Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cargo area protection project

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 05:53 PM
Winching
Received 610 Likes on 290 Posts
Default Cargo area protection project

I had been brainstorming a way to protect the interior of the rear cargo area from scuffs, scratches, dings and gouges from daily loading of ‘toys’ such as beach chairs, coolers, fishing equipment, boogie boards or whatever you may throw back there. After a few years of this, the plastic trim gets a lot of wear making the vehicle look much older, and reducing the value at sale or trade-in, but especially for one’s own pride of ownership.
I came up with this one afternoon using bits and pieces in my workshop, and an inexpensive moving blanket from Amazon, but you can find these anywhere. The moving blanket was their cheapest at $15, which I chose to use as my test model. I may get a thicker, stronger one if I find this to work well going forward. I also wanted it to be quick to employ and deploy. It takes a minute or two to put in or remove. I used some shock cord I had lying around, S-hooks, which I covered with heat shrink tape to prevent scratches on the plastic trim, brass grommets I placed into the blanket at key points, and spring-loaded key rings to fasten the blanket around the grab handles at the rear doors. Total cost - approximately $20, using what I had lying around, but if you had to buy the grommets, S-hooks, heat shrink tubing and shock cord, it would drive the price up to $25+ dollars.

The following 4 users liked this post by WTFChuck:
GrouseK9 (06-12-2022), Parukas (06-12-2022), TrioLRowner (06-23-2022), user 729788 (06-11-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 07:55 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

No style points here but it makes up for it in utility. I do love a clean truck and it's an impressive use of $25 considering you can't get through a Chick-fil-A for less. What The F*ck Chuck -> Stretch A Buck Chuck?

There is an aftermarket option for the less crafty.

https://www.hatchbag.us/land-rover-d...0e-cargo-liner

I'll also give you that theirs uses a lot of Velcro stuck directly to plastic. I don't like that idea.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 06-12-2022 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:30 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
No style points here but it makes up for it in utility. I do love a clean truck and it's an impressive use of $25 considering you can't get through a Chick-fil-A for less. What The F*ck Chuck -> Stretch A Buck Chuck?

There is an aftermarket option for the less crafty.

https://www.hatchbag.us/land-rover-d...0e-cargo-liner

I'll also give you that theirs uses a lot of Velcro stuck directly to plastic. I don't like that idea.
Thanks, Allegedly. Yes, definitely utilitarian, but as long as it saves scuffs, I’m happy. Plus, I always do a prototype to test the waters. I may tweak it going forward, but I’ll only actually use it occasionally and the fact that I can throw it in the back, hook the loops over the anchor points and have peace of mind is comforting. I always had pause if I had to go to the hardware store for bags of mulch or plants, or get some bulky items that could wreak havoc on the interior. Now it’ll be a good feeling knowing it’s all safe, and I can throw the whole rig into the washer, fold it and stow it.

Old 06-22-2022, 02:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts

Anyone have a discount code for this website! Nice find!

Old 06-22-2022, 03:30 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
Thanks, Allegedly. Yes, definitely utilitarian, but as long as it saves scuffs, I’m happy. Plus, I always do a prototype to test the waters. I may tweak it going forward, but I’ll only actually use it occasionally and the fact that I can throw it in the back, hook the loops over the anchor points and have peace of mind is comforting. I always had pause if I had to go to the hardware store for bags of mulch or plants, or get some bulky items that could wreak havoc on the interior. Now it’ll be a good feeling knowing it’s all safe, and I can throw the whole rig into the washer, fold it and stow it.
I use the factory quilted trunk cover and I'm quite happy with it. It's pretty sturdy, covers the trunk well and super quick to take it in and out.

https://www.lrparts.net/vples0568-de...id-models.html

Old 06-22-2022, 10:14 PM
Winching

cardude: That is a nice look, and fit. However, I could not find anything aftermarket that would give protection to the entire cargo area, seats folded down. They all only cover the smaller area with the rear seats in use. And although my original motivation was just a whim for a future need, I will actually be moving in the near future and this will be more than adequate for filling the cargo area with storage bins and cardboard boxes and not having to worry about scuffs and scratches. And for under $25.

Old 06-23-2022, 07:18 AM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
cardude: That is a nice look, and fit. However, I could not find anything aftermarket that would give protection to the entire cargo area, seats folded down. They all only cover the smaller area with the rear seats in use. And although my original motivation was just a whim for a future need, I will actually be moving in the near future and this will be more than adequate for filling the cargo area with storage bins and cardboard boxes and not having to worry about scuffs and scratches. And for under $25.
Oh yeah, you're totally right. Big downside of the OEM cover is that doesn't really work with the folded seats and even if you buy it cheaper, it's still super expensive. Hard to beat your solution I have a separate cover for the 2nd row as well, and while that is also good in itself, it doesn't really work with folded seats and cannot be used to make it "overlap" with the cargo cover.

Last edited by cardude; 06-23-2022 at 07:18 AM. Reason: gramma'
The following users liked this post:
WTFChuck (06-23-2022)