Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender 90

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 06:43 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defender 90

I do not see any 90’s on the road or dealer inventory. Are the 90’s only available through ordering?

Old 03-10-2021, 07:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

They're just starting to roll into dealers.
Give it a couple months and you should be seeing them.

Old 03-11-2021, 05:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

I've been told my local dealer will have a 90 for me to test drive in a week or two. This is in NY state. If I do a search of dealers within 500 miles I think a few actually do show up in stock, one was in Pennsylvania if I recall. I was digging around for some last night. My tester will be the 6 cyl though and I will be ordering a 4 cyl so this is just more to see how the shorter wheelbase compares. I do hope it's the coil sprung version of the 90 because in my current builds I've ditched the air suspension. That may be a mistake, I did like the 110 more than I thought I would. I had a few nitpicks but the vehicle made a positive impression.

Old 03-12-2021, 07:59 AM
Mudding
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

I actually got to see and drive one at my local dealer yesterday. My observations:
  1. The 90s doors are a full 8" longer to facilitate the entry into the back seat.
  2. The rear seat is very spacious on leg room.
  3. The view out the side windows is awesome!
  4. The alpine/safari windows are better placed for rear seat people vs the 110.
  5. The cargo area is pretty small. Certainly larger than behind the rear seats of a 2 door Wrangler, but it would be hard to fit luggage for 4 people back there.
I had originally wanted the 90 and still kind of do, but the 110 is so much more practical even for my wife and I as empty nesters. When we load the kayaks on top and bikes on the back, the supporting equipment takes up a lot of room for just those activities. Throw in dog kennels, coolers, and luggage, we would be hard pressed to be able to travel in the 90 to Colorado, Moab or the Black Hills of SD. I will admit that I travel heavy with extra equipment , as you never really know what you might need.

But, I can say I like the dimensions of the 90 better for both off-road and aesthetics. If it were just me and the dogs, I would for sure have the 90.

Rob

Last edited by crewcabrob; 03-12-2021 at 08:02 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by crewcabrob:
angelboing (03-12-2021), Chief65 (03-12-2021), dmo1028 (03-12-2021), PatriotDefender (03-12-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 08:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by crewcabrob
I actually got to see and drive one at my local dealer yesterday. My observations:
  1. The 90s doors are a full 8" longer to facilitate the entry into the back seat.
  2. The rear seat is very spacious on leg room.
  3. The view out the side windows is awesome!
  4. The alpine/safari windows are better placed for rear seat people vs the 110.
  5. The cargo area is pretty small. Certainly larger than behind the rear seats of a 2 door Wrangler, but it would be hard to fit luggage for 4 people back there.
I had originally wanted the 90 and still kind of do, but the 110 is so much more practical even for my wife and I as empty nesters. When we load the kayaks on top and bikes on the back, the supporting equipment takes up a lot of room for just those activities. Throw in dog kennels, coolers, and luggage, we would be hard pressed to be able to travel in the 90 to Colorado, Moab or the Black Hills of SD. I will admit that I travel heavy with extra equipment , as you never really know what you might need.

But, I can say I like the dimensions of the 90 better for both off-road and aesthetics. If it were just me and the dogs, I would for sure have the 90.

Rob
Cool, was it coil springs? and if so how was the ride quality compared with the air ? Also curious if you think three large suitcases would fit in the trunk if you were to for example flatten the seat behind the driver? That's about all I would need to take along if I take my two sons on a road trip vaca.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:39 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m thinking the 90 would be perfect for my wife and I. We currently have a 2-door Jeep Wrangler, so we’re used to having no cargo space; even a little bit more room would be great. We’ve removed the rear seats in the Jeep and would likely do the same in the 90; I’ve read that the seat bottom easily pops out (5 clips), but has anyone tried a full delete including the seat backs? Just wondering how easy it would be to swap them in and out.

A full delete with a custom flat floor would be nice. I know there is a brace that I believe is structural, so perhaps a shallow drawer from the rear door to that brace, and a platform on top to mount a fridge and kitchen box.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:47 AM
Mudding
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief65
Cool, was it coil springs? and if so how was the ride quality compared with the air ? Also curious if you think three large suitcases would fit in the trunk if you were to for example flatten the seat behind the driver? That's about all I would need to take along if I take my two sons on a road trip vaca.
I would guess that you could get three large suitcases in the back. If you stand them up and use the height, that would be your best bet.

I drove on the air suspended version. It drove the same as any stock 110 as far as I could tell. I've only driven my 110 with the lift and tires/wheels swapped, so I can't tell if there was any real difference between mine and a stock ersion.

Rob