Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cannot log into incontrol

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 10:03 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot log into incontrol

fighting this absolute train wreck of software used in my 2021 Defender. As someone who runs product/engineering for a software company, i can appreciate the complexity involved here. It’s also easy to spot Product Managers who have no real idea what they are doing.

anyway, core issue is i can’t get the OS updated. The version is blank, which i understand means it hasn’t done an OTA yet (it has, months ago. That was its own week’s long adventure). While that makes no real sense at all, i cannot find out how else to figure out what version i have. So many eyerolls

One clue might be InControl. When i click my profile icon in upper left, it says I’m not signed in, and i should do so. It refuses to sign me in. Sometimes after typing password (that works everywhere else) and click Sign in, it simply does nothing. No visible change. Sometimes it will go to ‘Verifying’ and then come back with Unable to connect. Sometimes it just goes straight to Unable to Connect. Never does it succeed.
HOWEVER, when i go into Settings Profiles, it shows my InControl profile is logged in (even has a nice little logout button which i dare not hit). So that makes no sense. Like Schrodingers Login - except i think in this case its for sure dead

Another mind boggling stupid decision (Design Bug) is the Connectivity screen. For some reason, all InControl nonsense MUST go over its own internal 4G cell modem. So you can have an internet connnected phone plugged in via USB (& Bluetooth) PLUS have WiFi on and connected, but if you turn off 4G it will say “Connectivity must be enabled” when you try to do anything. Connectivity IS enabled, friend. It know this because WiFi is in the Connectivity screen. If you mean that Mobile Data has to be enabled, then just say that. Better yet, use the #%@$#%@#$ internet connection you have available to you instead of demanding the worst possible one in all cases. Again… Design Bug. But also, weather loads fine but login is ‘unable to connect’.
(As an aside, when i connect WiFi, it suddenly shows two rows with my SSID. One is connected, one isn’t. Not confidence inspiring.)

Not even sure where to go from here. I’d love to have wireless CarPlay to break frequently due to crazy bugs than have wired CarPlay drop randomly due to stupid bugs. And maybe they are fixing things (i know, naive of me, but one can dream). My 2019 X5 started out like this, but within a year became rock solid, so i know it can be done.

I can only imagine the LR software engineers reading stuff like this on the forums and thinking back to all the dumb product decisions they knew were gonna be problematic. One thing you can be sure of, tho, is they are all still there, unaccountable.

One other fun fact is while doing all of this, it would occasionally just abruptly shut down. That was a nice extra bit of frustration.

Old 01-08-2022, 10:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,169 Likes on 627 Posts

So, this is not going to help BUT -- the in control website account creation / registration functionality has been down for a week (so -- for example, if you want to create a new in control account, or change your address). I talked to someone at LR Friday and they claimed they know and are on it... she said "security problems".

I suggested perhaps they PUT A NOTE IN THE APP AND ON THE SITE. duh.

Old 01-08-2022, 10:57 AM
6th Gear

wow.. on brand i guess. Being down a few hours is nearly unavoidable (99.9% vs 100% is a wiiiide gap). Down a day is a bad break. Down a week is just incompetence.

Old 01-08-2022, 11:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 109 Posts

To address one of your rants, wireless CarPlay has been flawless since it was installed in my car in November. It has never dropped once, it is fast and responsive, and it fires up instantly. Wireless CarPlay on my BMW on the other hand did drop out a lot. PiviPro has its issues, but they got the wireless CarPlay upgrade right.

Old 01-08-2022, 02:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,256 Likes on 747 Posts

@imfletcher - Agree 100% with your frustration about how poorly designed or developed all this is. I kind of try to give them some slack (though it's hard and I'm really just making this up) because they are an auto manufacturer not a software manufacturer. Then it starts to align with me what kind of development chops they must have. There's a Product Manager of PiviPro who's occasionally on here (Damien?). He seems very good, but I suspect that there are so many complexities with PiviPro that he's not the only accountable person AND he's on the biz side, not development - so there is that too.

I guess to wrap up this ramble, I totally agree with you in the frustration, amazement, and disappointment with how half baked most of this is.

OH, and one more thing: I suspect all the recent outages may be because they are trying to patch the recent log4j vulnerability. I've seen MANY companies just shut "stuff" down trying to get that patched/fixed.

Old 01-08-2022, 03:43 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by swajames
To address one of your rants, wireless CarPlay has been flawless since it was installed in my car in November. It has never dropped once, it is fast and responsive, and it fires up instantly. Wireless CarPlay on my BMW on the other hand did drop out a lot. PiviPro has its issues, but they got the wireless CarPlay upgrade right.
honestly that’s great to hear. Looks like similar positive feedback in the 3.0 threats. Just need to get there somehow.

Old 01-08-2022, 03:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by imfletcher
honestly that’s great to hear. Looks like similar positive feedback in the 3.0 threats. Just need to get there somehow.
It’s really very good. I never thought JLR would add it, I’d expected we were stuck with the flaky factory wired CarPlay, but this (for me at least) has been genuinely flawless. If you’re not getting updates over the air you’ll find posts in my post history with content from a JLR rep on the facebook group that talks about OTA updates. Hopefully you get yours soon - it’s a worthwhile upgrade.

Old 01-09-2022, 08:40 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,256 Likes on 747 Posts

@imfletcher - It's post #40 on this thread if it doesn't drop you there: https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...e4/#post799860

Old 01-11-2022, 07:55 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by nashvegas
So, this is not going to help BUT -- the in control website account creation / registration functionality has been down for a week (so -- for example, if you want to create a new in control account, or change your address). I talked to someone at LR Friday and they claimed they know and are on it... she said "security problems".

I suggested perhaps they PUT A NOTE IN THE APP AND ON THE SITE. duh.
I'm having the same issue and it's been the same since I picked the Defender up in November.

Old 01-12-2022, 12:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,169 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by TROPHY55
I'm having the same issue and it's been the same since I picked the Defender up in November.
Circling back on my issue. A JLR customer service rep called me back on Monday of this week (Jan 10) and they got my account all sorted. Whatever was broken, has been fixed (at least for my account + my vehicle - all is working now).

What I would suggest doing. Go in and create a new account with a new email address. It might get you moving faster.

Apparently there was some problem with people like me who had a Land Rover account previously (endlessly building Defenders on the site for the past year... and saving builds etc... as well as useless account for a pre-Pivi old L494 Sport)... Anyway, on the phone she walked me through removing that account, re-creating a new one -- and when we did it, it's now working great.

Quick Reply: Cannot log into incontrol