Sponsored by:

Defender 2023 stock tow ball replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2023, 06:32 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defender 2023 stock tow ball replacement

Couldn’t find this in the threads so I’m posting here:

Does anybody know if you can remove the tow ball from the stock tow ball mount and install a 2 5/16 inch ball instead of the stock 2.0 inch (and smaller) one?

I’m trying to get the right length and rise spec that Land Rover is asking for so my tow assist and advanced trailer back up work correctly.

Old 05-07-2023, 08:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

As I'm sure you've read, the manual has a range of acceptable range of measurements for the position of the ball. I was able to find a hitch and ball (for the 2" square receiver) with a 3.5" drop at my local trailer supply (I'm sure loads less expensive than the LR option), and I've been completely satisfied with it.

What I'm not satisfied with is the tow assist. I don't have the advanced tow assist package, just the guidance lines in the camera backup view. I find the guidance doesn't add anything of value for me. Perhaps advanced tow assist is worthwhile, I'd be curious to know if anyone has opinions about it.

Old 05-07-2023, 10:32 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by racerpeter
As I'm sure you've read, the manual has a range of acceptable range of measurements for the position of the ball. I was able to find a hitch and ball (for the 2" square receiver) with a 3.5" drop at my local trailer supply (I'm sure loads less expensive than the LR option), and I've been completely satisfied with it.

What I'm not satisfied with is the tow assist. I don't have the advanced tow assist package, just the guidance lines in the camera backup view. I find the guidance doesn't add anything of value for me. Perhaps advanced tow assist is worthwhile, I'd be curious to know if anyone has opinions about it.
With advanced tow assist at least, and with air suspension, the manual says a specific range of ball height and a pin to ball length of no more than 6.9 inches. There are NO aftermarket hitches that match this in any way. And anything longer affects the backup angle guidance of advanced tow assist. Unfortunately I need to get the official ball mount. But I’m asking if the ball itself can be replaced.

Last edited by martoony; 05-07-2023 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-08-2023, 11:13 AM
Mudding
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by martoony
With advanced tow assist at least, and with air suspension, the manual says a specific range of ball height and a pin to ball length of no more than 6.9 inches. There are NO aftermarket hitches that match this in any way. And anything longer affects the backup angle guidance of advanced tow assist. Unfortunately I need to get the official ball mount. But I’m asking if the ball itself can be replaced.
From what I've read, the OEM hitch ball mount has a "quick" release for the ball for changing to other sizes. Can't confirm, that I read somewhere.

Old 05-08-2023, 11:42 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by rakusak
From what I've read, the OEM hitch ball mount has a "quick" release for the ball for changing to other sizes. Can't confirm, that I read somewhere.
you’re right it does, but it only comes with 2 different sizes and I think they are custom to work with a quick release system. In the picture, it looks like there is a nut on the bottom that you can take off and put in a custom ball but I can’t confirm. Does anyone have one of these?

Old 05-08-2023, 11:43 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by martoony
With advanced tow assist at least, and with air suspension, the manual says a specific range of ball height and a pin to ball length of no more than 6.9 inches. There are NO aftermarket hitches that match this in any way.
I'll be damned -- I bought mine not caring too much about the length. I suppose I just assumed that LR wouldn't be so lame as to make the OEM ball mount a weird length.

Old 05-08-2023, 11:44 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

Looking at the image of the official hitch, it looks like the ball could easily be replaced with a 2 5/16" one. Great if the drop is appropriate for your rig.

My solution was to get a hitch with the correct drop and then drill a new hole at about 6.5".

Old 05-08-2023, 11:57 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by RH5555
Looking at the image of the official hitch, it looks like the ball could easily be replaced with a 2 5/16" one. Great if the drop is appropriate for your rig.

My solution was to get a hitch with the correct drop and then drill a new hole at about 6.5".
This is exactly my plan. Since so many trailers etc. have varying heights, but the shaft usually has space for another hole... The one I am looking hat has the two hitch holes spaced apart at 1.5" so as long as the "new" hole is centered and about the same distance away from existing holes, I should be good (fingers crossed).

Old 05-09-2023, 10:13 AM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

pardon my ignorance, but do we need a special tow hitch to go with the defender 110?

I was going to just go buy one at a store to tow a haul trailer across the country.

I've towed plenty of times, but not with my defender, and the vehicle already had a tow hitch installed.

Old 05-09-2023, 10:16 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by KamboMD
pardon my ignorance, but do we need a special tow hitch to go with the defender 110?

I was going to just go buy one at a store to tow a haul trailer across the country.

I've towed plenty of times, but not with my defender, and the vehicle already had a tow hitch installed.

Yes and no.

The manual recommends a specific distance (center of tow ball to pin of 6.9" max). As long as you get a 2" receiver, it will fit, but it may not be within Manufacture specs of the distance I mentioned. With longer distance a few things MAY be effected when towing, including backup assistance (if you have that feature), sway impact, tongue capacity, and others.

Quick Reply: Defender 2023 stock tow ball replacement