Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 01:53 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Check engine light

Today, while driving on rhe highway, my truck's gear shifts became very jerky. The check engine light came on, and the engine was getting weaker and stalling. I pulled over to the shoulder, and the engine shut down as per the tach. i tried to restart but no luck. The engine would turn over but not fire. I let things sit for a few minutes. It restarted , and the jerky shifts seemed to go away but the check engine light stayed lit. I drove slowly to the dealership which was just a mile away.​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​The dealership said they had no loaners and that they would not pick up the costs of a rental. Anyway, I left the vehicle there and am waiting on them. ​​​​​​​My vehicle is a 2021 base defender 110 with cold climate package and clearsight. Pivipro is at 3.0. 8700 miles trouble free so far.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Any similar experiences?​​​​​​​PS My wife picked me up at the dealer and the first words out of her month was "The English patient took a turn for the worse?"​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Old 03-15-2022, 02:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy3
"The English patient took a turn for the worse?"
Ouch ....
You may want to contact JLR. They (were) covering the cost of a rental if the dealership denied you. May want to get that in writing from the dealer, and call JLR. In the past - true - they used to be pretty good at that. Good luck and please keep us posted of what the issue may be.
​​​​​​​

Old 03-15-2022, 02:52 PM
Mudding
Received 116 Likes on 58 Posts

Between my son and myself, our Base Models 90 and 110 were always in the shop.......that's why we sold them. However, the Dealer always picked up the cost of the loaner............at times, we had loaners for up to 3 weeks.

We were both so excited to get these vehicles and even more excited when we sold them!!!!

Old 03-15-2022, 03:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

Gas cap tightened?

Old 03-15-2022, 07:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

I had nearly the same thing occur with my 2022 d90 p300 about a month or two ago if you check my posts you might locate that. Never happened before, ran like a top for 10k miles.

The dealer wasn't sure about the root cause, the code said something about low fuel pressure. It essentially acted like it was running out of fuel when it had half a tank. Dealer updated a module and said they drove it a lot while they had it, it didn't repeat for them and service mgr said he didn't think it would repeat. Fingers crossed.

So far anyway it has not repeated, knock on wood. I got a loaner, just good timing probably, their situation is really bad for loaners now but I bought the Defender at that dealership and it was made clear to me that it played into my landing a loaner car for the 10 days or so.

Old 03-16-2022, 11:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,254 Likes on 746 Posts

Land Rover "Commitment" is pretty clear. They may be able to weasel out of providing loaners which has been a brand expectation, but the Land Rover Commitment (Link) says that they will take care of you to/from the Service location. Ask the Dealer how they are going to honor their Brand Commitment (could be Lift, Uber, Loaner, whatever - your spouse isn't on the list) and if not report them to the JLR Dealer body at Link.

The following 3 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
Chief65 (03-17-2022), DrPizz (11-09-2022), Elektrapops (11-11-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 11:23 AM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

Local dealer here in SoCal (Encino, soon moving to Woodland Hills, hopefully things will improve there) is terrible for loaners, despite being a pretty large volume dealer. If you must have one and if you make an appointment, they may schedule you a month and a half to two months out, versus taking you in right away if you can just get by with a Lyft ride back to your home. If you show up unannounced, no chance of a loaner of course, and they don't do rentals either, all they'll offer is a ride home. There are also fairly restrictive rules about how many miles you can put on a loaner car before they start charging you. I think they sold off all of their loaners as used cars during the pandemic, have almost none left and no easy way to replenish the fleet.

Old 03-16-2022, 11:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,254 Likes on 746 Posts

@umbertob - I think you nailed it. I am strongly of the opinion that EVERY dealer sold off their loaner fleets because the used market is so lucrative for every brand right now. Their new car sales are down so they made it up with used sales and at the cost of customer experience.

The following 2 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
gdyear78 (04-26-2022), mopadzi (04-26-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 10:47 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Picked up the vehicle. Here is the message on my invoice. All electronics as far as I can rell. ​​​​​​​CONNECTED PATHFINDER AND RETRIEVED FAULTS P1338-38 FUEL PUMPDRIVERMODULE COMMUNICATION CIRCUIT AND P008A-77-LOWPRESSURE FUEL SYSTEM-PRESSURE ISTOO LOW. VERIFIED NO OTHERRELATED FAULTS IN OTHER MODULES. REMOVED RR WHEELANDACCESSED FUEL PUMP MODULE. VERIFIED POWER AND SIGN FROM PCM.FOUND NO SIGNSOF WATER INGRESS. PERFORMED PIN DRAG ON PCMSIGNAL WIRE-OK. ORDERED AND INSTALLEDNEW FUEL PUMP MODULEDRIVER, REASSEMBLED AND TEST DROVE 2 TIMES. RECHECKEDFORCODES-NONE RETURNED. VERIFIED NO FURTHER ISSUES.

The following 3 users liked this post by Easy3:
Chief65 (03-18-2022), GavinC (03-18-2022), GrouseK9 (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 05:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

Yea, same thing as I had right down to the check for water ingress comment. All we can do is hope for the best. Never happened before or since with mine. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Check engine light