2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 07:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Gotta say, @Easy3 - that Service Tech was textbook and actually did a superior job (than most) in documenting what he/she did. Thanks for sharing that!

Old 04-25-2022, 06:21 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Back

I posted last month my def 110 started shifting in a very jerky fashion and the check engine light came on. I managed to get it to my dealer and i posted their resolution having to do with fuel pressure.

Anyway, today, my check engine light came on and the symptoms returned, albeit not so drastically. I have managed to get home and am contemplating my next move. I will call the dealer tomorrow but i am not optimistic about an early appt or a loaner. Oh well.

Old 04-25-2022, 08:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy3
I posted last month my def 110 started shifting in a very jerky fashion and the check engine light came on. I managed to get it to my dealer and i posted their resolution having to do with fuel pressure.

Anyway, today, my check engine light came on and the symptoms returned, albeit not so drastically. I have managed to get home and am contemplating my next move. I will call the dealer tomorrow but i am not optimistic about an early appt or a loaner. Oh well.
Any chance your truck went into limp mode? The turbo on my 22’ P300 S blew about 2 months into ownership and went into limp mode on the highway. It was definitely jerky and I had a hard time getting up to 30 mph. Luckily I got a replacement in a few weeks after that happened and all has been good since.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:59 PM
Drifting

Is there any specific notification that the truck has gone into limp mode?

Old 04-26-2022, 06:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

The Johnson Rods are no longer stiff?

(I really hope I don't get banned from this forum...)

The following 2 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
skeptical (06-27-2022), WARWGN (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 06:49 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Is there any specific notification that the truck has gone into limp mode?

There’s nothing specific that tells you it’s in limp mode, but if the acceleration is really bad and you can’t go faster than 30mph or so it’s a safe bet.

Old 06-24-2022, 11:57 AM
Drifting

Continuing the saga of my Check Engine Lighton my 2021 Defender P300 Base, they worked on it yet another time, but the check engine light returned (again). On May 24, I took it in again (3rd or 4th, I forget) and got a loaner this time (Evoque with 20K) and yesterday, a month later, I finally got my car back.

Here is the text of the work done:

CUSTOMER STATES THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON. THEY WERE DRIVING IT AND THE VEHICLE STARTED CHUGGING AND LOST POWER. CUSTOMER STATES THE VEHICLE WILL MAINTAIN ELECTRICAL POWER BUT WILL NOT GO WHEN STEPPING ON THE GAS PEDAL. IF YOU TRY TO RESTART IT WILL CRANK BUT NOT FIRE. THEN WHEN LETTING IT SIT AND EVERYTHING SHUTS OFF. HE WILL RESTART AND EVERYTHING IS WORKING AGAIN BUT THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT STAYS ON. PLEASE ADVISE.

CONNECTED PATHFINDER AND RETRIEVED FAULT P1338·38•FUEL PUMP DRIVER MODULE COMMUNICATION CIRCUIT-SIGNAL FREQUENCY INCORRECT. INSPECTED POSSIBLE CAUSES-CHECKED POWER AND GROUND AT FUEL PUMP MODULE DRIVER. VERIFIED CONNECTOR WAS IN GOOD CONDITION. USING PICOSCOP, ACCESSED PCM CONNECTOR FOR FUEL PUMP MODULE SIGNAL WIRE, VERIFIED IRRATIC SIGNAL. TOOK THE SAME MEASUREMENT AT FUEL PUMP MODULE DRIVER IN RIGHT REAR WHEEL TRIM. VERIFIED SAME ERRATIC SIGNAL. ORDERED AND INSTALLED NEW PCM. ALSO, PERFORMED SIGNAL WIRE OVERLAY FROM PCM CONNECTOR C1E109B-71 TO C4E515A·7 ON THE FUEL PUMP MODULE DRIVER-FROM PCM, UNDER WINDSHIELD COWL, DOWN THE RIGHT FRONT SHOCK TOWER, BEHIND RIGHT FRONT WHEEL LINER, RUN NEXT TO AIR SUSPENSION LINES TO THE RIGHT REAR WHEEL LINER. AFTER OVERLAY WAS COMPLETED, ATTEMPTED TO
PROGRAM PCM. TOPIX CLOUD GAVE NO APPLICATION TO PROGRAM PCM. STARTED TA 3407855 AND REQUESTED CODE TO USE PATHFINDER. DOWNLOADED PATCH FILE, INPUT CODE PROVIDED BY TA, ACCESSED PATHFINDER AND SUCCESSFULLY PROGRAMMED PCM. TEST DROVE VEHICLE AND VERIFIED NO FURTHER ISSUES.

I hope the month long wait will have finally fixed the issue (whatever it is.... all this stuff is way above my understanding).

Cheers

The following users liked this post:
Chief65 (06-24-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 12:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Seems the soft/firm ware on the Engine Control Unit (ECU) which tells the fuel pump module to tell the fuel pump to deliver fuel somehow became corrupted, necessitating reloading the ECU logic. Uggh! Glad they solved it (hopefully!).

This new world of software doing everything -- relating to an electronic module controller -- in order for the module controller to make anything happen electrically or mechanically in the vehicle is so new. A different world. A lot to digest (for me at least).

Enjoy !

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (06-24-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 05:27 PM
Drifting
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Ouch is right. I've had the engine stop/shut down a few times months ago, but nothing since v3.
At least my dealership provides free Uber rides (home and back) if there is no loaner available.

Old 06-24-2022, 06:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

You describe it exactly how mine behaves when it stalls like that. p300 also btw. The only time for me the check engine light stayed on after the incident was the first time it happened, and then I brought it in immediately where they said they updated code on the module. After that it has continued to stall but it's still very intermittently, maybe six times in the 11-12 months that I've owned it. It has not stalled yet when pulling out into a heavy traffic situation (fortunately) so I haven't been at serious risk of being rear-ended but that's more luck than anything else. My first scheduled maintenance was last week and by chance it stalled the day before that at 5:30pm. I mentioned it to the service manager, I said it's still stalling as recently as yesterday so please check for a code from yesterday. He said they checked and no code was logged.

Like I said I love the vehicle in a lot of ways but I'm pretty sure when I trade it later this year I won't shed many tears. Between the seats being problematic, loose backrests and clicking noises from the track areas then this stalling issue, I feel like I'm getting played for over a grand per month and I can get played for a lot less than that.

Last edited by Chief65; 06-24-2022 at 06:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Check engine light