2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash cam on a USA build

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 02:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

For those of you still following this thread, PowerfulUk recently posted some harnesses that plug into the JLR camera harness location to allow you to install Garmin & a couple other DashCam types. Basically, you junction into the same harness and it runs the same power to your preferred dashcam up there. This was a game changer for me.

The following users liked this post:
_Allegedly (12-23-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 02:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
For those of you still following this thread, PowerfulUk recently posted some harnesses that plug into the JLR camera harness location to allow you to install Garmin & a couple other DashCam types. Basically, you junction into the same harness and it runs the same power to your preferred dashcam up there. This was a game changer for me.
Same! They got it to me in Florida in 4 days.

I did the BlackVue and it plugged right in. Getting the panel out with the sunroof controls is fairly easy if you watch Simon's video that shows the spot to pry without crushing the headliner. Otherwise it's trial and error and it's easy to leave a permanent pry mark.

Old 12-26-2021, 12:23 PM
Mudding
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly

I did the BlackVue and it plugged right in. Getting the panel out with the sunroof controls is fairly easy if you watch Simon's video that shows the spot to pry without crushing the headliner. Otherwise it's trial and error and it's easy to leave a permanent pry mark.
Did you do the DR750X-3CH Plus Series model and install front and rear? I'll watch Simon's video and see if it covers the rear wiring loop. I hate messing with trim panels. Any additional advice on the install?

Old 12-26-2021, 02:00 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by johnsonmc2000
Did you do the DR750X-3CH Plus Series model and install front and rear? I'll watch Simon's video and see if it covers the rear wiring loop. I hate messing with trim panels. Any additional advice on the install?
I did the 900x + 2 channel with rear camera and I'm pretty happy with it.

Simon's video was great for the overhead panel removal and wire harness install. I did change one thing from his install though. I used a 3ft zip tie (designed for AC duct) instead of his plastic ruler because I had a pack of them already and a ruler seemed a little stiff.

I never saw anyone else post up rear camera instructions so I actually did that a few weeks ago. I hope it helps and, if you have questions, happy to try to answer.

Fwiw, I'm extremely picky about making sure you can't tell anything was done and the only bit of "damage" was when I tried to use a spudger to pry the rear door card off. It left a 1mm size indent in the paint which is surprising considering they're pretty soft. Definitely need to use fingers with a good set of soft gloves to pop that panel off.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...camera-109588/

Here's the final install. The only quirk is that the front camera is behind the line in the factory tint so you can see that split in the image. I'm fine with it because I only use this in case there's an accident. People using it to record thier driving for social media or whatever would want to move it to the right to get fully behind the tint or get a different camera that fits more to the left.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 12-26-2021 at 02:21 PM.
johnsonmc2000 (12-26-2021)
Old 12-26-2021, 04:22 PM
Mudding
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

There are a couple of wiring harnesses on Powerfuluk now. Can I trouble you for the link to the correct one to use with the BlackVue? Thx

Old 12-26-2021, 04:24 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by johnsonmc2000
There are a couple of wiring harnesses on Powerfuluk now. Can I trouble you for the link to the correct one to use with the BlackVue? Thx
This is the one. Works great.The wire colors dont directly match the BlackVue wires but both harnesses are labeled out of the box so they match up pretty easily.

https://www.powerfuluk.com/vehicles/...nder-l663.html

Last edited by _Allegedly; 12-26-2021 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-14-2022, 08:33 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's the final install. The only quirk is that the front camera is behind the line in the factory tint so you can see that split in the image. I'm fine with it because I only use this in case there's an accident. People using it to record thier driving for social media or whatever would want to move it to the right to get fully behind the tint or get a different camera that fits more to the left.

Hi Allegedly,

Is that factory tint the "solar attenuating windshield"? My 22 does not have that cut-out. I am looking at installing a dash cam and initially ruled out the BlackVue because of that cut-out but now it's back on the list. I just have to decide between the Land Rover dash cam and the BlackVue (Land Rover sent me a $300 gift cert so the LR cam is about 1/2 the price of the BlackVue).

Would it be possible for you to post pictures of your windshield from further back? Both inside and out? I'm hoping to get an idea of how much the camera intrudes into the passenger's line of sight.

Thanks

Old 04-14-2022, 01:53 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Waterloo
Hi Allegedly,

Is that factory tint the "solar attenuating windshield"? My 22 does not have that cut-out. I am looking at installing a dash cam and initially ruled out the BlackVue because of that cut-out but now it's back on the list. I just have to decide between the Land Rover dash cam and the BlackVue (Land Rover sent me a $300 gift cert so the LR cam is about 1/2 the price of the BlackVue).

Would it be possible for you to post pictures of your windshield from further back? Both inside and out? I'm hoping to get an idea of how much the camera intrudes into the passenger's line of sight.

Thanks
​​​​​​Happy to. First, Pilkington will mark your glass like such

Mine has the thermal comfort mark.

Idk if that helps but I can check my window sticker or can give you the VIN if you want to call LR and see what mine is. It's not something I specifically specced but I have a '22 X-Dynamic HSE.

Old 04-14-2022, 02:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Wow! Now I'm interested to see what kind of hieroglyphics are on mine. It was same year/trim, so I suspect the same. But with JLR these days, never know what you have until you check.

_Allegedly (04-14-2022)
Old 04-14-2022, 02:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks _Allegedly. The cam placement doesn't look too obtrusive.

As Grouse said, I'm interested to see what markings are on my windshield. Does any forum member's windshield show more than the "thermal comfort" icon?

Quick Reply: Dash cam on a USA build