Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash cam on a USA build

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 02:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Dash cam on a USA build

Has anyone in the US installed this dash cam I found on the UK accessories site?https://accessories.landrover.com/gb...#tertiary-tabs
I’ve been informed by my dealer that they couldn’t install it because it’s not available in our region. So I would be installing it myself. Just want to make sure I could get it to work. Thank you.

gary

Old 07-26-2021, 03:10 PM
4wd High
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm afraid I can't help at present but I am about to order one (PN VPLKV0134) from my local (USA) dealer, $661.47. Will let you know if all goes to plan.

Old 07-26-2021, 03:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,405 Likes on 708 Posts

Does the Defender have the same power harness as the Disco shown in this install sheet?

If not, there's zero benefit to using oem. Even if it does, I'd say it's still not worth $670.

There are dozens of aftermarket sets that have the same or better capability for about 80% less than the JLR markup.

LAND ROVER ACCESSORY FITTING INSTRUCTIONS

This is from a $120 Vava that has front, rear, pip, gps, shock activation, 1080p etc. We have 2 and they have been flawless/simple for over a year.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 07-26-2021 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:02 PM
4wd High

I agree. The main benefit to this camera is the clever tap into power behind the ceiling switchgear and, without having a look I can't say. I have a BlackView from my earlier Porsche that is probably at least as capable. The JLR camera does fit into that tiny niche of the upper left windscreen however. I have attached the camera price and installation cost from my dealer They must be having a laugh with those prices!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Unknown.pdf (489.8 KB, 209 views)
The following users liked this post:
_Allegedly (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 04:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,405 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by Gillingham
I agree. The main benefit to this camera is the clever tap into power behind the ceiling switchgear and, without having a look I can't say. I have a BlackView from my earlier Porsche that is probably at least as capable. The JLR camera does fit into that tiny niche of the upper left windscreen however. I have attached the camera price and installation cost from my dealer They must be having a laugh with those prices!
That can't be real. $1800 for install?!?!

It's a 30 minute job.

Old 07-26-2021, 06:43 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
That can't be real. $1800 for install?!?!

It's a 30 minute job.
Right. I've probably installed half a dozen dash cams in various cars and the worst of it (routing cables up, over, under, down, across all the way to the rear window) has not taken over an hour. The Parts Man indicates they must disassemble all the interior fittings in order to complete the job. Either I'm particularly handy (no chance of that) or these blokes are padding their labour costs.

The following 2 users liked this post by Gillingham:
Mechano2020 (07-26-2021), _Allegedly (07-26-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 06:15 AM
WMN
Three Wheeling
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by FLwolverine
Has anyone in the US installed this dash cam I found on the UK accessories site?https://accessories.landrover.com/gb...#tertiary-tabs
I’ve been informed by my dealer that they couldn’t install it because it’s not available in our region. So I would be installing it myself. Just want to make sure I could get it to work. Thank you.

gary
Have you seen this powerfuluk video?

WMN

GrouseK9 (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 11:03 AM
Three Wheeling

Thank you all for the responses. I like the OEM look so if I go that way I will definitely be installing it myself, I have seen the vids and it’s pretty standard stuff. If there were enough of a market, I would install one of these everyday for half of what the dealer in Jax wants. 1800.00? Nice.

There are so many dash cams to choose from, but I have some time to decide before my 110 gets here. Thank you for the ideas.

gary

Old 12-22-2021, 01:05 AM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FLwolverine
Thank you all for the responses. I like the OEM look so if I go that way I will definitely be installing it myself, I have seen the vids and it’s pretty standard stuff. If there were enough of a market, I would install one of these everyday for half of what the dealer in Jax wants. 1800.00? Nice.

There are so many dash cams to choose from, but I have some time to decide before my 110 gets here. Thank you for the ideas.

gary
Hi there!!
I just wanted to ask how it turned out? I’m trying to decide if I should do this for my 2022 Discovery.

thanks!!

Old 12-22-2021, 07:29 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by tuna_disco
Hi there!!
I just wanted to ask how it turned out? I’m trying to decide if I should do this for my 2022 Discovery.

thanks!!
hello,

funny you should ask this…… I recently had to re-do my Defender configuration for 2023 (yes, my order is still in the queue…….) And the dashcam is now on the option list. So of course I checked the box. Lol. Hopefully I will see the vehicle sometime in 22. No worries, maybe the heads up display will be available again soon……

-gary

IrrationalCPA (12-22-2021)

Quick Reply: Dash cam on a USA build