2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender 110 delivered without USB/power outlets in second row. Easy fix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 05:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

23.5 MY, I have rear USBs, I dont have 12V sockets and wire looms are not available in the console, looks like permanent delete (unless going aftermarket).

Last edited by TeddyG; 03-29-2023 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-29-2023, 09:03 PM
Mudding
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

This was the main reason why I ended up buying an early ‘22 vs a new ‘23 model even if it was 1 year old and with 9k miles. I just couldn’t deal with the fact all these things were missing when my wife’s defender had them (also an early ‘22 edition)

Old 03-30-2023, 10:19 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by is21447
This was the main reason why I ended up buying an early ‘22 vs a new ‘23 model even if it was 1 year old and with 9k miles. I just couldn’t deal with the fact all these things were missing when my wife’s defender had them (also an early ‘22 edition)
I recently opted to do the same thing. Bought an early 2022 with 17k miles but nearly 4 years factory warranty since it was certified. Has everything including sunglass holder, digital dash, 360 cameras, soft close tailgate, etc.

Old 03-30-2023, 11:59 AM
4wd Low
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed the loom from powerfuluk. It was a 45 min job being extremely careful, and very easy to do. They also had the missing usb-c connectors in stock last I checked.

here was my post
https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...-looms-116494/

The following users liked this post:
ficklma1 (08-22-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 12:49 PM
Mudding
Received 170 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by wcaule1
FYI anyone still waiting can call their dealer and have them order the USBs for install (no charge). If need be, mention this bulletin above. Your dashboard USB-C should be added, and if you are missing all four blanks in the back, expect to have exactly (2) USB-Cs installed, as the car is only wired to receive (2) from the factory. Older models (2020-21) could receive 4. If you have a 2023 like me, you would need to buy a third-party Y splitter to add 2 more (for a total of 4) and JLR won't do this since it's not the factory plan.

That said, I had a less than positive dealer experience at another Ohio dealer (surprise I know) on getting my USBs installed as part of the recall campaign. Upon review my service docs, they tried to bill JLR corporate for (3) USB-Cs, but only installed 2 (in passenger dash and a single USB of the four blanks) in my 110 X. There was no intention of installing the 3rd. Seems like a case of laziness and being deceitful if you ask me.

At one point I was told that "my vehicle isn't wired for more than one on the back." Knowing better and getting a bit fed up of the BS, I decided to get out my toolbag and work on the Defender at the dealer myself. The service manager and team learned first hand from my demonstration that there is indeed a second wrapped up plug/wire to accept my "missing" USB-C. But to be fair, I bet they already knew that. I ended up demanding my billed part to be relinquished to me, which I took home in a fresh box and installed it myself in 15 minutes of garage time. If you want something done right, just do it yourself I guess. Gotta love the JLR way of making their customers feel appreciated, right?

Call me jaded, but doing it again, I'd see if you can pick up all USBs as backordered parts from your dealer, and just do the install yourself.

Last edited by DrPizz; 08-22-2023 at 01:24 PM.
WAFOX (08-22-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 11:22 PM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DrPizz
FYI anyone still waiting can call their dealer and have them order the USBs for install (no charge). If need be, mention this bulletin above. Your dashboard USB-C should be added, and if you are missing all four blanks in the back, expect to have exactly (2) USB-Cs installed, as the car is only wired to receive (2) from the factory. Older models (2020-21) could receive 4. If you have a 2023 like me, you would need to buy a third-party Y splitter to add 2 more (for a total of 4) and JLR won't do this since it's not the factory plan.

That said, I had a less than positive dealer experience at another Ohio dealer (surprise I know) on getting my USBs installed as part of the recall campaign. Upon review my service docs, they tried to bill JLR corporate for (3) USB-Cs, but only installed 2 (in passenger dash and a single USB of the four blanks) in my 110 X. There was no intention of installing the 3rd. Seems like a case of laziness and being deceitful if you ask me.

At one point I was told that "my vehicle isn't wired for more than one on the back." Knowing better and getting a bit fed up of the BS, I decided to get out my toolbag and work on the Defender at the dealer myself. The service manager and team learned first hand from my demonstration that there is indeed a second wrapped up plug/wire to accept my "missing" USB-C. But to be fair, I bet they already knew that. I ended up demanding my billed part to be relinquished to me, which I took home in a fresh box and installed it myself in 15 minutes of garage time. If you want something done right, just do it yourself I guess. Gotta love the JLR way of making their customers feel appreciated, right?

Call me jaded, but doing it again, I'd see if you can pick up all USBs as backordered parts from your dealer, and just do the install yourself.

Wow,Good stuff!

I just purchased my 23.5 two months ago. I have 2 usb ports in the rear, Am I suppose to also have usb-c in the two blank spots?

Old 08-23-2023, 08:08 AM
Mudding
Received 170 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by dshark1
Wow,Good stuff!

I just purchased my 23.5 two months ago. I have 2 usb ports in the rear, Am I suppose to also have usb-c in the two blank spots?
If you already have two in the back passenger area, then you are not "supposed to" have any more from JLR. You only have two wire harnesses to plug into 2 sockets back there, despite the presence of 4 slots.

If you desire to have 4 total, however, it is possible to do yourself, but you need to buy a third-party Y splitter to branch off the existing harnesses in order add 2 more (for a total of 4). For example, something like this (plus the USB plugs): https://www.powerfuluk.com/2x-rear-p...nder-l663.html

WAFOX (08-23-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 09:27 AM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DrPizz
If you already have two in the back passenger area, then you are not "supposed to" have any more from JLR. You only have two wire harnesses to plug into 2 sockets back there, despite the presence of 4 slots.

If you desire to have 4 total, however, it is possible to do yourself, but you need to buy a third-party Y splitter to branch off the existing harnesses in order add 2 more (for a total of 4). For example, something like this (plus the USB plugs): https://www.powerfuluk.com/2x-rear-p...nder-l663.html

Thx for the helpful info!

DrPizz (08-24-2023)