Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cellular and WiFi connection issue since 3.2.1

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 02:12 PM
Mudding
Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Cellular and WiFi connection issue since 3.2.1

'22 110 X dynamic with latest 3.2.1 pivi software. iPhone 13 pro running latest iOS.
Since last update have noticed following behavior. I use wireless carplay which requires wifi connection to car. No problem there. Connects as it always did and all works fine.
However, the other day I was parked and waiting to pick someone up so I grabbed my phone and tried launching safari, checking email, etc. and the phone itself won't connect to the outside world while it's connected to the car as it seems to want to connect through the Wifi which apparently is just used for carplay connection? If I turn wifi off on phone, i get a warning i can't use carplay but can now use my phone no problem though it's cellular connection. Another workaround I've found is to connect the car's wifi to my personal hotspot and this seems to solve the problem as well. But never had to do that before. Anyway, I don't recall this being an issue until recently. I have online pack with data plan and car is only a few months old. I've also turned on WiFi assist in my cellular settings to try and get the phone to use cellular instead of wifi for these "phone in hand" actions, but that doesn't appear to do anything. Anyway, curious if anyone else is experiencing similar issue and/or has a thought about solution. Apologies if this is confusing, but did my best to explain.

Old 06-27-2022, 06:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,157 Likes on 624 Posts

I can't help but mine is doing the same exact thing. Iphone 13pro, latest iOS, 3.2.1 software, online data pack/in car wifi, etc -- Won't sync emails or web browser not working. Place/receive phone calls just fine. Definitely a deal breaking problem for wireless CarPlay.

That said today I was in the car w/ phone (CarPlay wireless hooked up) and it all worked fine. But I wonder if perhaps it's using the Defender's internet via wifi...

Old 06-27-2022, 06:21 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by nashvegas
I can't help but mine is doing the same exact thing. Iphone 13pro, latest iOS, 3.2.1 software, online data pack/in car wifi, etc -- Won't sync emails or web browser not working. Place/receive phone calls just fine. Definitely a deal breaking problem for wireless CarPlay.

That said today I was in the car w/ phone (CarPlay wireless hooked up) and it all worked fine. But I wonder if perhaps it's using the Defender's internet via wifi...

Yeah, best i can tell is the phone makes the wifi connection to the LRXXXXX in order for wireless carplay to work. But when the phone itself tries to use that same Wifi connection to get access to the internet, it won't work. When I switch the car's Wifi to connect to my phone's hotspot, it all works fine. However, it's not an ideal solution because if you get in the car and it connects to the hotspot before carplay is activated it won't auto connect. Definitely something with latest OS causing this. Pretty annoying.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:49 PM
Winching
Received 574 Likes on 302 Posts

Not sure if this will help but a friend on our RS6 chat was also having trouble with his car play / iPhone connection. Here is what he discovered:

"Was having issues with my CarPlay not connecting. Thought it was something wrong with my car. Turns out this private relay beta that apple has for the new iPhones causes CarPlay to act up. So if your CarPlay doesn’t connect wirelessly and you Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are on. Try turning off private relay. Mine started working immediately."

Hope it helps

Matt

Old 06-28-2022, 08:12 AM
Drifting
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Seems to be a couple of things going on with he latest release.

I've noticed the same thing with the wifi/CarPlay issue, but have not had issues with using my iPhone while connected to wireless CarPlay - unless I attempt to connect to a local wifi connection (e.g. while parked and there is little to no cellular signal). Definitely seems to be an issue that wasn't noticed previously.

Two other issues I am seeing:
1. CarPlay drops the wireless connection somewhat frequently and sometimes reconnects quickly, sometimes not at all. It's hit or miss. Seems like there is probably something missing between the Pivi updates and iOS updates that are not in sync with one another.
2. Charging plate often not charging my iPhone 13 Pro Max while it sits on the pad. This was an ongoing issue for some time and seemed to be resolved in one of the more recent Pivi updates, now broken again. I'm guessing it's likely the Pivi updates not being in sync with iOS updates because they finally got it working consistently not long ago.

Old 06-30-2022, 11:46 AM
Mudding

interestingly (at least to me) this behavior seems to have self corrected. at least for the time being. what i've noticed:
- when i reported the issue, my phone would connect to carplay wirelessly no problem when i got in the car and started up, but the phone would stay connected to the LRXXXXX wifi and limit the phone's ability to connect to the internet
- my only workaround was to set the car's wifi to connect back to my phone's hotspot, thereby sending my phone's signal from my phone to the car then back to my phone for connection to the outside world - this was a bit of a pain and caused some other issues, but not important at the moment
- then out of nowhere yesterday (or maybe the day before) i got in my car, started as normal, and noticed that once car and carplay fired up, my phone would now show it was connecting to internet via cellular 5G connection and all works normally as intended
didn't change anything on my end, no updates to iOS or car OS, but i'll just pretend this issue never happened and hope it doesn't again.
thanks to all who expressed an opinion or idea.

Old 07-04-2022, 12:43 PM
Mudding

Just bumping this back up to the top for anyone else who might be experiencing same/similar issue. i thought my issue had resolved last week when i posted above, but it returned two days later. after searching many other forums for all kinds of cars with similar wifi/carplay issues, i took the steps below and it seems to have solved the issue. it's been stable and working as it should for about 5 days now.

- completely disconnected my iphone from any wireless connection to the car - including removing and forgetting the bluetooth connection, disconnected from the car's wifi, and forgetting the LRXXXXXX wifi network so it wouldn't autoconnect anymore
- then i renamed my iphone (in settings, general, about) to a shorter, simpler name (i had a somewhat long name for my phone with multiple spaces, words, etc.)
- then reconnected to the car's bluetooth as a new device, and agreed to have phone used for wireless carplay

and that's pretty much it. no more issues with phone not being able to get internet signal. connects to carplay wirelessly and all works fine from both the car interface and the phone itself. anyway, worked for me, your mileage may vary.