Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check this before you have a flat

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 12:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts
Exclamation Check this before you have a flat

Pictured below is a potentially handy device that is included with your jack and wheel brace. It is a cone that you screw onto the uppermost lug on wheel (or spare tire carrier) to aid in positioning a tire prior to engaging up other lug nuts.

When we tried to use it on our 19" alloy wheels we discovered the fat end was a tiny bit too fat to fit through our alloys - and therefore useless. When I got home I ground a tiny bit (maybe 0.01") off the diameter of the fat end so that it now fits through our alloy rims. Next time we'll be set! I urge others to check the fit of these super-useful cones before you need them!

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (12-31-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 01:21 PM
Winching
Received 451 Likes on 214 Posts

It is a handy Tool supplied with the alloys. ( 5094 in my case)
unfortunately not useable with my steel wheels ( 5093 )

Old 12-30-2021, 11:06 PM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by RH5555
Pictured below is a potentially handy device that is included with your jack and wheel brace. It is a cone that you screw onto the uppermost lug on wheel (or spare tire carrier) to aid in positioning a tire prior to engaging up other lug nuts.

When we tried to use it on our 19" alloy wheels we discovered the fat end was a tiny bit too fat to fit through our alloys - and therefore useless. When I got home I ground a tiny bit (maybe 0.01") off the diameter of the fat end so that it now fits through our alloy rims. Next time we'll be set! I urge others to check the fit of these super-useful cones before you need them!
Strange that I just used that device/tool when removing the front wheels to install mud flaps, and mine was not conical, but the same diameter through its entire length. Worked as designed and intended. Much easier to lift the wheel onto the lug extension, and with a gentle wiggle, seat the wheel firmly on the hub with little lifting and effort. Check with your dealer. When I got home the after picking mine up, and digging through every corner, I discovered that I was missing the towing eye. Called my salesman immediately and went back the next day to retrieve it.

Old 12-31-2021, 06:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
Strange that I just used that device/tool when removing the front wheels to install mud flaps, and mine was not conical, but the same diameter through its entire length. Worked as designed and intended. Much easier to lift the wheel onto the lug extension, and with a gentle wiggle, seat the wheel firmly on the hub with little lifting and effort. Check with your dealer. When I got home the after picking mine up, and digging through every corner, I discovered that I was missing the towing eye. Called my salesman immediately and went back the next day to retrieve it.

Mine didn't have the tow eye when I picked it up too. They told me the XD does not get it because it already includes factory rear eyes.

Old 12-31-2021, 09:49 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
Mine didn't have the tow eye when I picked it up too. They told me the XD does not get it because it already includes factory rear eyes.
I was expecting the same reply from my salesman, but found other postings and pictures of the cargo storage area with the tow eye neatly fitted in the space provided, and went armed with that. He and I walked out to some other vehicles on the lot, where he was going to grab one, but couldn’t find one. When he did find one, it was a different size, as I showed him in the photos I had. He said he would locate one and called the next day informing me that, and I was able to pick it up on a subsequent trip. I was almost waiting for him to say the same thing your dealership said, about having the factory rear eyes, but if your vehicle is not able to be recovered from the rear, you still need the tow eye in the front. Read that pertinent section in the manual about towing and you will see the procedure requires you to remove a panel under the front bumper by turning a few tabs and insert the towing eye into the threaded receptacle for a tow truck driver to winch the vehicle onto a flatbed.

Old 12-31-2021, 10:05 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
I was expecting the same reply from my salesman, but found other postings and pictures of the cargo storage area with the tow eye neatly fitted in the space provided, and went armed with that. He and I walked out to some other vehicles on the lot, where he was going to grab one, but couldn’t find one. When he did find one, it was a different size, as I showed him in the photos I had. He said he would locate one and called the next day informing me that, and I was able to pick it up on a subsequent trip. I was almost waiting for him to say the same thing your dealership said, about having the factory rear eyes, but if your vehicle is not able to be recovered from the rear, you still need the tow eye in the front. Read that pertinent section in the manual about towing and you will see the procedure requires you to remove a panel under the front bumper by turning a few tabs and insert the towing eye into the threaded receptacle for a tow truck driver to winch the vehicle onto a flatbed.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​I do tend to agree with you but I picked it up about 4 weeks ago and got it about $2k below sticker and that was the only thing that seemed to be missing before I went back to sign the papers so I reluctantly just shrugged my shoulders on that one.

And maybe whatever the other empty slot is at the back left?

Last edited by _Allegedly; 12-31-2021 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:16 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

Wouldn't the front recovery point negate the necessity for a screw in recovery hook?

Old 12-31-2021, 10:39 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Wouldn't the front recovery point negate the necessity for a screw in recovery hook?

I agree with your statement, but while picking up a new vehicle close to $75k, I wanted all those spaces filled. And I got just that. And the gloss black rear upper rear panel had a slightly hazy look to it when viewed under certain lighting conditions. I was going to be ok with that but my girlfriend spoke up, said, ‘no that’s not the way it should be,’ they ordered one on the spot and replaced it 3 days later. My favorite line from ‘Breaking Bad’, No half measures.

Old 12-31-2021, 11:06 AM
Pro Wrench

Well... this kinda clears it up.

From the workshop manual new vehicle prep section.

Looks like they're just tossing it aside.

Old 01-03-2022, 10:49 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,507 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
​​​​​​
​​​​​​I do tend to agree with you but I picked it up about 4 weeks ago and got it about $2k below sticker and that was the only thing that seemed to be missing before I went back to sign the papers so I reluctantly just shrugged my shoulders on that one.

And maybe whatever the other empty slot is at the back left?

Back left slot is for something related to the diesel models. A funnel of some sort to add a magic fluid. Sorry I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to these things.

The following users liked this post:
_Allegedly (01-03-2022)

Quick Reply: Check this before you have a flat