Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D90 rear seats that WILL fold flat!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2022, 04:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
They were designed by Starbucks barista's and assembled in a Lego factory by apprentices. But they cost $80k and look cool so I'll buy one and stain my driveway with tire gel.
​​​​​​You mean you don't get a discount with your job at Starbucks?

Forget the fight for 15, you're at least owed a Disco Sport.

Old 03-20-2022, 05:33 PM
Winching
Received 610 Likes on 290 Posts

FWIW, check out this video. Doesn’t make the floor itself flat, but allows the seats to be horizontal, instead of that awkward angle.

Old 03-20-2022, 05:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 60 Likes on 32 Posts

Ralf, this is fantastic work! I recently removed the rear seats in my D90 along with the hulking crossbar to accommodate rear cargo vs. rear passengers. I wasn't 100% sure that it didn't provide some sort of additional lateral stiffness, but did away with it after also noticing that the commercial/hardtop 90's also do not have it. Glad you reaffirmed my thoughts on that.

I do have one question regarding the procedure: since I removed my rear seats completely, I have a yellow airbag warning light that I eventually plan on tricking with the proper resistor and getting the light reset by an independent mechanic. Did you have to deal with this as well? Or do the seats that you swapped in also have an airbag sensor in them, making it plug and play? (Further down the road I plan on removing the rear seatbelts, and assume I'll have to deal with more warning lights once I tackle that part of the job). Anyway, just curious how you handled the warning light - if you had to at all.

Two pics of mine for reference: first one with everything removed. Second one with the base bolted back in along with some foam pads and an aftermarket rear cargo mat from a 110 model to finish it off.

The following users liked this post:
TrioLRowner (08-08-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 07:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by robn
Ralf, this is fantastic work! I recently removed the rear seats in my D90 along with the hulking crossbar to accommodate rear cargo vs. rear passengers. I wasn't 100% sure that it didn't provide some sort of additional lateral stiffness, but did away with it after also noticing that the commercial/hardtop 90's also do not have it. Glad you reaffirmed my thoughts on that.

I do have one question regarding the procedure: since I removed my rear seats completely, I have a yellow airbag warning light that I eventually plan on tricking with the proper resistor and getting the light reset by an independent mechanic. Did you have to deal with this as well? Or do the seats that you swapped in also have an airbag sensor in them, making it plug and play? (Further down the road I plan on removing the rear seatbelts, and assume I'll have to deal with more warning lights once I tackle that part of the job). Anyway, just curious how you handled the warning light - if you had to at all.

Two pics of mine for reference: first one with everything removed. Second one with the base bolted back in along with some foam pads and an aftermarket rear cargo mat from a 110 model to finish it off.

Dang, well done job.

robn (03-20-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 07:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
​​​​​​You mean you don't get a discount with your job at Starbucks?

Forget the fight for 15, you're at least owed a Disco Sport.
A Disco Sport? I would expect better from you, like a Range Rover Evoque convertible.

Old 03-21-2022, 04:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 631 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
FWIW, check out this video. Doesn’t make the floor itself flat, but allows the seats to be horizontal, instead of that awkward angle.

https://youtu.be/_PFk3mj_Mb8
I was doing this with mine previously. It is an improvement, however that ledge makes loading longer heavier items very difficult.

Old 03-21-2022, 04:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 631 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by robn

I have seen your posts from tuis mod. Very nice job! In mine, the only connectors on the rear seat were the seat belt buckle wiring. Technically, when i first removed the seat, i had them unplugged for a few days driving around and had no airbag warning. Unless yours has some other seat sensor mat or pyro buckles, the warning shouldnt be on. Maybe if you unplugged them with the ignition on, or unplugged another component like a front seat or so, you shouldn't have a warning. Even if rectified, an airbag light will not clear itself. It has to be cleard. I connected the buckles in the seat i installed to the existing buckle wiring since it was there. The only thing i believe the buckle switches do is show how many people are buckled up in the instrument cluster when you 1st start the car.

robn (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 07:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

That’s great work, robn! Looks proper once you were finished.

My JK Wrangler (2014) 2-door had a rear seat that I removed and ran it that way for 7 years. Just never took the Jeep when I needed a backseat (which was/is rare anyway, since no kids at home.) But it was funny how I had a little twinge of reluctance before taking it out that I might miss out on an opportunity to haul some extra people around. Never happened.

It’s funny that I have a 110 now — it’s honestly for the extra cargo space, not the backseat. I found myself cramped when doing western-US multi-day off-roading trips with the 2-door Wrangler.

The following 2 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
GrouseK9 (03-21-2022), robn (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 11:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 191 Likes on 113 Posts

How deep is that cargo area with everything out? I wonder if a guy 5'10" could sleep back there at an angle?

Old 03-21-2022, 11:54 AM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

i was going the opposite- "i can't take anything apart and am not handy" route and am getting a custom "cushion" made with an angle to the boot which will allow me to lay golf clubs down or a surf board..

robn (03-21-2022)

Quick Reply: D90 rear seats that WILL fold flat!