Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consider Selling your New Defender?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 10:29 AM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Mechano2020 -- just curious, which part/issue is delaying your other JLR vehicle repair? I am still reeling from having to find my own ECU fuel pump controller.

I concur something seismic is happening in the area of supply of assets and services of many kinds -- I just have no idea what is the cause.

For those in North America, my recent stupefying moments come whenever I enter a Panera Bread lunch place. I really like their product. But, their delivery is now anemic and they have started posting corporate provided signs which beg for patience because they cannot find people to work in their restaurants.

Very confusing ....
I can TLDR a little. For auto manufacturers, they employ 'just-in-time' manufacturing processes. Most/all of them reacted to the pandemic by canceling commodity orders forseeing hugely decreased demands for their cars. This was especially the case for semiconductor chips. The major consumer of semiductors hwoever, the computing/gaming/etc industries, saw this (correctly) as a boom time with so many people staying home for work AND leisure. So they increased orders significantly, even paying more per unit (read this somewhere). Sprinkle in regional pandemic shutdowns that slowed global supply of these chips plus the fact that demand for new cars actually didn't dip nearly as much as anticipated (probably due in the US to interest rates plummeting back down) and you have a perfect storm of logistical nightmares for whole industries but especially the auto makers.

There are also other logistical crises as well, shipping is pretty well boned. Business models that depend on paying below-poverty wages can't hire enough people (boohoo). Etc. Really Covid through a monkey wrench into our vision of capitalism and we are getting to see which parts are actually brittle af

The following 3 users liked this post by Mcdooogs:
angelboing (08-30-2021), DoctorofRocks (08-30-2021), Mark1107 (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 05:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

We love our 2022 SE, I can't see getting anything else right now so it's a big NO here. We traded a Wrangler Unlimited in for it, the Defender truly is the best of both worlds (good off-road/on the beach and much more comfortable for every day driving).

Plus - here in MA the dealer makes you sign a form saying you won't sell to an importer for a year or agree to pay a 35k fine. How do you know where the car is going if you sell? I know others have had to agree to the same on this site (JLR fine's the dealer and they turn the cost to you is my understanding). Apparently, some customers were buying a defender and then selling overseas to China or other countries for a huge markup where the cost of a Defender is much more.

Keep it and enjoy it. Why else did you buy it?

Old 08-30-2021, 11:32 PM
Mudding
Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

There’s no other luxury off roading suv in its class. I’m sorry. Would only sell for 26k over my 84k msrp.

Old 08-30-2021, 11:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Time will tell ...

@Mcdooogs " I can TLDR a little. For auto manufacturers, they employ 'just-in-time' manufacturing processes. "

YES, and there is the problem. Just in Time is a process that is going the way of the dodo ... or it will soon. Most like six sigma ... a few years ago, with a black belt, one would chose a job, not look for one. Now, gone.
Just in time works in a well integrated world, without interruptions. Well, those interruptions are here to stay...everywhere in the world. Just look at Australia, or even some states in US - as an example.
The world has changed - forever, I am afraid. Some auto manufacturers did not caught this in time ( like console manufacturers ). If they don't adapt fast, some will too go the way of the dinosaurs.