Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D90 Build Advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 09:29 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief65
It would be good to know because one of the big reasons I'm finally leaving my Audi leasing behind is that it doesn't have remote start. I keep going down this 'build' configurator path with the Defender and choosing the wifi enabled data plan, my assumption is that incontrol will just work with my iphone to remote start this vehicle but it sure would be nice if someone in the USA can confirm that. It really is a dealbreaker for me if this for some reason isn't working.
You can get the activity key 2.0. Its like a wrist watch. It can remote start.

Old 03-14-2021, 06:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Moretti
You can get the activity key 2.0. Its like a wrist watch. It can remote start.
Hmm, interesting, I wasn't planning to option in the activity key but if it's the only way and / or the easiest way I may be forced into it. Something is mentioned on the Land Rover web site under InControl 'Remote Climate' (blurb shown below) but I haven't seen anyone in the US demo this feature yet. Like this morning it's well below freezing where I live, if I have a new defender in the driveway with the cold weather pack on it I want to start the vehicle from inside the house so when I get in it isn't an icebox like the Audi is. Also would expect to be able to turn on the heated windshield from the house too, but I'll settle for remote start at least to warm the interior.

Depending on your vehicle specifications and market, the InControl Remote Smartphone App will provide you with the ability to pre-condition your vehicle either via the Engine Start function.

If you have a vehicle with an automatic transmission, the engine will be used to pre-condition the vehicle. You can select a target temperature and will then be able to remotely start the engine by pressing the ""Engine Start"" button and entering your InControl PIN on the Remote Climate screen of the InControl Remote Smartphone app.

Last edited by Chief65; 03-14-2021 at 06:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
angelboing (03-14-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 07:37 AM
Overlanding
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmm, interesting, I wasn't planning to option in the activity key but if it's the only way and / or the easiest way I may be forced into it. Something is mentioned on the Land Rover web site under InControl 'Remote Climate' (blurb shown below) but I haven't seen anyone in the US demo this feature yet. Like this morning it's well below freezing where I live, if I have a new defender in the driveway with the cold weather pack on it I want to start the vehicle from inside the house so when I get in it isn't an icebox like the Audi is. Also would expect to be able to turn on the heated windshield from the house too, but I'll settle for remote start at least to warm the interior.

Depending on your vehicle specifications and market, the InControl Remote Smartphone App will provide you with the ability to pre-condition your vehicle either via the Engine Start function.

If you have a vehicle with an automatic transmission, the engine will be used to pre-condition the vehicle. You can select a target temperature and will then be able to remotely start the engine by pressing the ""Engine Start"" button and entering your InControl PIN on the Remote Climate screen of the InControl Remote Smartphone app.
Somewhere in the vast amount of information I've watched/read about the Defender over the past year of waiting, I remember hearing that the 'Remote Climate' options for InControl were certainly not available for the US. The powerfuluk guys have commented on it a few times (for their UK-marked D110) but I don't think that's where I originally saw the info. I think the best we get is Remote Start via the InControl app.

FWIW, I have the Activity Key as part of my order, but I believe that it only works within the same range as a keyfob in your pocket. Not much of an option for 'remote' starting as you'd have to be pretty close to the vehicle.

Old 03-14-2021, 08:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by skylinezx
Somewhere in the vast amount of information I've watched/read about the Defender over the past year of waiting, I remember hearing that the 'Remote Climate' options for InControl were certainly not available for the US. The powerfuluk guys have commented on it a few times (for their UK-marked D110) but I don't think that's where I originally saw the info. I think the best we get is Remote Start via the InControl app.

FWIW, I have the Activity Key as part of my order, but I believe that it only works within the same range as a keyfob in your pocket. Not much of an option for 'remote' starting as you'd have to be pretty close to the vehicle.
Thanks for the info. Remote start via the InControl app is good enough for me.

Old 03-14-2021, 01:21 PM
Mudding
Received 116 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX
Just saw and drove the D90 at my local dealership. The 90 feels perfect! I always felt that the 110 just felt too big. Plus the back seats are very spacious. I sat back there with the front seat all the way back and had plenty of room (5'8"). Big rear windows make it feel even bigger.

I'm trying to keep my build as basic as possible and have spec'd as followed:

Pangea Green
18" Style 5093, Gloss White, Steel
Off-Road Tires
White contrast Roof
Folding Fabric Roof (played with this in person - opens about 25% more then the glass roof!)
Khaki Grained Leather and Robust Woven Textile Seat Facings with Ebony Interior
12-way Heated Semi-powered Front Seats
Meridian™ Sound System

What do you guys think? I'm on the fence about the off-road pack. I don't plan to do much off-roading but plan to drive on the beach and may try some off-roading if I have the chance. Plus, we get a decent amount of snow in the NE. How necessary do you think the active diff is for my use?

Also, I remember seeing early on in the configurator a way to delete the center console. Anyone know anything about that? Is it still an option?
You definitely should get the off-road package, along with the towing package which will give you the advanced off-road capability package as well You went with off-road tires, why not go all the way? And to keep that Defender looking good with the white top, definitely white 18 inch Steelies.

Old 03-14-2021, 02:36 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be good to know because one of the big reasons I'm finally leaving my Audi leasing behind is that it doesn't have remote start. I keep going down this 'build' configurator path with the Defender and choosing the wifi enabled data plan, my assumption is that incontrol will just work with my iphone to remote start this vehicle but it sure would be nice if someone in the USA can confirm that. It really is a dealbreaker for me if this for some reason isn't working.
I can confirm that my 2021 Defender 90 First Edition (only optional equipment on the window sticker were the off-road tires and the Tow Hitch Receiver) can be remote started via the App. The First edition does come standard with a "REMOTE" feature that is listed on the window sticker as "Emergency Collision Notification, Stolen Vehicle Locator, Remote Start". Not sure if that is standard on other trim levels, but is specifically listed on my First Edition window sticker under the standard equipment section.

B

Old 03-14-2021, 09:06 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is how the LR remote app functions with my 2019 discovery (can adjust interior temp from afar, check mileage/fuel level, track journeys, fold/unfold rear seats). and my older model activity key 1.0 is useful for me because i don't have to keep my entire set of house & car keys with me when i'm out for a trail run, bike ride, or at a theme park. it does require me to touch it to the tailgate for the car to lock/unlock, however.

The following users liked this post:
Chief65 (03-15-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 01:17 PM
4wd Low
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey skylinezx and Dave/dmo1028: did you receive your Defender 90s on 3/26 as scheduled?

(My D90 is on a ship headed to Baltimore and my delivery date is April 9, and I'm just wondering whether you experienced any delay in your deliveries).

Thanks!

Dan
Michigan

Old 03-27-2021, 02:08 PM
Drifting
Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Stubby 2
Hey skylinezx and Dave/dmo1028: did you receive your Defender 90s on 3/26 as scheduled?

(My D90 is on a ship headed to Baltimore and my delivery date is April 9, and I'm just wondering whether you experienced any delay in your deliveries).

Thanks!

Dan
Michigan
Dan- Unfortunately, that’s a no from me. My dealer called me Tuesday and said they received an invoice or some kind of notice and said usually when they receive that, it’s usually a couple days before it arrives at the dealership so we were still on track for 3/26. Well, yesterday came and went and it didn’t show up. I texted them about every 2 hours checking! No calls today but I’m not sure they get deliveries on Saturdays. My fingers are crossed for Monday!!

My original delivery was scheduled for 4/9 and now I’m wishing they hadn’t told me it was coming early! The excitement is driving me bonkers 🤣

Last edited by dmo1028; 03-27-2021 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-27-2021, 05:07 PM
Overlanding
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stubby 2

Thanks!

Dan
Michigan
I just got word this morning that my D90 arrived at my dealer last night. I guess that's "on schedule". I was told they'll need a couple of days for PDI, so I'm looking at taking delivery on Tuesday.

The following 4 users liked this post by skylinezx:
angelboing (03-28-2021), dmo1028 (03-27-2021), goblue21 (03-27-2021), Kev M (03-29-2021)

Quick Reply: D90 Build Advise