Sponsored by:

Ordering a Defender

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 01:09 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordering a Defender

Hi! I'm new here. Nice to meet you all.

I'm thinking of ordering a Defender (90 or 110 still debating...) later this week. I was wondering how long it'll take for it to be delivered if I were to place an order one now. Has microchip shortage been affecting significantly for the Defender production?

Thanks!

Old 06-15-2021, 05:34 AM
Mudding
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

The process takes approximately 4 months from order to delivery. There are 2 other threads that contain many posts which are very informative. Check them out here:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...orting-104440/

https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...ce-now-104493/

Old 06-15-2021, 05:49 AM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by moun10eer
Hi! I'm new here. Nice to meet you all.

I'm thinking of ordering a Defender (90 or 110 still debating...) later this week. I was wondering how long it'll take for it to be delivered if I were to place an order one now. Has microchip shortage been affecting significantly for the Defender production?

Thanks!
The dealers will have a few orders in queue but still ahead of a "Last Amendment Possible" date that you can have modified to your particular specifications. As a point of reference, I have an order in with a Last Amendment Possible date of 7/7 a build date of 8/20 and a Delivery Date of 10/29 so if all goes as planned it will be about 4 months.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:16 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

If you aren't picky about the features you want, I'd recommend buying one (ideally a MY22) off a dealer's lot. The wait has been agonizing

The following 3 users liked this post by RedAustinIX:
Ahparke (06-15-2021), drcoop (06-15-2021), Marsfoto (06-30-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 09:50 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by RedAustinIX
If you aren't picky about the features you want, I'd recommend buying one (ideally a MY22) off a dealer's lot. The wait has been agonizing
Agree. That's if you can FIND one on the dealer lot that hasn't been spoken for.
There are 3 dealers in the Phoenix area, and each unit that arrives has already been sold.

Old 06-15-2021, 11:18 AM
Winching
Received 245 Likes on 173 Posts

My order is clocking in near 7 months at the moment...so mileage may very...

Old 06-15-2021, 01:29 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Moretti
My order is clocking in near 7 months at the moment...so mileage may very...
SEVEN MONTHS?!?! Ugh. What's up with that?

Old 06-15-2021, 01:53 PM
Winching
Received 245 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBreeze
SEVEN MONTHS?!?! Ugh. What's up with that?
On 2/5/21 I put in a factory order for a MY21 XD HSE. On 2/25/21 the MY22 defenders were announced and my dealer informed me that my order would be converted to a my22. Someone uploaded the my22 order guide here and I was able to calculate that my model was jumping in price in the 3k to 4k range going from a my21 to my22. I contacted my dealer sales rep and he was not very informative about the changes from my21 to my22. He basically just stated that we would have to start over again if I wanted the V8 model and made it sound like there were no other changes.

I was interested in the new M22 XS special edition model as its very similar to the HSE, includes several additional upgrades, and has body colored lower paneling (I like prefer this look vs the black contrast). Since the XS model was new and there was no info anywhere other than the buyers guide, I was wanted to confirm some information about the model (The buyers guide is not totally clear on what it included. The LR US press release also turned out to be wrong as it stated the XS model had air suspension standard which it does not).

on 3/5 my sales rep converted my my21 HSE order to a my22 HSE order (without talking with me). On 3/9 he finally got back to me with information about the XS model and I decided I would rather have that then the HSE as it saved a few thousand and I preferred the look overall. Four days later he got back with me and told me that he was unaware that once a build is ordered you can not swap sub-models. At that point I could have kept my original order with a 7/27 hand over date. I decided to go with the XS order and the date was locked on 3/16. The first update I got with the handover date was 9/5. A few weeks ago my sales rep said the date had been pushed back three weeks. My build date was last week and I am awaiting a reply on an updated vista print out. Back in March the dealer did estimate it would not be till September that the order would arrive due to shortages on the larger media screen. I am also located on the West Coast which adds some extra time vs east coast deliveries.

So depending on how you look at it, it will probably be over 8 months once I take delivery from when I put down my original deposit. I also dont believe that my dealer is placing people into vehicles they have ordered for themselves. They seem to have no problem selling them here so I think they look like it they already have me on the hook with a deposit, why make someone else who is on the fence wait longer? Just speculation on my part.

Old 06-15-2021, 03:52 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Moretti
On 2/5/21 I put in a factory order for a MY21 XD HSE. On 2/25/21 the MY22 defenders were announced and my dealer informed me that my order would be converted to a my22. Someone uploaded the my22 order guide here and I was able to calculate that my model was jumping in price in the 3k to 4k range going from a my21 to my22. I contacted my dealer sales rep and he was not very informative about the changes from my21 to my22. He basically just stated that we would have to start over again if I wanted the V8 model and made it sound like there were no other changes.

I was interested in the new M22 XS special edition model as its very similar to the HSE, includes several additional upgrades, and has body colored lower paneling (I like prefer this look vs the black contrast). Since the XS model was new and there was no info anywhere other than the buyers guide, I was wanted to confirm some information about the model (The buyers guide is not totally clear on what it included. The LR US press release also turned out to be wrong as it stated the XS model had air suspension standard which it does not).

on 3/5 my sales rep converted my my21 HSE order to a my22 HSE order (without talking with me). On 3/9 he finally got back to me with information about the XS model and I decided I would rather have that then the HSE as it saved a few thousand and I preferred the look overall. Four days later he got back with me and told me that he was unaware that once a build is ordered you can not swap sub-models. At that point I could have kept my original order with a 7/27 hand over date. I decided to go with the XS order and the date was locked on 3/16. The first update I got with the handover date was 9/5. A few weeks ago my sales rep said the date had been pushed back three weeks. My build date was last week and I am awaiting a reply on an updated vista print out. Back in March the dealer did estimate it would not be till September that the order would arrive due to shortages on the larger media screen. I am also located on the West Coast which adds some extra time vs east coast deliveries.

So depending on how you look at it, it will probably be over 8 months once I take delivery from when I put down my original deposit. I also dont believe that my dealer is placing people into vehicles they have ordered for themselves. They seem to have no problem selling them here so I think they look like it they already have me on the hook with a deposit, why make someone else who is on the fence wait longer? Just speculation on my part.
Ugh. What an arduous process it has been for you. I too had issues with the MY21 to MY22 change over and an incompetent sales rep so what arrived was not what I expected. After much consternation, I decided to take the vehicle and place another order - this time hopefully it will arrive correctly and I'll trade back the first one. I think you are spot on with regard to the demand and the dealers are able to sell what ever they have multiple times over, so there's no skin off their knee if they **** some buyers off in the process. I sure hope yours arrives as projected and it is exactly what you wanted.

Old 06-15-2021, 05:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,242 Likes on 741 Posts

You may not have the same experience that I did, but here goes. I played on-line for a couple weeks until I nailed exactly what I wanted. If it's going to be that expensive and things are going to take a while, I figured I should just order. I contacted a nearby dealer via the on-line contact form on 2/21 and almost instantly got a reply. We traded e-mails, texts and calls and I sent the build link. She sent an online deposit form for $2k and placed the order. I got NO info of any build information. I knew things were going to be sketchy then. I recommend getting a Purchase Order and get it pretty close! On 3/19 she sent me a build form via text photo that matched what I ordered. On 3/29 she said we made it into the build list. They don't immediately get into a queue as each dealer has a different allotment. She said the target was 7/3. On 4/30 everything was silent and I texted her again. Only to find out that she had quit. She pointed me to a different sales person (likely to toss the commission to a buddy). He was pretty decent so I didn't mind. He said that they placed the order for a 2022. That was both good news and bad news. That meant the specs were completely off. The truck increased about $4k from what I expected mainly because they added the labor to add non-manufacturer items, the new year costs, and other miscellaneous bull-****. They dropped about three things from the "perfect" order. The dynamic electronic diff is now a ~$1,600 add but was a free option. Screwed on that. The extended flares they didn't add, but on seeing it - I actually prefer it with the wheels. And the Clearsight rear mirror. I was pissed with the later because I thought that meant I wouldn't get the groundview. Once I found out the Clearsight groundview was standard with the 360 cameras - I was good! It arrived last Thursday but they've been farting around trying to find off-road tires. Still not sure I got screwed out of that! What are the off-road tire specs? I thought they were Wrangler Duratacs. I have Wrangler All-Terrain. I think they did a slight of hand that I didn't notice until I got home. So I "ordered" it 3/19 and received it 6/15. Three months almost exactly and a lot of BS and missed items. BE CAREFUL. You shouldn't have the switch of year to throw you like I did. At the end, I'm fine with the minor variances but the landing was rougher than I was expecting. I got a 2022 Defender X-Dynamic HSE with a lot of tech adds. If I did it again, I'd carefully consider the 2022 X. Fortunately EVERY dealer is ordering those for their lots.

Quick Reply: Ordering a Defender