

Those two apart, I'd spec mine the same again.

Old 09-30-2023, 07:54 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by swajames
I have a P400 110, and I'd definitely get the P400 again.

The features/options on mine that I'm glad I have are:
  • Air suspension (others like coils, I'd get air again every time. Ride quality is fantastic, and you have maximum flexibility if you need to raise or lower)
  • Cold Climate Pack (heated wheel, windshield, washer jets and headlight power wash)
  • Advanced Off-Road Capability Pack
  • Off-Road Pack
  • Comfort and Convenience Pack (ambient lights really make the interior plus the refrigerator is something we use a lot)
  • Clearsight rear view mirror (this divides opinion, I love it)
  • Adaptive Cruise
  • Three-zone Climate
  • Head-up Display (I will always get HUD when available)
  • 14-way Heated & Cooled Memory Front Seats
  • Tow Package (adding aftermarket tow hitch is expensive)
  • factory front undershield (adding aftermarket is expensive)

Options I wish I had are the larger screen, mine has the standard 10" screen plus I only have the 400W Meridian and I wish I'd gone for the upgraded audio.

Those two apart, I'd spec mine the same again.

This is super helpful! My two "Must Haves" are the Air Suspension and the Cold Climate Package. Since I am trying to get it a bit on the more affordable side I am not sure I can be super picky on most of the things. I REALLY want the HUD but I think those tend to be on the higher spec'd ones. I have the fridge in my LR3 right now and do use it! But not enough for it to be a deal breaker.
I am not sure if I should 'hold out' for a the 6 Cylinder or if the 4 would be fine?

swajames (09-30-2023)
Old 09-30-2023, 10:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by LittleBitLR
This is super helpful! My two "Must Haves" are the Air Suspension and the Cold Climate Package. Since I am trying to get it a bit on the more affordable side I am not sure I can be super picky on most of the things. I REALLY want the HUD but I think those tend to be on the higher spec'd ones. I have the fridge in my LR3 right now and do use it! But not enough for it to be a deal breaker.
I am not sure if I should 'hold out' for a the 6 Cylinder or if the 4 would be fine?
I was lucky with mine as it's a 2021 and it was built before all the pandemic supply chain issues really took hold and you didn't need to get the upper level trims to get the options you wanted. Hopefully you can find one with the things you want.

As to the P400 or P300, I haven't had enough time in the P300 to really be of much help with that question, but I will say pretty much everyone who has a P400 seems to love it and pretty much everyone who has a P300 also seems to love theirs. I think the only way to tell for you for sure is to drive both.

Good luck and keep us posted!

spritekk (10-03-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 10:39 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 84 Likes on 36 Posts

Feeling like I finally have a perspective to contribute now that I have 1000 miles on my 110S P300.

Mine is pretty basic:
  • Cloth seats
  • Air suspension
  • All the towing options
  • All the off-road options
  • Cold weather pack
I drove the P400 and was not impressed. I am impressed with the P300. Plenty of power, including towing my car hauler.

I like the cloth seats. Plenty of comfort, heated, seems like, they will wear well.

I am routinely surprised by people who complain about the stock headlights. I live out in the boonies where it gets DARK. Even on low beam these are some excellent lights to light up the twisty 2 lane at 55-60 mph looking for suicidal deer.

I've always inclined toward fully optioned, fast vehicles. If I'm expecting a race I'll take something else out of my garage, but the Defender is my new daily favorite and quickly becoming one of my all-time favorites. It doesn't need a lot of bling to be amazing. ​​​

ficklma1 (10-01-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 01:11 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by swajames
As to the P400 or P300, I haven't had enough time in the P300 to really be of much help with that question, but I will say pretty much everyone who has a P400 seems to love it and pretty much everyone who has a P300 also seems to love theirs. I think the only way to tell for you for sure is to drive both.
Ohh this is helpful! I have driven the P400, unfortunately the local dealership only has those. So it makes me a bit nervous. I have a V8 right now and have a bit of a lead foot so I am thinking it will be so slow. I am going to keep an eye out on the market and see if I can find a P300 though and try and drive it. When I buy, I am probably going to look nationwide because of our dealership really only having the higher end ones and they are extremely expensive even if they are a bit more basic.

Old 10-01-2023, 02:13 PM
Mudding
Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

My P300 was delivered in August. The sales guy I used what the lead Defender guy and had sold a ton of P400s but hadn’t had any time in a P300. After driving it he said he loved it and wouldn’t hesitate to sell another one.
It has plenty of torque. Gets up to traffic speed easily, ease off the gas and get 26mpg, and can tow my boat with ease. Plus no complex hybrid system to wonder about as it rolls over 100k miles in the future.

I also specd coils instead of air. After 7 air ride vehicles and 7 sets of expensive air bags, I’ll happily pay for some shocks earlier in the maintenance program than walk out to a nose on the ground again. Sure it’s cool, but I don’t miss it at all.

I did go full leather and am glad I did, but the cloth is a decent option and looks good. I have a red lab and that thing leaves a trail of hair everywhere he goes. Leather is easier for the dog hair.

There are so many combos of features and so many ways to personalize the Defender. Whatever you pick will be awesome.

The following 2 users liked this post by chpsk8:
Husky44 (10-01-2023), JMF20 (10-01-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 05:18 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by chpsk8
My P300 was delivered in August. The sales guy I used what the lead Defender guy and had sold a ton of P400s but hadn’t had any time in a P300. After driving it he said he loved it and wouldn’t hesitate to sell another one.
It has plenty of torque. Gets up to traffic speed easily, ease off the gas and get 26mpg, and can tow my boat with ease. Plus no complex hybrid system to wonder about as it rolls over 100k miles in the future.

I also specd coils instead of air. After 7 air ride vehicles and 7 sets of expensive air bags, I’ll happily pay for some shocks earlier in the maintenance program than walk out to a nose on the ground again. Sure it’s cool, but I don’t miss it at all.
Super helpful! I cant wait to drive a P300.
Although Air Suspension is one of my *musts* 🤣
My LR3 is at 145k miles and the air supsneion is still original and I love them. ❤️
Agree on leather with 3 doggos.

Old 10-01-2023, 05:20 PM
7th Gear

Anyone have any strong opinions on 110 versus 90?
Performance? Non-space related opinions?

Quick Reply: Buying Used Defender - Tips, Tricks, Advice and Suggestions?