2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Clear" view mirror out of focus ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 10:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts
Default "Clear" view mirror out of focus ?

Well, tonight I thought I need another pair of glasses. But that did not helped me.
Here is why: the pictures here are the "clear" view review mirror, the mighty digital one.
And it is not good at all.

Here are few more details:
- I did clear the lens
- no, it was not fog outside
- during the day the quality is better, almost "clear"

So, overall ... at night it sucks ! basically unusable for me.
What is your experience ? have you any pictures you would like to share ?
Thank you in advance.

Old 11-10-2021, 12:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 133 Likes on 38 Posts

the problem will be in the rear camera in the fin on the roof.
Exchange at the dealer.

Old 11-10-2021, 07:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,258 Likes on 748 Posts

Did you have Lasik done to it? Seriously, though - what you are likely seeing are micro stress fractures in either the lens or the external cover. When the direct beams of headlights are hitting it, you are getting a lot of reflection/refraction from the micro fractures of the plastic/glass used. Or, if I don't geek out - agree with what @mopadzi says.

If you REALLY don't want to go to the Dealer and are crazy optimistic, you can try to polish the lens/lens cover. Google either "glass polish video" or "car headlight polish" (depending on what you find up there) and try it out. You may get lucky. Personally, I'd try that, but I HATE bringing things to the Dealer. YMMV.

Last edited by GrouseK9; 11-10-2021 at 07:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mopadzi (11-11-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 08:39 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
If you REALLY don't want to go to the Dealer and are crazy optimistic, you can try to polish the lens/lens cover. Google either "glass polish video" or "car headlight polish" (depending on what you find up there) and try it out. You may get lucky. Personally, I'd try that, but I HATE bringing things to the Dealer. YMMV.
You are right, I DO hate taking it to the dealer, but at the same time, start polishing the lens on a brand new car .... does not sit well with me. I paid a premium for this, and the car, so hopefully it should be fixed. The fact that it really took a dump in less than 2000 miles, is bad news. What is really odd, is that during the day I do not see these artifacts at all.....I still believe that there is something wrong in the camera itself. And this is something I can't ignore, is kinda useful to have a functional rear view mirror....

It would really be interesting to see if some one else experience similar issues ( hope not ! but ... just saying). I can't believe that I am unique with this issue, but then again, I am the king of weird issues, unheard of before !

Last edited by Mechano2020; 11-10-2021 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 699 Likes on 405 Posts

Just to confirm on the positive side, my 2020 P300 110S at night does not show this problem at all. Nor do I recall anyone else on the forum with this issue.

So, what you are seeing is being caused by something else that what is expected. Grouse and mopadzi make sense in their statements, likely.

Old 11-10-2021, 11:36 PM
Rock Crawling

***UPDATE:
So.... I sent the picture to the dealer to set up a service schedule. To my surprise I was told that this is "not a fault".
Now, I do not have any reference of how a picture should normally look like with this mirror at night.
I would highly appreciate if some one can post a picture of their own, at night, with headlights from behind. Really appreciate it if possible.
Thank you in advance.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,258 Likes on 748 Posts

I would ask for that in writing. Tell them you will bring it in, pay for the diagnostic and then give you that as a result of their checking it out. Then I would gently imply that they now own the risk of any liability of a night time accident because you have informed them of a problem with their electronic rear view mirror and that they own the warrantability of that safety feature. The service tech who told you that it is "not a fault" will likely not have the support of the GM or SM. You'll get a different response, I'm sure.

The following 2 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
Kev M (11-11-2021), TrioLRowner (11-11-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 08:06 AM
Rock Crawling

@GrouseK9 Very good point !
Thank you.
Guess what ? The answer was in the form of an email.
I will follow up with JLR NA probably, so all this is documented.

Old 11-11-2021, 08:10 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,411 Likes on 713 Posts

Can't you just go park it next to another truck on their lot at night and compare the 2?

Old 11-11-2021, 08:19 AM
Rock Crawling

Another Defender ?
There are none on the lot. But, I may try another dealer, and see who may be there when is dark ,and willing to test it with me.
This is why I was asking for pictures....

Quick Reply: "Clear" view mirror out of focus ?