2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can clearsight rear mirror be retrofitted?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 07:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Can clearsight rear mirror be retrofitted?

I searched the forum for this and didn't seem to find any info, if this has been discussed already, please feel free to link me there. I think this is one of those things I dread about not ordering after reading reviews of people having issues looking at it when wearing glasses, looking back I think I should have. Coz, better have it and not need it than otherwise.

I watched Simons's video on installing dashcam and there seems to be some wiring up there that may be used by clearsight. So was wondering if anyone knows if the wiring is there even if you don't have clearsight ordered. If it does, one can potentially just swap the sharkfin & the rearview mirror to retrofit clearsight. Would be cool if it worked that way.

Coming to think of it, it actually makes sense for JLR to have the wiring in place.

Old 07-02-2021, 11:35 AM
Mudding
Received 108 Likes on 58 Posts

You need the camera and maybe the harness that runs from the camera to mirror but it's been done already. Check defender Facebook groups and search here.

Old 07-02-2021, 02:09 PM
Vin
Mudding
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

It’s worth the effort if it can be done! I’ll never go back!

Old 07-23-2021, 08:47 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearsight as a spare part?

Just a question, we had a defender on order but were told the 11.4 screen not available, and now we can’t have the clearsight camera as part of the order, LR can’t offer the clearsight option on current orders that have not been locked in for 2022 models…

has anyone in the forum seen a thread, or a video on anyone fitting a clear sight camera as a spare part… due to the extreme constrains in supply we are considering a defender built already with a 11.4 screen but no clear sight mirror, hoping powerfuluk or someone similar will work out if we can retrofit the unit when supplies return to normal…

I have looked all over but have yet to find any vids or threads, maybe still to early in the model cycle

Old 07-23-2021, 11:13 PM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

The 11.4” screen has more value than the clear sight mirror. Especially if the car you are looking at has 360 camera. I would go with what’s available and forget about the mirror. I’m sure the cost with be pretty steep.

I will say that my car has the clear sight mirror and I’m glad I have it but it is not a deal breaker. It’s value is only when you have a completely blocked view with the regular mirror.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:24 PM
Mudding
Received 108 Likes on 58 Posts

Yes it’s not too expensive and https://lr-retrofits.co.uk/ can do it. Rob Hall at Duckworth Land Rover in the UK can source hard to find parts. He has friends at JLR corporate that makes things happen.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mark1107:
ashfencing (03-20-2023), GrouseK9 (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 01:04 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just an update I asked my dealer when I was taking my car and they said, it can't be retrofitted ... oh well ... may be it can be and they just don't want to

Old 07-24-2021, 06:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 308 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMoke
The 11.4” screen has more value than the clear sight mirror. Especially if the car you are looking at has 360 camera. I would go with what’s available and forget about the mirror. I’m sure the cost with be pretty steep.

I will say that my car has the clear sight mirror and I’m glad I have it but it is not a deal breaker. It’s value is only when you have a completely blocked view with the regular mirror.
Meh, the surround cameras come in handy once in a while but the stock screen is fine.

The rearview is the one option I wish I could have in my Jeep. But hell I don't even have a backup camera in that.

Old 07-24-2021, 09:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

If I recall the glasses thing seems to be if you wear readers to look at PC monitors and what not (like I do) but have perfectly good vision at a distance so I don't wear readers while I drive otherwise I wouldn't see well at a distance, it's either or unless you wear bifocals I guess. So if that's you too (just readers) then you may not like the clearsight either. I had it as mandatory on my builds til I test drove with it and then quickly crossed that off my list. I see perfectly fine out of my rear view mirror in my 90 so unless I had the back seat packed with stuff I wouldn't have much use for it anyway IMO. When I back out I look out my side windows and the backup camera, visibility-wise it's better than my Q5. I agree though, better to have it than not, you can always leave it off if it isn't for you.

Last edited by Chief65; 07-24-2021 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-09-2021, 10:43 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trie to search but couldn't find anything. Mind linking the posts / threads that talk about it?

Quick Reply: Can clearsight rear mirror be retrofitted?