Sponsored by:

D90 Build Advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 08:44 AM
GBX
Drifting
Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dmo1028
i went with the 18” dark grey. I think they will look good with my Tasman Blue/white roof 90...I hope I don’t regret not going with the classic look of the steelies!
I just love the classic defenders but i dont think you can go wrong either way. Plus these white steelies will probably be a pain to keep clean...ceramic coating, here i come!

The following users liked this post:
dmo1028 (03-13-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 08:45 AM
GBX
Drifting

Guys, what's the story with Incontrol app, remote start, etc? Is this standard on all models or an options? I saw it as an option on the UK configurator but its not on the US, so I'm hoping its standard.

Chief65 (03-13-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 09:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

i went with the 18” dark grey. I think they will look good with my Tasman Blue/white roof 90...I hope I don’t regret not going with the classic look of the steelies!
I bought my P300 110 solely for its 4WD capability and not its looks.

I have the satin grey 18" with Goodyear AT terrain tires -- they go well with the earthy brown we selected. They look fine, in any case. I stay with the OEM wheels because I know they can be air downed significantly and are engineered to survive off-road.

I am off-road daily and all is continually dirty -- and the color of the vehicle and wheels does help hide the dirt -- a good thing.

The wheels are all already banged up, nothing serious, which is as expected. You may desire to know that JLR does not have an approved protocol for repairing their wheels. So one needs to accept the small gouges as normal wear.

Maybe a primary difference with the steel wheels is they can be touched up, sanded clean and repainted, if desired, without challenging the warranty?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Dirty Land Rovers.pdf (119.3 KB, 68 views)
angelboing (03-13-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 09:26 AM
Drifting
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Defendit..
white steelies or the 18" dark Grey..
I think the satin grey wheels look so good on carpathian grey. Search around and you can find pics of actual vehicles, not just the build tool renderings.

That's the color scheme we went with on our incoming 110.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

Test drove the 90 today, this was a 'first edition' variant with pangea green paint and the white roof. Salesman said they got it in yesterday and it was already spoken for today so I got lucky to even test drive it, it's the only 90 in my city so far since defender released. Loved the visibility, with the shorter wheelbase visibility in the side mirrors to the rear actually seems substantially better, maybe I just needed to tweak the 110 mirrors more on my other test drive but I was kind of bothered by the view, this seemed much better in the 90 and the longer windows on the doors make for less obstruction for peripheral vision. Did NOT like the jumpseat lowered into the armrest position, very bulky IMO, I wasn't planning to option it in anyway but just an FYI because if you want that first edition variant I think it's standard equipment.

My son was sitting in the back seat, he's 6'1 but had plenty of legroom in the 90. One annoyance that would get old really fast with him getting in and out of the back seat is how slowly the front seat moved forward. These seats were the full electric seats and on the passenger-side there's a button you hold down while the seat slowly makes its way forward. This brought a question to mind, specifically in the 90, if you don't have the fully electric seats is that button no longer included? because to be honest it might be a whole lot easier to live with the manual forward and back handle underneath that's on all of the lower trim 110s I've seen i.e. the 8-way and 12-way seats. If anyone has tested a 90 without the fully electric seats and can comment on that button, whether it is there or not it would be appreciated. BTW, this 90 had air suspension, being first edition again I think that's standard but it would've been nice to experience the coil suspension. It looks like I'm going to have to order mine without having tested coils.

Behind the back seats there's very little room, a big grocery run and I think you'd have to put half of the rear seat down. I can live with it for me as I shop for a bag or two every other day. An actual one week vacation where we'd be going with say a large suitcase and then several more medium-sized suitcases and we'd have to lower some of the back seat to make it work. Not ideal but it is what it is. I think I can live with it as my daily driver but I can see where it would be out of the question for a lot of people, especially those who load up the back of their SUV quite often.

Last edited by Chief65; 03-13-2021 at 04:19 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Chief65:
angelboing (03-13-2021), Juancl (03-13-2021), jurfie (03-13-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 04:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

Looks just like mine!

dmo1028 (03-13-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 04:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief65
Test drove the 90 today, this was a 'first edition' variant with pangea green paint and the white roof. Salesman said they got it in yesterday and it was already spoken for today so I got lucky to even test drive it, it's the only 90 in my city so far since defender released. Loved the visibility, with the shorter wheelbase visibility in the side mirrors to the rear actually seems substantially better, maybe I just needed to tweak the 110 mirrors more on my other test drive but I was kind of bothered by the view, this seemed much better in the 90 and the longer windows on the doors make for less obstruction for peripheral vision. Did NOT like the jumpseat lowered into the armrest position, very bulky IMO, I wasn't planning to option it in anyway but just an FYI because if you want that first edition variant I think it's standard equipment.

My son was sitting in the back seat, he's 6'1 but had plenty of legroom in the 90. One annoyance that would get old really fast with him getting in and out of the back seat is how slowly the front seat moved forward. These seats were the full electric seats and on the passenger-side there's a button you hold down while the seat slowly makes its way forward. This brought a question to mind, specifically in the 90, if you don't have the fully electric seats is that button no longer included? because to be honest it might be a whole lot easier to live with the manual forward and back handle underneath that's on all of the lower trim 110s I've seen i.e. the 8-way and 12-way seats. If anyone has tested a 90 without the fully electric seats and can comment on that button, whether it is there or not it would be appreciated. BTW, this 90 had air suspension, being first edition again I think that's standard but it would've been nice to experience the coil suspension. It looks like I'm going to have to order mine without having tested coils.

Behind the back seats there's very little room, a big grocery run and I think you'd have to put half of the rear seat down. I can live with it for me as I shop for a bag or two every other day. An actual one week vacation where we'd be going with say a large suitcase and then several more medium-sized suitcases and we'd have to lower some of the back seat to make it work. Not ideal but it is what it is. I think I can live with it as my daily driver but I can see where it would be out of the question for a lot of people, especially those who load up the back of their SUV quite often.
My understanding is it does not have the button as the whole process is mechanic, which will make it quite faster. That is the silver lining for me of not having electric seats. I use the rear seat a lot, so would be quickly annoyed by the process with electric seats.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:41 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Juancl
My understanding is it does not have the button as the whole process is mechanic, which will make it quite faster. That is the silver lining for me of not having electric seats. I use the rear seat a lot, so would be quickly annoyed by the process with electric seats.
Yes thanks I found a video to confirm (fast forward to 9 minutes in to see) the manual seats make this a much more simple process. Big win for us guys putting together lower budget builds with the 90.

The following 2 users liked this post by Chief65:
angelboing (03-13-2021), Juancl (03-13-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 08:03 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by GBX
Guys, what's the story with Incontrol app, remote start, etc? Is this standard on all models or an options? I saw it as an option on the UK configurator but its not on the US, so I'm hoping its standard.
It would be good to know because one of the big reasons I'm finally leaving my Audi leasing behind is that it doesn't have remote start. I keep going down this 'build' configurator path with the Defender and choosing the wifi enabled data plan, my assumption is that incontrol will just work with my iphone to remote start this vehicle but it sure would be nice if someone in the USA can confirm that. It really is a dealbreaker for me if this for some reason isn't working.

Old 03-13-2021, 08:06 PM
GBX
Drifting

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the new bigger 11.4in touch screen that’s available for 2022’s? It’s only $140 more. I kind of like how the smaller screen is tucked into the dash but a larger screen may make things easier.

goblue21 (03-27-2021)

Quick Reply: D90 Build Advise