2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer First Service Suggestions - Hilarious

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 06:30 PM
Winching
Received 561 Likes on 252 Posts

The 5-liter NA V8 of my old 2013 LR4 was also missing the dipstick - engine oil level could only be checked electronically in the instrument cluster, via level sensors - but it had a suction tube with the top end located in the center of the oil fill cap opening (tube was visible after you removed the 710 cap), which you connected the extraction tool to with a rubber coupler to vacuum the oil out. Same exact procedure as vacuuming the oil out of the dipstick pipe otherwise. Check in there first, before removing skid plates and stuff.

Old 01-11-2024, 07:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

^^ Good call! There is a tube under the oil fill cap. You just saved me some bucks - thanks.

Old 01-11-2024, 07:47 PM
BD1
Three Wheeling
Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ErvG35
So my wife got a text from the dealer for the 1st service interval - what it entails and what it costs.

"Your one year is coming up on Dec 24th. The one year service for your vehicle includes an oil change, wheel service (alignment, rotate and balance, nitrogen), air induction service, and cabin filter with HVAC cleaning. $1679 + tax"

I about lost my mind. She has a 2023 V8 Carpathian. According to the manual, at 1 year the truck requires an oil change and cabin filter.

So what the hell is an "air induction service"?

Their reply:
"The air induction service is meant to eliminate any carbon build-up on the intake and exhaust valves in the engine. These vehicles are direct fuel injection meaning the fuel does not hit the exhaust and intake valves like it use to. Fuel and oil are fossil fuels and a natural byproduct of these is carbon build-up when you have ignition." Great non-answer explaining exactly what you'd be doing.

Alignment at 10,500 miles?
"The alignment is recommended once a year due to the fact that these vehicles are running on an air suspension along with the 4X4 system on these vehicles running off of sensors and components that rely on the alignment angles to be within spec. This also eliminates excessive strain on the 4X4 system including your differentials and transfer case."

Tire rotate and balance I'm ok with. But here is their rational:
"You don't want more than a 2/32 variance between any tires due to the additional strain that it puts on the drivetrain with these being full time all wheel drive vehicles. We have seen differential claims under warranty denied if the tread depth variance is more than 2/32 between all the tires."

So then I questioned him on what exactly is required and if I skip any of these additional services, can this void my warranty.
Their reply:
"The owners manual is a baseline as to what Land Rover wants done on the vehicle at the specific conditions under normal driving conditions. In the owners manual, it also states that service schedules for arduous operating conditions are not displayed in the instrument panel. In the Chicagoland area we have routine stop and go driving. We have extreme conditions. We have dusty conditions with construction and keep in mind the ozone days we had this past summer with the soot in the air. Land Rover does not list the air induction in their baseline but with the driving conditions we have here in the Chicagoland area, we as an automotive group and other dealers in the area have these recommendations in place on top of what Land Rover has as a baseline in the owners manual."
But what will you actually be doing besides changing the air filter? No answer.

Mind you, my wife's commute is 4 miles each way on days she actually goes to the office. And, the most off-roading this this truck has seen is the curb at the end of our driveway.

I prefer to do my own service but was considering having them do the first oil change. No chance at that any more!

So I do have an actual oil change question. According to the owners manual, the transfer case capacity is 9.3 quarts for the 3.0L engine and 8.5 quarts for the 5.0L engine. Is this correct? I'm surprised by the lower value for the 5.0L Possible typo?
Also, I'm old school so I'll be draining the oil from the pan and I really like the idea of this "drain plug valve". https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...-119176/page2/
Are all of the plugs, and locations, the same on our engines? Does anybody know which part number fits?

Thanks
I am in Chicagoland also.....what dealer?

Old 01-12-2024, 12:44 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hinsdale.
I also stopped in to try and purchase the oil from them.
Nope. They said they only have it in bulk.

Old 01-12-2024, 07:51 AM
BD1
Three Wheeling
Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

I use Knauz in Lake Bluff....they are pretty good. So far none of these shenanigans. Years ago we had this type of crap from Hoffman Estates dealer.

Old 01-15-2024, 01:20 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Woah....that's crazy. The dealership in Newport Beach CA only charged $355 for an elective early oil and oil filter change (I wasn't waiting until 21K miles!!) and that included the cost/labor for removing the bottom skid plates and removing the old oil via the drain plug under the engine (not just vacuuming the old oil out) and then putting everything back together. If (typically inflated)
So Cal prices are more reasonable than your dealership.....

Old 01-15-2024, 03:00 AM
Drifting
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogpilot
I didn't pay attention to who JLR sourced the V8 from.
The V8 in the Defender is still the in-house design. It is the same 5.0 litre engine that has been in the Jaguars and Range Rovers for the past decade before it was replaced by the 4.4 litre BMW V8.

Old 01-15-2024, 09:16 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

No chance this needs an alignment already.
I'm pretty much in agreement with you on everything but this, which sounds like you're saying, "With only 1 year/10,000 miles there's no way an alignment is needed." IMO you could need an alignment after hitting something on the way home from the dealer Day 1. Especially (ahem...) since it's your wife's car. Of course, I say that only from my personal experience. Everyone else's mileage may vary considerably.

The following users liked this post:
ba_ (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 10:24 AM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

Thanks for your response and the links as I haven't purchased anything yet.
Does the 5.0L really hold less oil than the 3.0L?
From the digital manual:

Old 01-15-2024, 12:08 PM
Mudding
Received 270 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCNB
The dealership in Newport Beach CA only charged $355 for an elective early oil and oil filter
I went to that same dealership but they charged me $700!!! for oil service:

Oil change service labor: $324.50
Filter: $35.20
Drain plug: $21.87
9 quarts Oil: $203.22
Oil detergent flush: 86.85

I won’t be going there again.

Last edited by dj200; 01-15-2024 at 12:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Dealer First Service Suggestions - Hilarious