2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can clearsight rear mirror be retrofitted?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 07:20 AM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default We ordered it, paid for it but 'simply' didn't get it

We ordered our defender 90 (hybrid) October 2020, including the clear sight mirror for I really really wanted that.
The Landy finally arrived June 2021, but much to our surprise, came without the clear sight mirror! So without any warning or explanation. It was, either take the car and deal with it, or don't take it and wait till October 2022 (or so) if you insist on the mirror.
I was really upset about it, especially with lots of luggage. And I still am, to be honest.
I thought it might also help me parking, and honestly, I find the rear camera providing a deformed impression and hard to rely on the lines. That's very disappointing, as I was so looking forward to finally park without problems

Old 12-28-2021, 08:17 AM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Peppa
We ordered our defender 90 (hybrid) October 2020, including the clear sight mirror for I really really wanted that.
The Landy finally arrived June 2021, but much to our surprise, came without the clear sight mirror! So without any warning or explanation. It was, either take the car and deal with it, or don't take it and wait till October 2022 (or so) if you insist on the mirror.
I was really upset about it, especially with lots of luggage. And I still am, to be honest.
I thought it might also help me parking, and honestly, I find the rear camera providing a deformed impression and hard to rely on the lines. That's very disappointing, as I was so looking forward to finally park without problems
That's a real bummer considering if no refund and how long it took from order to delivery. Especially so considering your build timeframe was just when they had that short window where production ramped up before the parts shortage issue really kicked-in. I ordered in early March and car arrived end June.

I will say that, although useful when the car is full of luggage, I don't think it's an indispensable feature where parking is concerned or day-today driving. It's one of those features that I have only used a couple of times. The view back is very high up and so you would not see obstacles low down when reversing--the standard rear camera helps there. Of course, if reversing into say a garage I guess it would help. The ClearSight Camera is actually so high up that you only see the rooftop of the car following--unless the driver keeps a safe distance--which is never the case.

ClearSight was definitely worth the extra cost just to have on those rare occasions, but I do not see it worth the OEM cost to retrofit. I think the aftermarket mirror/camera products would be more cost effective.

The following 2 users liked this post by TheMoke:
Peppa (12-28-2021), WTFChuck (12-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 09:04 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Good point, @TheMoke . I've got a DashCam on order as well as a PowerfulUk adapter. Anyone have experience wiring the reverse cam into a mirror mount? I suspect that I could just stream it into an iphone mounted, but that seems like a PITA. If you have experience with your own DashCam rear camera as a "red neck engineered" ClearView (I say that endearingly as I am born/raised hillbilly), can someone post re: it or pics? Thanks.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:12 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

It's not a deal breaker. The clear view is positioned so high that it is almost useless to estimate the distance of the car behind you. If it was installed near the back up camera it would have been functional. So you didn't lose anything.

Old 01-20-2022, 10:08 AM
1st Gear
Default Clearsight stock

I have same problem, either wait even longer or just take it without. Really annoying they can provide option to dealer fit afterwards. It will have all the wiring, just need plugging in,.

The following users liked this post:
Peppa (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 10:30 AM
5th Gear
Default They told me they can't do it afterwards

Originally Posted by dylanfe
I have same problem, either wait even longer or just take it without. Really annoying they can provide option to dealer fit afterwards. It will have all the wiring, just need plugging in,.
My dealer said the micro chips are not placed, and that therefor it can't be fixed afterwards anymore, they would have to take out the 'whole unit' or something 🙄🙄 What also upsets me: we went to get the car and it was just left out, nobody consulted us out warned us. Dealer says he didn't even notice... Mind you, (I'm Dutch) here in the Netherlands we pay like a 110.000 euro for this version. I think one is entitled to expect some service here. Plus, another dealer said they hadn't had any problems with the clearsight mirror at all, not in 2021.

For us, it would also be with lots of luggage, or with both dogs in the back.

Old 01-20-2022, 12:32 PM
Pro Wrench

Dealer saying it can't be done afterwards for technical reasons is pure B.S. I have a friend who just bought a new (surprisingly expensive) fully loaded Chevrolet Tahoe. All the items that were not installed are going to be replaced when available. I agree that's sketchy, but at least Chevy is saying they are going to cure all the shortages. JLR is more "take it, or FU".

The following users liked this post:
Peppa (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 03:32 PM
Mudding
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Dealer saying it can't be done afterwards for technical reasons is pure B.S. I have a friend who just bought a new (surprisingly expensive) fully loaded Chevrolet Tahoe. All the items that were not installed are going to be replaced when available. I agree that's sketchy, but at least Chevy is saying they are going to cure all the shortages. JLR is more "take it, or FU".
I lost out on the clearsight mirror when my 2021 build was converted to a 2022 build and it became an option rather than standard. The dealer checked with LR on the viability of a retrofit and was told that the loom doesn't include the necessary wiring for the camera or mirror if it's not in the original build.

Old 01-20-2022, 03:46 PM
Pro Wrench

@Muppetry - I've been reading from others in other threads re: the ClearSite install after manufacture. It seems to me that the wiring harness / loom is the least of the issues. First off, would need to install a new "fin". The rear antennae needs replacing with a version with a camera. That is a HUGE pita because the roof liner needs to be removed to access it. At that point, running a non-standard loom / harness up front is cake. Then replacing the rear view mirror with the ClearView version. The PITA is that there is controller up there that is branded to your VIN AND has to go thru the JLR diagnostic tooling to do the unique imprint. This is NOT about wiring looms. It's about the fact that they don't want to do what would essentially be warranty work when JLR won't compensate them and they likely have enough retail service to keep busy anyway. Retail service = high profit service work from customers.

Note: Those planning this journey, have done this journey, or something like it - I get that there are 3rd parties that can do the controller programming. Either remote or through cash under tables. I'm trying to focus on why the Dealer would punt on the ask.

Old 01-20-2022, 10:10 PM
Mudding
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
@Muppetry - I've been reading from others in other threads re: the ClearSite install after manufacture. It seems to me that the wiring harness / loom is the least of the issues. First off, would need to install a new "fin". The rear antennae needs replacing with a version with a camera. That is a HUGE pita because the roof liner needs to be removed to access it. At that point, running a non-standard loom / harness up front is cake. Then replacing the rear view mirror with the ClearView version. The PITA is that there is controller up there that is branded to your VIN AND has to go thru the JLR diagnostic tooling to do the unique imprint. This is NOT about wiring looms. It's about the fact that they don't want to do what would essentially be warranty work when JLR won't compensate them and they likely have enough retail service to keep busy anyway. Retail service = high profit service work from customers.

Note: Those planning this journey, have done this journey, or something like it - I get that there are 3rd parties that can do the controller programming. Either remote or through cash under tables. I'm trying to focus on why the Dealer would punt on the ask.
I'd be interested to see what you have been reading, and why you think that the wiring loom is not a problem. There's much more to that wiring than simply dropping the roof liner and running a cable to the front.

Quick Reply: Can clearsight rear mirror be retrofitted?